Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out what to do. I would like realistic thunder/howls/witches/owls/groans/ghosts, etc. for my cemetery, but at the same time, I like it when people have Halloween themed music at their haunts too. Last year I used MS "Born of the Night". I was wondering what you all normally do...?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm not big on music unless it's low-level, dirge-like and fits in with the sound effects I'm playing.

As for sound effects, I've been scrounging them together over the years from various sources such as a really old record (yes, vinyl) we used eons ago, some cassette tapes, CDs and various hows/chains/laughter/screams/etc I've downloaded from various places. Mix these together, create one big long-playing CD and loop that all night, and we're in business.

The mood I like to set is eerie, uneasy and creepy - as opposed to thrilling, dangerous and blatantly scary. Music tends to detract from the eerie feeling, in my opinion.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm just the opposite - but I think it is more a function of what you want out of your haunt rather than a right or wrong way to do it.

I will be blaring the Ghastly Ones cd "Haunting We Will Go" from the house. It's Dick Dale meets the Munsters - surf guitar and creeepiness. Generally really upbeat. Of course - I also hand out beer to the neighbors I know on Halloween - so my haunt is more of a party than not.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Last year we played the (get this) SLEEPY HOLLOW sound track fairly low on a stereo at the entrance to our haunt.
It's so lame, but we just kinda threw that aspect together.
This year we won't have any music playing, we might just have a cd with some screams and stuff on it and put a little into the woods so it sounds like it's coming from deep in the woods.
That should be good. :D

I'm not a big fan of really loud music or anything.
It's gotta be suttle. (Spelling??)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...I also hand out beer to the neighbors I know on Halloween - so my haunt is more of a party than not.
And I suppose if you hand out enough beer, your patrons will love whatever you play, right?:D Do you make them trick-or-treat for it? Ha. I did check out Amazon.com: A-Haunting We Will Go-Go: The Ghastly Ones: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51W87H0DWAL and really like the Haulin' Hearse track. Beach Boys go Scooby Doo! Will have to look further into that one...Still having trouble deciding what sounds to use. Both definitely set a specific mood...Thanks for your insight gentlemen...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I love the Ghastly ones!

To me, because I am a music freak and musician(I play the bass) I think it depends on the feeling you are going after. Music is a seperate entity and can either complement or detract from the scene. I like to have my different zones with their own sounds and not go for the whole all-in-one soundtrack(I find it annoying) like so many CD's I have already! I collect everything Halloween/Horror related and listen to and buy/download film soundtracks and scores. I like a 3D feel to my haunt where it's like you are surrounded. Graveyard track has wind/owls and crickets. Up by my door we did a wake scene in the past with the coffin and candles with a funeral dirge. Everything has its own sound. I really like to try and make the environment better with sound,its fun! Even if its not the best surround sound equipment, as long as it is seperate I like it. :jol:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Glad to see other Ghastly One fans out there...

I ordered their new cd last week and am just waiting for it to arrive.

Eric - k - Is that the Sleepy Hollow soundtrack to the Tim Burton movie? I will check it out - even if you thought it was lame... I know no other movie that evokes the atmosphere of Halloween more than Sleepy Hollow (and the original Halloween)

·
Registered
723 Posts
I like to have ambient sounds (wind - howls - cackles- etc...) running in the yard itself. When we open the door is where you get the music - pipe organ, Clive Manor, MS, Pumpkinland (listen to 13thtrack.com all year long anyway).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I do a sci-fi haunt theme so I'll be playing a recording of the original H.G. Wells War of the Worlds show. It's long enough (57 mins) that I won't go psycho after hearing the same dang song for the 30th time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a lot of mp3 files of sound effects records and scary music, and a program that simulates a DJ setup - I use this to "mix" a soundtrack. I have made several twent minute mixes fading from music, thunder, Haunted Mansion soundtrack, etc etc. when I get one I like I put it in the pile.

At showtime I download the mixes to an iPod and hook it up to my speakers in the yard.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm not into sound effects. I play music that sets the mood for that particular scene and yet sometimes, a scene requires nothing at all. We have a bar/disco in our haunt this year. And of course, we play appropriate dance music. However, two rooms over is a bedroom scene. In it is played a song by Enya that I first heard during the rolling of the credits on Stephen King's Sleepwalkers. Enya is not someone you would normally hear in a haunt. She hums through the whole song. This makes it even more eerie.
I think having your customers encounter the unsual is what helps set them off kilter subconsciously thus better targets for the impending scare.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In it is played a song by Enya that I first heard during the rolling of the credits on Stephen King's Sleepwalkers. Enya is not someone you would normally hear in a haunt. She hums through the whole song. This makes it even more eerie.
Hey Empress, what's the name of the Enya song? Sounds neat...

·
Registered
723 Posts
I think having your customers encounter the unsual is what helps set them off kilter subconsciously thus better targets for the impending scare.
And I think, right there, you have summed the whole thing up very nicely Empress. That is the whole point of the sounds - the sights - even the smells we strive to give our guests and the ToTs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Some music, like creepy organ music, is as good as sound effects. I don't really go for the full on orchestral stuff as it does take away from the creepy factor. Lighting is absouletely essential, and fog adds that over the top element to any graveyard.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts