Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introducing - The Gravity Grabber.



Here it is mounted to the ceiling:



And here it is in operation:

Props :: MVI_0583.flv video by Spooky_Sam - [email protected]@[email protected]@http://vid193.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid193.photobucket.com/albums/z305/Spooky_Sam/Props/[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@z305/Spooky_Sam/Props/MVI_0583

------------------------------------------------

Used wiper motor off craigslist $10.00
Used PC power supply at garage sale $3.00
Diode $0.17
Leftover thermostat wire $1.44
Wire nuts $0.39
2.5 square feet of plywood $0.50
2 feet of 2x4 $0.16
Screws $0.15
2 feet of 1/2" gray conduit $0.22
Bolt, nut, and washers $0.13
1/10 can of black spray paint $0.10
1/10 can of white spray paint to cover black - changed my mind. $0.10
Drop down mechanism total $16.35

Foam skull from clearance last year $1.00
Wire hangers from cleaners Free
Packing peanuts Free
Part of a roll of duct tape (not much) $0.35
Plastic grocery bags Free
White kitchen trash bag $0.08
¼ can of brown spray paint $1.12
Corpse total $2.55

Grand total $18.90

-----------------------------------------------------

There are essentially two main components to this prop.

The first is the motor & lever mechanism that houses the simple mechanics that cock and release the prop. The housing was built using plywood and 2x4 pieces. Conduit is used as a lever that the wiper motor acts against to raise and drop the prop. I used the parking switch function on the motor to allow the use of a momentary switch to trigger the prop. 3-conductor thermostat wire was run between the power supply/activation switch and the lever box. A diode prevents the parking switch from shorting the power supply. I painted this portion of the prop white with spray paint to blend to the ceiling.

The skeleton was created using mostly wire clothes hangers and a cheap-o foam skull. I used some packing peanuts and duct tape over wire to create the hand form. The rest of the body was shaped using only wire hangers with a bit of duct tape. For the arm, I also utilized one of the cardboard tubes off of a wire hanger for pants to create a radius and ulna. Once the rough form was in place, I began tying on plastic bags to "flesh out" the corpse. Using a heat gun, I melted down the bags to give a rotten appearance and used the trash bag to skin the torso using the same principles. I used a spray-on/wipe-off technique to paint the corpse.

I'll post some "build in progress" shots for you later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is some most genius work!I love it.did you think of melting it yourself?
Yes - I had originally done it a little bit to make my Zombie Grave Escape look a little bit rotten. I figured it was a cheaper way to "skin" my prop with the materials I had on hand. Originally I was concerned with their durability, but the bags on the Escaper have held up very well so far. Plus if you layer it enough, you end up with a pretty tough outside shell that can also flex quite a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
Wow, Yet another great use for a wiper motor. very ingenious use of the plastic bags. I like the look of it more than more traditional corpsing methods. When you melted the plastic were you wearing a respirator because the plastic will give off toxic gasses when it melts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope, no respirator, just good ventilation. Plus I'm not really melting down the the plastic. I use the heat gun to weld the plastic to itself and shrink it down. There were some fumes, but not a lot.
 
1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top