Haunt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Mel Brooks is working on a Spaceballs cartoon, set to air in 2007.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I believe Mel Brooks ran out of steam by this point. There are a few jokes here and there that are funny, but for the most part, the film falls flat. It's definitely not a Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
"Hi! I'm Barf! I'm a mog...half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend."

I judge this movie on it's own merits..Comparing it with his past movies is like comparing an artists sculpture or painting based on what they did before. I don't know if it's valid to do that or not, I just prefer not to. I love Mel Brooks' movies, and I too have my favorites, but wouldn't say Spaceballs falls flat. It's just different than the movies he made with Gene Wilder, who starred in both Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. Those moveis, had Gene not been in them, wouldn't be heralded as high as they are today, IMO.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Since Wilder had a lot to do with those particular films, I totally agree with your last statement. I tend to compare things sometimes, because I'm my own worst critic when it comes to my works. I always want to better myself and when I see a lackluster or just out and out bad product churned out by me, I trash it and start over. I can't tell you how many writing projects I have done this way.

It's easy to compare another's works to their crowning achievements, because you are supposed to seek ways to better your craft and to top what folks consider your best work. I don't believe Mel has done this with Spaceballs. Apparently I am not the only one who feels this way. When was the last major motion picture he had produced for the big screen? He's a comic genius, I grant you, but he hasn't been as great as he was with the films I mentioned before. It's very sad he reached his pinnacle over 30 years ago. :(

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
I liked Spaceballs and I own most of Mel Brook's collection on DVD. Heck, I even have Dracula: Dead and Loving It. I can't help it - I have a weird sense of humor.

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Oh, my God. It's Mega Maid. She's gone from suck to blow.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Eh, like everything else, it's all subjective. I'm a Spaceballs fan. I find some of the humor to be forced and kind of dumbed down, but every time I see Dark Helmet I laugh.

EVERY TIME.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts