Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Muddled Moderator
28,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mummified girl found!

The remains of a mummified young girl have been discovered today. To make the find even more interesting, the girl's remains were found to be holding what may be one of the earliest examples of a sock monkey. The girl is believed to be part of an ancient culture that worshiped monkeys. For now it's unknown how the girl died, or the exact age of the mummy. The archaeologists who found her have reported that a number of people at the excavation site have claimed to hear weeping from the vicinity of the mummy late at night.

mummy girl by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

mummy girl and friend by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

mummy girl closeup by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The how I did it video!

Mummy Construction:
½ inch PVC armature connected with rebar wire and duct tape. The body was bulked up with newspaper, bubble wrap and some brown packing paper. The limbs were bulked up with pool noodles or foam pipe insulation. The body was covered in paper towels soaked in latex paint, and a foam skull (from Michael's) was modified with newspaper and paper towels soaked in latex paint. She was painted with brown latex paint and dry brushed with a variety of colors. Her arms are wrapped in tea-and-coffee stained cheese cloth. I used a hair extension from the Dollar Store to make her look a little more girlie. She was then draped with some gray creepy cloth from the Dollar Store. The sock monkey was made from one of my old socks with a hole.

Materials:
Pipe insulation, 36" @ $0.97/6 ft = $0.50
Paint (oops paint and Michael's) = $1
Paper towels ~ 12 = $0.12
Cheese cloth = $1.55
Rebar Wire ~3' = $0.05
½" PVC pipe ~10' = $2.18
4 way PVC connector = $1.48
½" PVC Tee = $0.35
Foam Skull = $5
Pool Noodle $1/4', used 2' = $0.50
Brown packing paper = free
Newspaper = free
Masking Tape ~20' = $0.50
Duct Tape 10' @ $0.06/ft = $0.60
Creepy cloth from Dollar store = $1
Hair extension from Dollar store = $1
Bubble wrap = free
Old sock with a hole in it = $1
Buttons/thread/stuffing = $0.75

Total = $17.58

I'd like to thank RoxyBlue for her instructions in helping making the sock monkey, and for helping out with the face and basecoat painting. I couldn't have finished in time without her.

·
Super Moderator
64,107 Posts
I absolutely love the pose Spooky1 got with this character. Such a yearning look of gentle sorrow.

Of course, every time I go into the basement where she currently resides, she kind of creeps me out:googly:

·
Clean "cut"
27,005 Posts
Totally love this and the story line

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
Great job with the painting and staining. The back story helps finish the effect, great job.

·
Something Wicked
2,119 Posts
Tremendous work for such a quick turn-around. Right out of a museum...sorrowful and creepy at the same time. Love it!

·
Muddled Moderator
28,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I don't think I've ever made a prop in such a short time. Hard to believe I got this done in 5 or 6 days.

·
She looks so normal
21,275 Posts
I love this. The back story is fantastic. The style reminds me of Dave the Dead/Shadow Farms style. And Dave includes a back story too. But there is something that freaks me out. The monkey changes head positions from left to right. Either he isn't dead. Or she isn't. How do we go about finding out which is deceiving us?

·
Super Moderator
64,107 Posts
^Only the monkey knows for sure, and he ain't talkin':googly:

·
H.B.I.C.
9,101 Posts
Whoa, that is a creepy mummy holding her monkey. I've read about that ancient culture of monkey worshipers from long ago. She looks sad to me holding onto her monkey. Love it!

·
Batty Beautiful
5,633 Posts
So freaking cute and creepy! Congrats on an excellent prop!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I've always thought that the Peruvian mummies were *so* much creepier than the Egyptian ones. She is oddly sweet in a disturbing sort of way--kudos!

·
Muddled Moderator
28,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I always thought the Peruvian mummies were quite spooky. I'm happy with how the pose came out. With a little more time I'm sure I can make her better.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I always thought the Peruvian mummies were quite spooky. I'm happy with how the pose came out. With a little more time I'm sure I can make her better.
When I did mine a few years ago (using a Walgreen skelly) I had to ruin several days worth of work when realized that I had him folded up too straight and he really needed to be twisted. Maybe it's that feeling of motion that makes them more disturbing than the more formal and peaceful pose of the Egyptian mummies

1 - 20 of 26 Posts