Haunt Forum banner

Starched Cheesecloth Ghost - new member

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  spinwitch 
#1 ·
I'm a new to this forum and prop building. I am in the process of finishing a chicken wire ghost covered with cheesecloth soaked in liquid starch. My question is will this hold up in wet weather or am I going to need to apply some kind of weatherproofing?

#2 ·
You will probably want to weather-proof it. Natural starch (corn or wheat) can be removed by washing, so it will likely not hold up well to weather. Synthetic starch is more resistant.

#3 ·
I think there is a product called "stiffy" that may work for you. A fabric store would carry it.

I have also heard of using a dilute solution of Elmers glue to stiffen fabric. One part glue to four or five parts water, and just spray it on the fabric.

#4 ·
I use Stiffy and other fabric stiffeners for ghosts, it holds up okay to Florida humidity but I don't think it would survive rain, since it is water based. You might try thinning some polyeurathane with laquer thinner, and treating the cheese cloth with that. I know there is a product that makes cloth super hard and water resistent but it was expensive, and I can't remember the name. If you search for posts by me or krough that also have fabric you might be able to find the old posts with the name.

#9 ·
Since we're starting to diverge from the original question, are there any other opinions as to whether GhostBuilder will need to weatherproof the prop?

Stolloween (master of papier mache) uses liquid starch in his mache recipe, and recommends using a sealant to protect the finished product. From his web site:

SEALANTS. Finished and painted papier mache sculptures need to be sealed with some form of commercial product. Sealing your prop protects the paint job as well as the papier mache from moisture. Products made to protect wood such as urethanes, varnish and shellac work well to seal papier mache. Always read the manufactures directions and use caution when working sealants especially with regard to fumes or vapors.

http://www.stolloween.com/?page_id=209

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.