Haunt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose anyone know what the materials are inside the Mystic Lite crystal ball available at Spencer's Gifts? I would like to duplicate the effect inside an 10" glass ball. I have searched online and have come up with nothing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Looks like another gadget that was around for a few years and then went out of production. The only problem I see with it is that it's actually got water and some glittery stuff in it. Eventually that could leak.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
GOT,

The material inside the Mystic Lite is called rheoscopic fluid and is similar to the pearly shampoos you can find in the store. You can buy a 4 oz. bottle of concentrate that makes 2 gallons of the stuff here for $10:

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1218

I did a quick Google search to see if you could make it at home but came up empty. Hope that helps.

Rich

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ghoul. Might try it some day. That Mystic Light is gone from E-bay. Hope mine never breaks.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Heh! I just realized the original post from from more than 5 years ago. LOL! I love when old threads get resurrected!

·
Registered
96 Posts
This item was also sold at Walgreens quite a few years ago in a slightly different style so maybe if you search for this, you might have some luck. It has several settings for different light movement/colors.I bought several for my Fortune Teller prop which was copied from another haunter back at the same time. I can't remember who he was,... but I loved it and have had an absolute blast with mine. Here's a pic of the box and a video of the ball in action. Much better in person...

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
Sounds like a fun project.

I didn't realize the mystic balls were no longer being sold. I had one in the past and it burst in cold storage. I bought another afterwards. It's a blue one that I picked up at Spencer gifts years ago. As described above it does have a pearlescent liquid inside that swirls around. I'm not sure if it moves by a pump or impeller of some sort. After storing for months the glittery particles kind of settles out but will re-disperse after running for awhile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts