Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to remake my parrot project from a few years ago. I bought another squawkers mccaw parrot off of ebay for a reasonable price. I'll hack him again to work with an octobanger prop controller like I did my first one I did a few years ago.

Here is the begining of the remake:

Started with creating and printing a pirate hat. Hollowed it out and test fitted it on the bird.

I'll be printing out a few other items to go with him.

·
Super Moderator
64,335 Posts
Nice hat!:jol:

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More parts & pieces

More little bits being worked on for this project.

·
Super Moderator
64,335 Posts
The details are impressive!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Are you going to do a patch for the macaw's eye?
Looking at what you're showing, I'm guessing you are using a 3D printer for some of the props, the plaque is nicely done.

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the kind words.

fontgeek - I haven't decided on the eye patch idea yet. As for the pieces so far, yes it is 3D printed. The hat, gun, barrel and plaque are printed, sanded, primed and painted. I have a small "belt" made from a discarded sandal strap. I still have a few things still to add to the hat but I'm pleased how everything is turning out.

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far ...

I found my notes on how to hack the parrot and I have most of the parts for the octobanger controller so I'll be working on the electronics now.

So, here is a little photoshoot of how everything is coming together.

More to come in the next week or more (hopefully less but you never know).

·
Super Moderator
64,335 Posts
Looking good, IMU!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I like it, I know it may sound stupid, but it'd be kind of cute (but difficult to do) to have the macaw with a "wooden leg". Kind of the "Long John Silver" thing.
How tall is the bird, perch to the top of the head?
I look forward to seeing the whole scene in it's entirety.

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fontgeek - one of my inspirations is Disney's Barker bird at the PotC ride. He has a peg leg and his chest is shaved with an anchor tattoo on it. I'm not sure I'll go that far but it was a thought.

The parrot is 13 inches tall from his feet to the top of his head.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I can see a peg leg being a hassle as far as solid support goes for a bird, especially one that's fairly mobile in its actions.

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm using PLA filament from NovaMaker. I know there is some sort of primer made specifically for 3D prints but I'm using a 2in1 Filler & Sandable primer by Rust-oleum. The paints over top the primer are just cheap craft paint. The barrel is painter with craft paint but then I used a wood stain over it for the wood tone.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great build so far! Like to do mine, we didn't get the biscuit with ours so I'm stuck with the demo mode

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kallen - the 1st one I bought was complete in the box. I ended up trading most of the pieces away since I wouldn't need them after the hack. This is my second parrot which didn't come with anything else and was unfortunately the same price as the 1st one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
kallen - the 1st one I bought was complete in the box. I ended up trading most of the pieces away since I wouldn't need them after the hack. This is my second parrot which didn't come with anything else and was unfortunately the same price as the 1st one.
Yeah, we paid full price for ours. He works great but I'm interested in seeeing what you do with yours.

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kallen - I'm leaning towards just using 3 of the outputs for the parrot movements, 2 outputs for a vent motor and 2 outputs for lights. At least that is the plan for now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts