Haunt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dismantling Of My Scarecrow

2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Sinister 
#1 ·
After the dissapointing results from the SC contest, I have decided to retire my oldschool hillbilly scarecrow. The torso has been modified to make another groundbreaker for the graveyard. Everything else has been put back into the junk pile(s) waiting for the next project. Pic to follow...probally after the big day. Thanks to everyone that had a kind word for the old guy....

#3 ·
Only I am allowed to throw a baby tantrum in this here forum. I have a contact signed from Zombie-F that states that I am allowed to dismantle my contest entry if I get my but beat in any contest held on Hauntforum. Of course the Devil's Rose prop didn't get dismantled. Even though it should. LOL. But what you should do is send a pair of your underwear to Frightners Enter for next year's Ironstock. Maybe he could bring all the scarecrows to Ironstock. That would be cool.

#6 ·
Morgan, you didn't "lose" at all. You just didn't get the most votes. Everyone who made a scarecrow won. Try to think of your entry as a competition with yourself to make something within the requirements, and ignore the contest aspect of it all. Do it for fun my friend. It's a shame you dismantled a ready to go prop this close to the big day. Make what you like, and stick to it.

#7 ·
Morgan, now you are making me really sad. I don't know why, but your scarecrow reminded me of my dad (I think it was the clothes he was wearing). I don't care what people think, I'm not dismanteling my dad. Though I could probably get a couple really cool props out of him.

#9 ·
I apprecate all the kind words...I just couldnt look at him anymore. Before the contest, my thinking was "Wow, this is my best work yet!" After the contest, it was " Only two votes....I must really suck." I made old hillbilly not expecting to win, but at least not to embarass myself. I guess the competitive spirit doesnt apply well to my prop making skills.... For the record, I'm going to have to think long and hard before I enter another contest. Thanks again everyone for the kind words and advice.

#10 ·
Morgan, as someone said here before, you enter a contest like this for yourself to see if you could meet the requirements of the challenge. It really doesnt have anything to do with how yours compares to anyone elses. In those terms, you blew the doors off me because I didnt even rise up to the challenge. I took the easy way out and was just an obsever of all of the great work everyone submitted. Next time there's a challenge and you dont enter because you doubt you will win, then you have lost the meaning of the challenge. To try, is to win. So allow me to at least thank you for your submission because I did enjoy looking at it as much as everyone elses. And most importantly I guarantee all of the TOTs will really think its great on Halloween.

#11 ·
Here's a good story: My wife ( not me ) runs triatholons. I asked one of her tri-buddies how he did on his first race. He told me that he came in dead last. But he was excited about that. He said it was his personal best time. Mostly he was excited because only 200 people signed up to race. This is a city of over a million people. He looked at me and said, " The way I look at it is, only two hundred people beat me. Over a million people were too lazy to get off the couch and race, so I beat every single one of them."

I learned a lot that day.

#17 ·
Of course, I wouldn't doubt it if Zombie decided to give up on hosting future contests due to the drama that seems to accompany them.
What my esteemed colleague said. I think I have said elsewhere on this board what my feelings for contests and "special events" are. If you create something and you were behind it 100% from the outset, why the **** would you turn your back on it because you didn't make the grade in one place? I have rejection slips from magazines and publishing houses that didn't accept some of my works. Did I trash the story because some cat didn't think it was good enough for their precious publication? Hell no! Why don't you do some reading up on J.K. Rowling and see how many times her first Harry Potter book was rejected before she basically took over the publishing and movie world.

You entered the contest with your scarecrow Morgan, because you believed in the project enough to share with others (At least I hope that's your reasoning) You aren't a loser because you didn't get the vote so to speak, you lose because you have no confidence in something you were supposed to do for enjoyment, rather than the grand prize. Keep your chin up and do stuff because you want to, not for a chance that you may "win." If you enter anymore of these contests, expect some of the same in each one of them. If the heat is too much in this respect, just get out of the kitchen. We don't need more threads like this cluttering up the board.

I'm not meaning to step on your toes, dude, just giving you a wake-up call. You can't win 'em all.

#13 ·
I'm all for the competitive spirit in America.
What's wrong with being bested by someone?
Thank god our favorite sport teams don't have these issues, or they'd never get their butts on the field. They'd be too afraid of losing.
I remember being a young lass and you'd lose some and you'd win some in school. Now it seems people are too afraid to let their children lose at anything.

Anyone who entered has respect from the rest of us for entering.
The people who "lost" were braver than the ones that didn't even enter.

be proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.