Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep--another swamp critter. I'm actually submitting early because I'm leaving town next week. This isn't necessarily exactly a prop--although it could certainly be used as one. But it's a mask (I can even move the lower jaw). But I'm submitting anyway just for the fun of it.

9 ounces homemade Worbla @ .75/oz $6.75
1 yd. black fabric 2.00
2 yds. cheesecloth @ .75/yd 1.50
10 feet aluminum foil, (50ft/3.32) .70
10 glue sticks (50/$7) 1.40
1 ball cap 3.00
2 oz dye (8oz/$4.20) 1.05
20 Dixie drink cups (100/$3.64) .72

Total: $17.12

Unfortunately I kept forgetting to take pictures as I went along so I'll have to talk through the process.

First, I made an armature using aluminum foil and hot glue (I used a wig head on a flowerpot to hold it as I worked, but you could just make a head-sized ball of foil or newspaper to start)

Using a pig skull as reference, I cut pieces of worbla to match the skull suture lines and stuck them together. The teeth were also of worbla, but made with flour instead of sawdust--just rolled it into logs, cut to length, and pressed a groove in the top with a knife. I made a separate lower jaw and tied the two pieces together with elastic.

I really liked it at this stage, but thought it needed more oomph so I added horns made of stacked Dixie cups and painted in some highlights, shadows, and blood.

The top of the mask was glued to a ball cap (worn backwards) and then strips of torn sheeting and cheesecloth were glued on to hide the wearer (me)

Some useful videos:
Worbla

Sculpting with aluminum foil

·
Clean "cut"
27,007 Posts
That is totally cool, so very creative

·
Muddled Moderator
28,214 Posts
Nice work, now I need to learn about worbla.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Worbla is very interesting to work with. Think of a piece of stiff cardboard that softens when you heat it and then hardens when it cools off. You can even mush a piece and use it like clay. Check out their website ( worbla.com) to see what people have done.

Downside is that the real stuff is bloody expensive and really really thin (so you have to double it). Making your own (check out the video) costs a lot less but takes a bit of time. It really helps if you have a pasta machine for rolling it.

·
H.B.I.C.
9,101 Posts
Very cool! The skull looks so real and you did such a nice job making it look like one.

·
Headless & Haunting
4,767 Posts
Very creative Spinwitch - well done.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I want people to take away from this is to get away from the thought "but I can't sculpt." Because I thought I couldn't--so I was pretty darned pleased when it worked out. I think that's why I like the aluminum foil technique--I feel more free to experiment when I haven't done much of a cash outlay.

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
That is one wicked cool mask!

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Spinwitch, I love your Beast of the Swamp. My first thought when I first looked at the photos was that you had used a real skull and then when I started reading I thought wow she created that. I remember you talking about worbla in other posts and I watched the video from obsessive creative disorder (funny man). I really want to try this myself. I find it fascinating how much difference the fillers make in the texture and color between the skull and teeth. I haven't tried sculpting yet but I really want to try this year. Also really creative how you made the horns from dixie cups (another surprise once I started reading). Would love to see a picture of the mask being modeled (just because I think it would be fun to see it being worn). Great job! :D

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol:I absolutely LOVE this prop! This is an inspiration for everyone how you take nothing and make it into such a realistic looking prop. (love the aluminum foil sculpt) Great job, it is fantastic!:D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spinwitch, I love your Beast of the Swamp. My first thought when I first looked at the photos was that you had used a real skull and then when I started reading I thought wow she created that. I remember you talking about worbla in other posts and I watched the video from obsessive creative disorder (funny man). I really want to try this myself. I find it fascinating how much difference the fillers make in the texture and color between the skull and teeth. I haven't tried sculpting yet but I really want to try this year. Also really creative how you made the horns from dixie cups (another surprise once I started reading). Would love to see a picture of the mask being modeled (just because I think it would be fun to see it being worn). Great job! :D
Learn from my mistake--if you try making worbla, use InstaMorph (the plastic component). Scientific name is polycaprolactate. I assumed that all polycaprolactates were alike (because don't we all make that mistake??) and I got a different brand. The worbla I tried to make from that was a sticky gooey mess. Live and learn.

Pics of the mask being modeled are coming up. I finished the costume today--put the whole thing on and had the husband unit take some pictures. Then, after I had taken it off, I discovered that the memory card wasn't in the camera :-( It takes a bit to get dressed and I'm over it today--so maybe tomorrow (I seem to specialize in costumes that are awkward to put on, hot to wear, and have limited visibility)

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
:lolkin: That's funny Spinwitch and understandable you didn't want to get dressed up right away again. Still, when you can, I really would love to see the whole thing!! :biggrinkin:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK--here I am in full regalia. I worked the line at the haunted trail and got some pretty good reactions! Hard to see in this picture, but I was wearing 4" wedgies with hooves on the front. I don't normally wear high heels but it helped give the proper line to the legs. The pants were also padded to give the "backward knee" animal look. When I was pretending to be a statue at one point, a guest even commented "how the heck can they stand with their knees locked and backwards like that?" That's what makes it all worth while. Also got my picture taken a few dozen times with the guests. That's the joy--knowing that you've given someone a Halloween moment.

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
You look fabulous, dahling!:D

·
Clean "cut"
27,007 Posts
That costume is Boss!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts