Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the off season, I recently got lazy about posting on the forum. About 2 months ago I did a sugar skull makeup that extended from my hairline all the way to about half my torso for my nana who passed away not to long ago.

I live on a border town so everyone else in my family is like 100% Mexican and Spanish was my first language. I grew up equally in Mexico as in California. My Nana was a HUGE Day of the Dead celebrator. I mean some of my best childhood memories are running around her house on Day of the Dead. Her house was directly across the street from a cemetery so ever year she made more then 100 massive tissue paper flower wreaths by hand and sold them. They were hung in looong rows across the white iron fence of her house. Alongside that she sold all kinds of Mexican candies, had huge glass containers with jamaica and horchata (kind of like the American equivalent to fruit juice), sold tortas (Mexican version of the sub sandwich) amongst a bunch of other stuff. She had 8 kids (and too many grandkids :p) but I spent every Saturday of most of my life in her house. This past summer she passed away in the hospital. They had her asleep the last 4 days so I slept right next to her and had a good long 4 day goodbye. This past February was her birthday so I commemorated her with this sugar skull makeup.

Delia Galvan, my Nana. 1935-2010

·
Volat cum ea suas alas.
12,853 Posts
That is just amazing makeup! Your nana sounds like she was an awesome woman to have in your life! Condolences on her passing.

Do you have any pics of the items she used to make? It would be neat to see them, since no one here celecbrates DOTD and all I have for reference is online stuff. I've never seen any tissue wreaths. Are you going to continue on the tradition & make some $$ at Halloween by selling some things??

·
Super Moderator
64,104 Posts
She was a beautiful woman, MM, and how fortunate you were able to be with her at her passing.

Great makeup, too:)

I've never heard of sugar skull makeup. Does that refer to the materials used or is it just a term for the style of makeup?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys :)
@debbie5 I dont think I have any pics of her work but I'll be sure to go through the old albums today. Her wreaths were bomb though. Like 2-3 feet in diameter circles of paper with tons of paper and wire flowers and a border of braided flowers, all of it framed in a sheet of clear plastic and ribbon to cover the edges. They were attached to wire hangers so the people who bought them could hang them on graves. She made massive amounts of them by hand.
@roxy, sugarskulls are a mexican tradition for DOTD. Theyre just skulls molded by hand from pure sugar and decorated. Google image "sugar skulls" and youll see what I mean

·
Registered
316 Posts
Honoring the dead is actually one of my favorite parts of the holiday, and I like to bring out photos of family and friends who have passed and light candles for them. Your grandmother's story is as beautiful as your makeup. Losing someone you love is so hard, and I hope you find peace despite your grief.

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Your Nana was a sure knock-out in her day and a lovely woman as she grew old.
I love the sugar skull make-up. I am fond of sugar skulls but never thought about applying make-up that way.

I am very sorry for your loss.

·
Batty Beautiful
5,633 Posts
my condolances to you. I remember how hard it was to lose my grandma. She sounds amazing!

very nice makeup too!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. I lost my grandmother 7 years ago and still miss her.
Your makeup was gorgeous! HOw long did it take and what products did you use?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your awesome comments! :) They really mean a lot.
ok products, sorry I can't list them in category like I usually do (by face, eyes, etc) This one was really widespread all over the place. I'll just list by color.
White:
-Graftobian RMG white
-proFACE by GALA (a mehron product)

Blue:
Wolfe Brothers water activated paint in blue (set with blue powder shadow of random brand)

Red & Yellow:
Graftobian RMG in red and yellow

Around my eyes I glued craft jewels with PRO-Adhesive by Graftobian.

This one took like 4 hours because I did it on myself and it covered my entire face, neck, and half my torso.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@debbie5
the ribs, heart, etc ALL that is painted on
I wore a really loose cloak that opened at the chest to expose it all but still hide the bottom half I didn't paint. (Ironically enough, my OTHER grandma made that cloak :p)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Condolences on the passing of such a beautiful person who was such a wonderful influence in your life. Your makeup job is a wonderful tribute to her spirit and the life she lived. A truly gorgeous work.

Some friends of mine thew DOTD parties for a while... in addition to the Mexican food served there would be an offrenda there and we'd bring commemorations and offerings to lost loved ones, both human and pet. I love the little sugar skulls; that makeup is an awesome interpretation of them. Your Nana would be proud indeed.

·
She looks so normal
21,275 Posts
She was a beautiful woman. She must have passed some of her talent on to you. I love how you choose to celebrate her life. You were lucky to have a Grandma like that.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your Gramma's passing. She really was a beauty and sounds like a great lady. Creative talent obviously runs in your family. Your makeup is just wonderful.

If you ever feel like making a trip out to AZ, here in Tucson we have an INCREDIBLE Dia de los Muertos parade. I'll make a new post about it as I absolutely do not want to hijack this beuatiful post/tribute to your Nana. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. She was very lucky to have such a dedicated grandson.

You did a fantastic job on your makeup! I did sugar skull makeup for our halloween party last year, but it was nowhere near as good. Of course I ALWAYS run out of time and end up rushed, but I still couldn't come up near as good. You have a talent!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hehe thanks guys :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts