Haunt Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Oh why... did I have to read this post 6 days before halloween? NOOOOOO! Now the thought is stuck in my head and the only cure is...I must build>>>AAARRGGHH! My wife is gonna kill me..but, on the other hand, it's a prop you can fold up to put away. I need to buy stock in a fence and plumbing supplier. Really nice design B~

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
I built one of these too and have had nothing but trouble at the knees and hips. The weight of the fully dressed figure is just too much for the joints. I have to keep re-tightening the knees and hips only to have it fall over again.

If I have to re-do this for next year, I'm just going to make the arms movable unless I can come up with a solution to the problem.

·
Terrible Peril
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hey Beelce,

Per normal, I am years behind on my builds and am just now getting around to this. I have a couple questions. I can't drive a stake into the ground, its full of underground cables but I figured I might be able to make some kind of base to mount to and hide it under mulch. This character will be the stand-in for when my husband can't help. That way, no one will know if its live or is it Memorex!

I'm still wondering if I should go with your wooden version for the stability regarding holding a prop (this is going to be Igor, humble servant to the Cauldron witch so said prop might be a big book). The book would be made out of lightweight stuff and only look heavy but the arms would have to support it which is my concern and the costume is going to add some weight as well. I even considered a conglomeration of your wooden/PVC models but that would likely turn into a mess.

Also, these seem kind of pricey but would this work instead of all the hardware for the joints? http://www.spiderhillpropworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=49 It looks similar to what you used functionality-wise.

Thanks as always. i don't know what I would do if everyone didn't share all their wonderful ideas so the rest of us can steal them!

·
Registered
16 Posts
less is more better

articulation is great if that's what you NEED. But it sounds like you need stability. At least for the shoulders. Consider building an articulated form with locked in shoulders. The only disadvantage to articulated is when they move when you DON'T want them to. I will say that the addition of the rubber washers to the Spider Works joints takes a lot of this away. Happy Haunting

·
Terrible Peril
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Hey Daphne...Sounds like your planing for a great time this season...Go for it..!

I love my bride, but she is a bit pricey, and really not too strong...You may want to think about this technique instead...http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=17073&highlight=shadow+tribe
Much cheaper, and my personal favorite at this point, but still not able to hold up a lot of weight.

The wooden version is much stronger and MUCH heaver, he can hold about 3x as much as the BRIDE.

The Spider joints look really slick and I'll bet they work well, but my guess is they will still not be able to hold much weight......

What to do...?? Well, what I do is build a separate support for the object that needs to be held. (in your case a book). I like to use 1/4" fiberglass rods that I get at Tractor Supply (they are sold as fence post). I paint them flat black, drive them in the ground, and attach the "book". After that, stand your articulated frame in place and attach his hand to the book like he is holding it up.
In low light the black rods are hard see and do a fine job of adding extra support to the scene.

Because you can not drive stakes in the ground, you need to build a small frame to hold your figure, just add an extra support on the frame for the book.....should work fine.

Please let us know how you do.....Have a GREAT HAUNT...!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great tutorial and wonderful sharing of ideas! I've got a zombie outbreak research facility planned for next year (this year is the mad scientists lab), and I will be using a combo of the different techniques presented here for my background zombies. Thanks so much for the great ideas!
Sorry about the Necro-post. I'm just wondering if the pics for the tutorial are somewhere! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is so cool!! I love how versatile this is, I'm still beginner - especially where it comes to yard haunts but you can dress this up in anything!! I will have to come back to this when I am looking for my first major build projects

·
Registered
1 Posts

I used 1" PVC to build the "bones" for this body

zombietronix.com is for sale | HugeDomains
For the length of the body parts, I have been using the measurements straight from the"bi-ped" calculator at Zombietronix....a very usefull tool

Again, I have been shopping in the chain link fence section at Lowe's, and came up with these nifty little post caps.

I used the same "spring tension" system to bolt the "bones" together and create working hinges / joints

Here is the set-up for the hinge....flat washers and lock washers bolted through the eye holes with a lock nut on the end.
Great idea! I've been looking for a hinge to many of my prop limbs, over the years.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts