Haunt Forum banner
1561 - 1580 of 1612 Posts

·
She looks so normal
21,271 Posts
^ I love that red bush, what is it? ( That little girl is adorable)
They are all azaleas. They have an Azalea Festival every spring in Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA. It's kind of hard to guess when the azaleas will be at their best the year before. The only bad thing is the flowers only last a couple of weeks.

I've never seen yellow before. Of course they were sold out before we got there.

·
Headless & Haunting
Creating a massive fundraiser haunted house for our local Scout group.
4,783 Posts
So wanting to have a veggie garden when we eventually move into town. Can't beat the freshness and flavour of home grown produce.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Dinner was eggplant parm with a roasted tomato/pepper sauce. Turned out pretty well. I love this time of the year when we eat so much from the garden (and I have chickens as well so plenty of fresh eggs). Next month, alas, everything will start to die off in the heat (and tomatoes stop setting when the nighttime temps don't go below 80) so we scarf it up while we can.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Zucchini! I really like zucchini--but I can't grow it. It's ridiculous--usually that's the one crop that has you leaving bags of it on stranger's doorsteps. This year I had huge beautiful plants and a zillion blossoms--all male. Never a single female blossom. Then all the plants died.

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:undecidekin:^Ugh SW, what a bummer! I had something similar with my pumpkins last year....I was going to say something like, "just like a man to be all showy and grandiose, but not produce any fruit" (but that seemed sexist to me).:googly: Gardening and growing is definitely an "up and down" little rollercoaster ride.
Spooky, could it be deer? I live in the city and had something eating my potato vines in my front planters, and then it went on to eat my portulaca and petunias out of the same pot. When I moved the pots behind the gate to replant, the culprit moved on to my impatiens that I had planted in my front beds. I caught her on camera, a nice size deer was using my pots and plantings as a salad bar for her nightly foraging...UGH!:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
64,347 Posts
^We suspect any of the following culprits: slugs, Japanese beetles, rabbits. We do get deer in our yard on rare occasions, and one of them stripped a tomato plant of fruit a few years ago while we were out walking the dog, so they're not entirely free of suspicion, either:jol:

·
Headless & Haunting
4,783 Posts
It's always something isn't it. For me it is the kangaroos and rabbits. I planted various species of groundcovers along the edge of the pond but they aren't going to get to cover much ground because the roos keep trimming them.......

·
Registered
736 Posts
And of course we think of kangaroos as being exciting and exotic (and cute). Same thing here--I was talking to someone from Vermont about the trick of laying stock wire on the ground before laying in sets to foil the armadillos, and he was excited that I had such exotic animals around. I like armadillos, but they're pretty common.

·
Headless & Haunting
4,783 Posts
After 17 years I still don't get tired of watching them feed in our back yard. I do however get a little cross with their lack of road sense.

·
She looks so normal
21,271 Posts
And of course we think of kangaroos as being exciting and exotic (and cute). Same thing here--I was talking to someone from Vermont about the trick of laying stock wire on the ground before laying in sets to foil the armadillos, and he was excited that I had such exotic animals around. I like armadillos, but they're pretty common.
I've had problems with them digging up iris rhizomes and eating them.

After 17 years I still don't get tired of watching them feed in our back yard. I do however get a little cross with their lack of road sense.
Sounds just like deer. They want to out race a car. They seldom win. My cousin's husband hit a deer about 2:00 in the morning when they were on a vacation. He took two of the kids and went to the nearest farm house. He didn't want them to take a gun to him if was knocking on the door in the middle of the night alone. My cousin followed up with the third kid, all three under 5, (she was a fertile Myrtle). They forgot the diaper bag so my cousin walked back to the car with a flash light. She said she showed it on the car and there were about 50 barn cats eating the deer meat off the grill and hood. She was afraid to try and get past them to get into the car. She said she just stood there throwing up. Yup, she was pregnant with number 4.

·
She looks so normal
21,271 Posts
Look who came to visit me. Rick wanted to share the parsley but no one wanted any. I told him to wait. I had something in mind for it. This was it. A Black Swallowtail. We have three of them getting fat out there. I hope I can see their cocoons.

1561 - 1580 of 1612 Posts