Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Player of Paste
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20 years my wife finally kicked me out of the house...well not me exactly, but my obsessive prop building habit. By chance we stumbled on a great space with very reasonable rent and decided to turn it into a one of a kind papier mache studio. Last month we signed the lease and had most everything moved in during the first week and have spend the last couple weeks developing our summer workshop schedule. The space is very cool featuring a large well lit work space, comprehensive reference library (old school Google), gallery of finished projects and ample storage/clean up area and rest room. The classroom aspect of the studio should pay the rent and keep the lights on, the rest of the time I can use to work on my own projects. The decision was a leap of faith..but life is too short to not to chase your dreams. Setting up the studio was very instinctive...it's the ultimate geek space for those that love Halloween, Horror, Sci-Fi and Fantasy...reaction from the general public has been fantastic...this crazy idea may just work.

Not trying to sell or promote anything...this is just a story about taking your hobby to another level. Keep building and dreaming!

·
Clean "cut"
26,998 Posts
Yay for you, making a dream happen! Looks great!

·
Super Moderator
64,104 Posts
It's like a papier mache museum!:jol:

Congratulations on getting such a beautiful work space and for taking that leap of faith!

·
Player of Paste
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The odd thing is that next door is a fine art gallery, specializing in oil painting. I've known the owner of the studio for several years (we both created trolls for our city's summer sculpture series) but when you enter the building it's like ying and yang.....go right and you get inspirational paintings and art...go left and you get my stuff. Pretty sure we are a one of kind combo....one door...two different worlds.

·
Stays Zesty in milk
4,472 Posts
Congrats, Stoll! Lookin' awesome & good luck with the new local!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Congratulations on getting a place of your own to not only to work on but to display your work as well. Great idea on starting classes to help with supplimenting your rent and keeping the lights on. The two stone pillars with the creatures on top against the back wall are incredible! I have to ask...what do you call them? They really are fantastic!

Any of your designs would work well with anyone's Halloween displays, from yard haunts to decor for the interior of any home that celebrates the holiday. Keep up the really great work, and good luck with your new endeavor!

·
Registered
723 Posts
That is a great and gorgeous space! I am soooo envious! But then the work you do is great and gorgeous and I'm envious of that too! Congratulations! All the best to you!

·
Headless & Haunting
4,767 Posts
WOW that is so fantastic. Congratulations. How awesome to be able to follow your passion. And why WOULDN'T the general public be awed by what you do. Well done Scott!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
YAY! Good for you! With your skills, I assumed you had something like this already. :)

I've never done the papier mache thang (I am a foam freak :eek:), but your work still inspires me. So creative...

scratching head... why do people always sweep/ vacuum the floor before they take a pic.... There are too many clean floors on this forum :D

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol:Congratulations Scott!:D That is so wonderful to hear, and I know you are going to have a great and endless line of students at your studio. You found a beautiful space to create and teach in, and it sounds like the perfect place for your particular brand of genius. Yay!:D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Scott, you continue to be a growing inspiration to many. Not only your work itself but your love and dedication to it, your willingness to share your art and teach those skills to others. And now this, pursuing it all to this stage and finding a way for all of the above to help make this possible.

I hope to make such a leap one of these days. Thank you for continuing to share with us and show us that its not just a pipe dream but it can be done.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,211 Posts
Great looking workspace you have there. Your work looks at home on the walls.

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
I couldn't be happier for you Scott!
Your dream is truly inspirational to us all. To be honest, I thought you already had a studio.

Roxy already said what I was thinking....It does look like a museum. Real nice space with so many interesting pieces of art. I wish I lived closer to check it out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts