Haunt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Very nice!

Did you use the Scary Terry audio circuit? Did you build it yourself or buy it? I plan on doing something similar next year, but I want to use a uMP3 player and a Prop-1 Controller.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, those are the cowlacious scary-terry skulls. I ordered the pre-assembled kits, so all I needed to do hardware-wise was install the boards and battery packs into the heads. I still have yet to paint them, install eyes, and rig up AC power. I may replace the CD player with a small MP3 player.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Yeah, those are the cowlacious scary-terry skulls. I ordered the pre-assembled kits, so all I needed to do hardware-wise was install the boards and battery packs into the heads. I still have yet to paint them, install eyes, and rig up AC power. I may replace the CD player with a small MP3 player.
Necro, trust me... you'll want to use a power supply or a wall wart to power those suckers. Batteries only last about 20 - 60 mins before they get sapped so much the motors start behaving funny.

Otherwise, totally cool. Welcome to the scary terry club. :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Necro, trust me... you'll want to use a power supply or a wall wart to power those suckers. Batteries only last about 20 - 60 mins before they get sapped so much the motors start behaving funny.

Thanks, yeah, I had assumed the batteries wouldn't last long. I need to dig through my old collection of unused wall-warts and see if I have 9V ones I can use, otherwise I'll need to run out and buy one or two.

Any idea how much current they draw? I'd imagine it's not much since they can use AA's in series. Probably less than 100 milliamps. I might be able to run them both off one wall-wart.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Thanks, yeah, I had assumed the batteries wouldn't last long. I need to dig through my old collection of unused wall-warts and see if I have 9V ones I can use, otherwise I'll need to run out and buy one or two.

Any idea how much current they draw? I'd imagine it's not much since they can use AA's in series. Probably less than 100 milliamps. I might be able to run them both off one wall-wart.
Oh no, they draw somewhere in the ballpark of 600 - 700 ma EACH. The circuit itself draws very little, but when the damned motors are connected they draw a ridiculous amount of current.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Oh no, they draw somewhere in the ballpark of 600 - 700 ma EACH. The circuit itself draws very little, but when the damned motors are connected they draw a ridiculous amount of current.
Which is why, of course the batteries drain so fast...

Nice dialog, NB! I think the importance of a good banter between skulls is underated. One could build all the talking skulls with professional expertise all they want, but without a good script, the effect falls flat. I would no more want to see a couple of skellies talking to each other saying inane and boring things anymore than I would want to watch two people do it. You really nailed it. Great job!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, after I wrote that I tried digging around a little. Figured out that AA batteries supply about 1100 mah total, but with decreasing efficiency the faster you draw from them. So extrapolating from that, since you said they last maybe an hour, the skulls will each draw a maximum of roughly 1000-1100 ma, but probably a bit less. 600-700 sounds reasonable.

Radio Shack has a 9V wall wart that can supply 1500, so I may try to get that one and power them both. I may also try to measure the draw a bit with a multimeter if I can rig it up right... lol.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Which is why, of course the batteries drain so fast...

Nice dialog, NB! I think the importance of a good banter between skulls is underated. One could build all the talking skulls with professional expertise all they want, but without a good script, the effect falls flat. I would no more want to see a couple of skellies talking to each other saying inane and boring things anymore than I would want to watch two people do it. You really nailed it. Great job!
Thanks! Glad you like it. I agree, and in fact, I think you can pull it off with really bad humor if the delivery is good. I wanted the conversation to flow "naturally" and yet hit a set of pre-determined jokes and puns.

I'm not much of a voice actor, but I tried to get it to sound good on the first take. Ended up only re-recording a few of the lines. Both voices ended up with raised pitch, to varying degrees, by speeding up the recordings... I spoke slowly with exaggerated pronunciation to make that work.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I went and picked up one of those 1500 ma 9V wall warts at Radio Shack. Works perfectly! Runs them both without any problems.

Also painted them, and added eyes... though I'm not at all pleased with how the eyes turned out, but it'll do for now.

·
Registered
156 Posts

I have talking buckies and have been troubled by failing batteries. Could you please tell me more about "wall wart?

Thank you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts