Haunt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am trying to create an abandoned retro lab/base look for the hallways outside my office. Think Dharma facilities from Lost. Other inspirations might be Half-Life or even BioShock. One of the props I would like to do is having a monitor on a table that is showing surveillance video in perhaps a quad grid or even more. I am having some difficulty finding some good video for this. Thought I could just find something but that has not worked out so far. Now I am looking to piece together different videos into a grid.

Anyone know a good source or have any videos that look kind of retro? Nothing even needs to be happening, just some cool shots of old 'secret base' concrete type places. Some panning ones would be great as well.

I will keep looking but thought I would reach out in case anyone did something like this or has a good source I haven't found yet.

Thanks!
Karl

·
Registered
232 Posts
What if you took some video from video games like Resident Evil or Bioshock like you mentioned? Or see if you can pull the security footage from the Resident Evil movies and put them in the grid. In a grid it should be small enough that very few people would recognize it. Also, run a filter on it to make it look as if the screen doesn't have a good connection.
It all depends on what editing software you are using. But Google it with Security Camera Effect or Make video look like VHS. I just did a random search and this is what I found.
Security Cam
VHS
Now, how you would go about recording footage of gameplay from a PS2, I have no idea. Ideally, you would want just to use a cut scene or a piece of footage without the game character in it, since you want it to be abandoned.
Also, Google Abandoned Laboratory and go to images. You could use some of those pics on your timeline, and if you add the right effect to it, to give the sense of movement, like in the above links, it won't appear to be a stock photo. If you want to get really low tech, pull up an image on your computer and use a digital cam to take a pic of your monitor. Then take the SD card in your computer, crop it into a square image in Paint and Save As a Gif Picture. It'll be reduced image quality and look something like this.

Then you can do more color correction in other software. A Defocus effect might work. I am a video editor in local news, so I know there are a few different ways to go about this.

Also, have you thought about sound for the scene? I could work something up for you that you could play through a bluetooth speaker hidden somewhere. Oh, and what we could do is, if you go buy an old radio from a pawn shop or antique store, I could put in the sound of a staticy radio coming in and out of signal. I also have the sound effect that I recorded of a ham radio with a weak signal. I could totally use that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if you took some video from video games like Resident Evil or Bioshock like you mentioned?...
Hey Fright Boy, those are some really interesting ideas. Not sure if I actually own the right games or have the equipment to capture it directly from a PS4. What about taking a still picture and making it look like a video feed? Maybe find a cool scene and then turn it into a video where the image doesn't change but maybe get some static of horizontal sync issues occasionally. Know good software or sites that can do that?

I think some kind of cool speaker with sound would be the right effect. Maybe it changes up periodically for the ambient sound. Static, channel changes, Morse code like sounds, maybe even some radio voices that you cannot quite understand.

I am planning on having a triggered event that has a klaxon sound and maybe some strobe lights.

Thanks
Karl

·
Registered
232 Posts
What about taking a still picture and making it look like a video feed? Maybe find a cool scene and then turn it into a video where the image doesn't change but maybe get some static of horizontal sync issues occasionally. Know good software or sites that can do that?
Yes, taking a still shot and "animating" it by adding some noise will work just fine for what you want. I'm thinking that instead of doing the grid video, it might just work best to have the one screen cycle through the different pics. I don't know what to tell you about software, I just use whatever my station has me use at the time. I would just Google video editing software and do some research. Maybe get on Reddit and ask around. Now, if they have the effects you want on them or not, I cannot say. That's where your research will need to come in. I use Avid Media Composer at work, but it's an advanced program and you shouldn't need all that.

I think some kind of cool speaker with sound would be the right effect. Maybe it changes up periodically for the ambient sound. Static, channel changes, Morse code like sounds, maybe even some radio voices that you cannot quite understand.
I could probably work up something simple for you. You wouldn't want the ambient sound to change any, but I can add in some of the additional sounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts