Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hi - I checked out the site and have quite a few comments. These are not meant as bashing. The fact that you even have a site puts you way ahead of a lot of folks.

First off - graphics - you have 4. Your site is about your haunted trail so show it. Showing me 4 props isn't showing me your haunt.

Also backgrounds. Personally I cannot stand a site that has tiled backgrounds because it is nearly impossible to read. In this case you have tiled backgrounds on 2 of 4 pages. Having graphics is good - having tiled backgrounds is annoying.

Another question before I discuss your links/pages is whether this is a personal page or a pro haunt? I really don't know although I kinda think it's a personal page.

You have a link on the main page called "Al's Haunted Trail" that goes right back to 'index.htm'. Kind of pointless. Was this link meant to go to another page on your site?

The "About Al's Haunted Trail" doesn't really tell me anything about the trail that I couldn't tell before I got there. It's a trail - in October. That's all you say. Give your backstory - expand on WHY it's a haunted trail - tell me more about your trail that you spend so much time building and prepping - make me want to come see the place and experience it for myself. Show me (adding useful graphics) and tell me - have some "eye candy" here to make the page interesting.

The "Props" link - the only page of the site with graphics (good props here). Why not add to them? There's bound to be more than 4 props used in your haunt.

Contact me only gives a page with your email as the text. Why not save the time and have the "Contact Me" link as your email address so when the reader clicks on it their email open? Saves time AND will save you space (not a big factor on a free site but it does add up).

Links - you have text that isn't linked. I would either have links or banners (make 'em small enough to fit your site).

Overall - you have a site which is way more than a whole lot of folks and this is a very good thing. Add more to it. Make it interesting, make it personal, make the reader want to know more about you and your haunt. Are you operating for a charity? When are you open? Where are you located? What dates to you run? These questions, and many many more, should be answered on your site.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think you are on the right track with your site.But I agree also,its hard to read.The combination of the background and the red doesnt work well together.I also dont like tiled backgrounds.To me...It makes it confusing.
May I suggest maybe going with a solid background of whatever color.And using a color for the text,that stands out and looks well with the background.
Then dress up your site with spooky looking graphics.But again...I think you are on the right track.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I agree with everyone else. But - it's fun starting a website - you will only get better.

Having said that - I did a 30 second alteration to your backdrop to give you an idea of where it could go - it's still there - just more forboding and white text would read well on it... I have the immense pleasure of working in photoshop on a daily basis - but this could be achieved in probably any paint program (I think)

ews

·
Registered
823 Posts
The only thing he has to watch Doc is that you have specified a font not normally found on every browser - which means to use it - he waould have to make images of each link - and transparent ones at that.

That font does look good though.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Hey, you still need to choose a different colored link text with the background you have there. Red on a predominantly orange background is diffictult to read. A white text would work best, methinks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Remember that everyone's comments from this community are meant to encourage and inspire - no one is a critic. I agree with RoadKill....show us your haunt...make us want to drive hours on end to see it. Showing us our props is certainly important eye candy but give us more!!

You're on the right track! Don't despair!

·
Registered
820 Posts
shady it doesnt really work that way unless he does the images. if a font is not installed on a computer, even if the site is programmed to use that font, it wont. itll be normal.

and actually, i believe every computer has papyrus

·
Registered
820 Posts
hi. im going to make some drastic comments and probably some drastic spelling errors.

you MUST have every page the same background, I would use one of the freeweb templates....those are great. just dont use fantasy undead cuz i use that one lol from the look of things youre using a basic one or you made one with CSS

your font sizes should be smaller i think. big fonts are kinda annoying i think.

youre coming along though, but if it used a template and had better font selection, I think it'd be great.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts