Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

The largest prop in our 2009 haunt was a series of doorways, three of which were interconnected, one weighted to close by itself, and one on garage door rails to move horizontally. All five doors had at least one side that looked like a wall. :p As the guests traveled our little gauntlet, they were required to open doorways by pushing on them. This changed the layout of the haunt, turning walls into doors and vice versa.

If you wish you could get a little more use out of the space you have, this system might just do the trick!

For your enjoyment, a small how-to video:

In the video, the 3-door system used:

:jol: For each door, you need approximately:
6 X 8' 2x4 studs
2-3 door hinges
scrap plywood
"wall" covering to match your existing walls.
nylon cord

:jol: Some additional points:
We screwed thin, lightweight plywood where the guests would push the doors, and at the vertical ends. So 3 pieces, approx. 1' x 2.5'. The rest of the door was cardboard for rigidity, covered with black poly to match our walls or decorated.

We found the guests got confused in the dark until we put large "push" signs on the doors. We used neon letters with black lights.

A few small pieces of 2x4 were screwed to the top of the door 2x4, to give our connection arms a little more wood to screw into.

Guests got very, VERY disorientated, and our regulars made comments of how much "bigger" the haunt was than last year.

Thanks for reading, comments more than welcome!!!

·
Banned
1,434 Posts
I had a similar idea once for a small maze for the kids too small to ride the trains for Ghost Train last year but was, as usual, shot down. I like what you came up with.

·
Stays Zesty in milk
4,467 Posts
Now that is a very cool door system! Thank you for posting this!

·
Banned
1,434 Posts
Do you have any videos of the completed set? I would love to see how it worked out in reality.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have any videos of the completed set? I would love to see how it worked out in reality.
Unfortunately, this is one of my least-documented haunts. My bad :(. I'll have to check in my disk archives to see if there are some vids or pics I missed.

I did get a few guests to carry the camera with them on one of their tours, but its almost entirely screaming. Oh, waitaminute! Sorry hauntforum, forgot who I was writing this for. Of course you'll love to see that!

Timeline:
1:29 Enter.
1:59 Glimpse of door 1 (already open).
2:23 Brief pause, as camcorder gets stuck in someone's hair.
2:39 Walking past door 2.
2:58 Another pause, someone lost a shoe.
3:06 Walking through door 2.
3:10 Walk past the ribbon wall.
3:17 Past door 3.
3:24 The 10' Grim Reaper is just before the first time through the sliding wall/door (gray box in the how-to video).
3:37 There's a glimpse of the sliding door at 3:37.
3:41 Going through the sliding door.
3:45 Screaming, running. When they saw the straight lighted hallway they took off like a bullet.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Neil, this was really cool when you designed this last year, but seeing the video really shows the genius of your idea. I am in awe and wish I did an indoor haunt just so I could imitate your plan!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Neil, this was really cool when you designed this last year, but seeing the video really shows the genius of your idea. I am in awe and wish I did an indoor haunt just so I could imitate your plan!
Aw shucks Johnny, I'm blushing! :devil: I thought you *did* do a clown tent last year, wasn't that indoors-like?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ingenious design, If you don't mind, I think I'll borrow your design for the zoo haunt this year..
I don't mind one bit- sharing my best ideas so people CAN use them is why I write how-to's. Just be sure to post some pics somewhere and send me a PM with some details!

·
Registered
90 Posts
all i can say is WOW:eek:

who says ingenuity is dead :jol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.