Haunt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started in on the crypt. I have begun the framing process and should be done with that by the end of the weekend. At present, I have framed up the front of the crypt and the two sides. Next up is the back sections and the three roof frames and it'll be ready for the foam outer layer.

One of the sides looks a little crooked, but it should straighten up when I have the back built onto it.

Check out the pics of my progress over the past few days.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Christ, when did you get so handy with a ****ing drill and saw? :p
:voorhees:

Looks cool.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished project--what sorts of minions from the "nighted gulfs between the stars" are you going to put in there?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sinister said:
Can't wait to see the finished project--what sorts of minions from the "nighted gulfs between the stars" are you going to put in there?
Well, this guy will live in there (see attachment). He needs a better paintjob, which I'll do later, but this is the bugger that will be jumping out of it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
GAH!
Put that thing away! :D :eek:

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Yes, I anxiously await the finished project. I recognize your evil genius, Z whether Raxl does or not. :p

·
My Avatar DANCES!
1,755 Posts
Idea for you Crypt

Zombie that is coming out awesome, I can't wait to see the finish product, I got an idea for you to do make a skull arch way for you creature to come out of, but make some of the skulls have LEDs in them, you will get the attention of your ToTs because of the glowing skull eyes, and then trigger you creature to pop out. I got a few other ideas if you want to hear them contact me on AIM.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finished the frame, then dis-assembled it so I could level off the ground where I was working on it. The ground was uneven and not level, so the frame was a little wobbly because of that.

I re-assembled the frame today on the boards I used to level off the driveway. Check out the frame in its finished state:

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a little update. Finished the door and started skinning the outside of the damned thing. This is a lot of work, but it'll be so worth it when it's done.

Stay up to date with my Photobucket album.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The crypt's been a little stalled out lately. I'm having difficulty finding 1" thick foam boards in the 4 foot by 8 foot size I need them in. I'm gonna call around to a few more places today and hope for the best.

If anyone out there knows for sure where I can get the 1" extruded polystyrene boards I mentioned above (must be the "blue" or "pink" type used for insulation), please drop me a PM or email at zombie-f at verizon dot com.

Otherwise, I'm gonna have to scrap all the foam I've used so far and start again using 2" foam, which is more readily available.

Oh yeah, and here's a pic of where I'm at now. See attachment.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
You got a tarp to cover that thing against the elements? I'm sure you couldn't just drag it into the garage when a thunderstorm comes up.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right. I should probably start tarping over it. I do have one, I just gotta dig in the basement for it. I don't want it to start rotting away on me, now do I?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

I think I'm gonna have to abandon this project until next year. I can not get the 1" foam I need in 4' x 8' pieces. I asked about 2" foam in pieces that large and it's $26 a sheet which is just too damned expensive considering I need 10 sheets! I'd still need paint on top of that.

I just can't afford to finish this one this year. Time to move on to smaller, less-expensive items. *sigh*

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the warm weather just around the corner again, I'm starting to think (or obsess, really) over this project again. I think I have a game plan all lined up for how I'm going to finish this sucker off.

I had (at one point) thought of abandoning the velcro approach, but think I can still use it for holding the sides on. I'll just re-enforce it with staples so it doesn't pull off the wood this time around. For the larger front pieces that are built up from "boxes" of foam, I'll be using bolts to hold those on. I have a plan to conceal them by way of "access holes" cut into the backs of the foam "boxes" where I can reach my hand *inside* the back of the box and attach them to the frame with bolts from inside the boxes. You'll see what I mean when I start building again and have a how-to up and running for this beast.

Come on Springtime, hurry up.

·
DeceptiProp
5,844 Posts
Just watch out for those bees. You know how bad they are. Or was that wasps? I will certainly keep an eye open for the opening of your crypt.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hey Zombie, where are you located at? I actually manage a lumberyard for my real world job, and I live in an area where there are no basements at all and can get 1" foam. 84 Lumber almost always has it, and so does any insulation company. Perhaps you are asking for the wrong thing when you call? Ask for 1" foam Dow board, and if that fails, ask for BLACK INSULATION SHEATHING or 1" ENERGY SHIELD. Black insulation sheathing is used a lot for industrial buildings, basements, and chickenhouses. Energy shield is used for insulating basements, garages and garage doors. Energy shield is covered with a shiny aluminum foil though, but if you are painting it, who cares?
Drop me a line if you still can't find it. I may be able to find a dealer in your area.
Rick

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the suggestions Rick. I do know what to ask for, it's just most lumber yards in my area don't stock it in the larger size because it blows away in the wind a lot easier. It would seem most of my local lumber yards store the big sheets outside (I guess).

I did manage to find a carrier that is local to me though, thanks to fellow forum member SpectreTTM's recommendation. If they don't have it in stock this year, I can get it from Home Depot, and at a good discount if I can get a group buy together for a lot of 96 sheets.

I need to be able to carve and cut the foam easily and to be able to spray it with acetone (a-la Bad Boy Productions' faux techniques) for a nice rocky look, so that eliminates the foil-backed stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.