Haunt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having the most hardest time finding REALLY cheap black fabric to paint my neon circles on for my dot room. I'm thinking about using black garage bag material instead of fabric. Has anyone tried this method before? I need tips on if it will work, what to use if it does work, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I too have made the dot room and i used black bed sheets.
Dot Room pictures by Wormyt - Photobucket I have heard folks useing black plastic though I have not tried this. I stay away from black plastic due to the light reflecting on the plastic. But try it out and let us know how it works. Walmart has black bed sheets and sometimes if your walmart still carried fabric sometimes they will have black cloth on the 1.00 a yard table.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would go with the bed sheets...
I would think that if you used plastic the paint would chip off.
You could try and paint a few dots on a sheet of plastic to see if it will hold up before painting all the dots...
Hope you get everything figured out!
:).

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I wanted a dot room when i seen wormy's pics 2 years ago. I experimented with black plastic and paint and I really didnt like the look of the black plastic plus you will have put in all that hard work and have to throw it away cuz you cant just fold up the plastic without the painted dots gettin stuck so I would say get the fabric :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah when i first did mine I went by this site....
http://www.ghostsofhalloween.com/projects/pokadot_wall/ many emails back n forth to him is what got me started. I just went and got black bed sheets from walmart the flat sheets. I have assorted now, twin, double,/full, queen as i use them also to line my garage and use as table cloths etc. Easy to wash, wont fall apart, and can use them year after year. The plastic is ok for those who like plastic as i myself used black plastic years ago. I just dont like the light shinny reflection on the plastic. Then again all my haunt is either in my garage or covered by huge tarps. So some have to use the plastic for weather conditions.
Now if you look how far Adam has gone with his dot room with the 2006 pics of the neon balls now hanging down. Well I just ran my lil self to walmart and i too will have some neon balls hanging down. WOW that sounds kinda kinky LOL...I also got 50 3d glasses this year. Also some plain white mask to try on the walls and then an actor will have several mask on his outfit. LOl this year will be interesting. BUT yes cloth is ...well i personally think a better deal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WormyT: How much were the sheets a piece that you bought? I usually get my cloth from wal-marts 1.00 a yard section but lately they havent had anything completely black. Buying actual sheets is a good idea depending on this price.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That may work Liam...
You should test that out thenameisaimee.

And as for the costs of the sheets...
I believe you can buy a queen flat sheet at walmart for lest than 4 bucks... i was looking at them earlier in the year.
:)

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
I too have made the dot room and i used black bed sheets.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Wormyt/Dot Room/ I have heard folks useing black plastic though I have not tried this. I stay away from black plastic due to the light reflecting on the plastic. But try it out and let us know how it works. Walmart has black bed sheets and sometimes if your walmart still carried fabric sometimes they will have black cloth on the 1.00 a yard table.
Wormy did you use a stamp? Cuz your circles are PERFECT. I was just wondering what size sheet you used also. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too used the Walmart sheets after Wormy mentioned them. They work great and cost around 2.00 for a twin. Might have gone up slightly by now as this was two years ago. I did two sizes of circles and diamonds and cut the shape out of dense foamy junk. Stamped them on first in gesso. Filled in any spots that didn't cover well and let dry. Then painted over the gesso with the colored blacklight paints. Works great but takes awhile. But it is nice that once it is done you can fold them up and put them away or wash if needed.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi Turtle, Actually if you look at the first few pics here
Dot Room pictures by Wormyt - Photobucket you can see me holding a lid. Thats what I used. Its the top off my gesso that i would paint the gesso onto then press that lid onto my sheets. Then f you continue through my pics you will see me just squirting a small puddle of paint onto that dried gesso circle. Then with a small brush I would paint the color. It was a long process for all this but again I had started my sheets like in Jan and Feb. So took my time through the months painting little by little.

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Hey trish how do people know when someone is in there? Do they say something or touch them in some way? I asked for black sheets for xmas from santa and glow in the dark paint. Any suggestions on size? Im not sure yet how big i want my room to be. It depends on the amount of TOT's i get this year whether i will enlarge my display or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts