Haunt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Swamp Wyvern (wyvernis Paludibus is an endangered species that is found only in the remote and lonely area of Louisiana known as Bayou Self.

It is rarely seen due to its protective coloration, but sometimes wanderers in the bayou can hear it's cry, an odd gurgling squeak with a whistling sound toward the end. This reclusive animal normally eats snakes, frogs, opossums, and armadillos.

It is one of the smaller wyverns, topping out at about 5 feet but recent use of the bayou for an illicit chemical dumping ground seems to have caused an increase in size, (there are rumors of individual reaching nine feet in length) and with increased development of these areas the likelihood human-wyvern contact will increase and attacks upon human could become more frequent.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spinwitch's Swamp Wyvern (building)

The Swamp Wyvern was built almost entirely of recycled stuff I had laying around. My best guess as to cost if buying new is this:

1 tomato cage: $2.00
Electric Fencing Wire, 100 feet at 1.5 cents a foot: 1.50
landscaping burlap, 2 yards at $1.25 yard: 2.50
Duct tape, 10 feet at 4 cents a foo:t .40
Brown paper packing tape, 1/3 roll ($7 per roll): 2.30
Masking tape, 5 feet at 2 cents a foot: .10
Dye for the burlap, 1/2 box ($2.50 per box): 1.25
Handmade felt (4 ounces; raw fleece at $5/pound): 1.25
1/2 can contact cement at $6.50 per can: 3.25
1/4 can spray adhesive at $10/can: 2.50
Hot glue sticks, 6 at 14 cents each: .84
4 water bottles: free
2 milk jugs: free
newspaper free
Misc. stuff at less that 5 cents each: .35
3 popsicle sticks, bit of spray paint, tad of craft paint
2 glass cabochons, 1 Styrofoam cup, sewing thread
a bit of framing wire

TOTAL: $18.24

Comments: the dyed burlap was salvaged of a less-than-successful costume last year (but loved the color and texture). The felt (used for the wings) was an experiment, but again loved the texture.

Something like cheesecloth could be substituted.

I make armature wire out of the fencing wire by twisting a folded piece together (I have a how-on this in the how-to section)

The Build:

Cut the biggest loop off the tomato cage. Cut it, overlap it to make it smaller, and use tape and wire to fasten it to extend the top of the cage. Make two more small loops and also wire them on. Extend the wire down to a point.

Cover all this with paper packing tape;

Make feet out of wire and pad with newspaper and masking tape.

Make legs out of two water bottles each and attach to the feet.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spinwitch's Swamp Wyvern (building, cont)

Make the wing frames out of wire

The head and ears are made from a couple of milk jugs

(after my husband called it 'the flying swamp pig" I stuck on a Styrofoam cup to give him a pointier nose.

The legs were taped on, the ends of the tomato cage were formed into the neck, and the head stuck on the wires. The ends of the wing frames were poked into the body and taped into place.

The dyed burlap was cut into rough triangles. Bit by bit, the wyvern was painted with contact cement. The burlap was sprayed with adhesive and then stuck on. The felt was sewn to the wing frames. The eyes were made with painted glass cabochons.

The teeth and claws were made by piping hot glue onto a curved piece of PVC pipe (use PAM on it first or they won't come off). They were glued into place and painted with craft paint.

I had fun making him--and I wouldn't have done it without this challenge (and it's deadline)

NOTE: No armadillos were harmed in the making of this prop

·
Super Moderator
64,189 Posts
I'm laughing at your husband's "flying swamp pig" description:jol:

Dragons are right up there with gargoyles when it comes to my favorite things, so I give the swamp wyvern two thumbs up! And he doesn't look at all like shrimp scampi:googly:

·
Clean "cut"
27,468 Posts
WOW! Totally awesome!! Love your vision

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol:I LOVE the Wyvern, you nailed the body on this rare creature! Do you know what I love as much as I do the creature? Your creative description and backstory on it. You have a wonderful imagination and your execution of the Wyvern is splendid.:D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:jol:I LOVE the Wyvern, you nailed the body on this rare creature! Do you know what I love as much as I do the creature? Your creative description and backstory on it. You have a wonderful imagination and your execution of the Wyvern is splendid.:D
Thank you! I work at a natural history museum so it's natural for me to rattle on about a critter.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,242 Posts
I'm sure the armadillos feel much safer with the wyvern around. :). Nice creature.

·
H.B.I.C.
9,101 Posts
Nicely done. I like his wings and his overall look. Love the back story...or is it?

·
Batty Beautiful
5,633 Posts
Wow, I'm seriously jealous! Great creature!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Spinwitch I love your Swamp Wyvern! I've said this before but again I'm always so attracted to spooky creatures. I really loved all your creativity and your back story. Your Swamp Wyvern is creepy, original and awesome!! Congratulations on such great work!! :D :eek:

·
Headless & Haunting
Creating a massive fundraiser haunted house for our local Scout group.
4,773 Posts
I missed all these while I was away on holidays! That is totally amazing Spinwitch!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts