Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else here stain their bucky bones?

I recently did a round of staining for use in the http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Zombie-F/Wood%20Stove/wood_stove-04.jpg, and decided to go and stain the Mr. Thrifties that occupy my yard. Here's the first one I stained, the "he" being our cauldron-tending skeleton, Larry:

I also installed an LED onto the inside of the bottom of his breast bone so it shines up and illuminates his ribcage from within. In the old photo you can see I used a glow stick for this purpose. The LED is more inconspicuous and will run far longer than the glow stick could ever dream of. It's wires run up the back of the spine and into the inside of "Larry's" head where the 9v battery is hidden.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sure do. I just stained a bucky a couple of weeks ago. I used Aged Oak Minwax Gel Stain which gives a more brown look. I've use the Dark Walnut color as well which makes a much darker brown. I know a lot of folks like the Mahogany which gives the bones a more reddish look.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Chestnut on the aforementioned Mr. Thrifty. It's sort of a dark brownish-red color.

I like the look of yours ScareFX. The light brown works quite well. I'm now wondering if the color I chose will make the bones too dark to see them very well at night.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hi Guys,

In staining the Bucky. Do you wipe off the stain after a while if so after how long?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yeah I wipe mine off. I use a brush and do a section like an arm, then wipe it off with a paper towel. I also wear latex gloves to keep the hands from getting stained. That stuff is tough to get off skin.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't wipe mine off, I just apply it lightly. Sometimes if I get a little too overzealous and it does dry on too thick, some Acetone will take it off pretty good.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I decided to bust out the Shaking Skellie Cage and stain him (while he's in it... note to self, never stain anything again after its inside its cage). I went with the wiping technique this time and was very pleased with the results. I like it so much that sometime before Halloween, I'll most likely strip down the other skellie I already did and re-do him with the wiping method. I think he's too dark and is very difficult to see in low lighting.

Here's the latest stain job:

Push the button Frank! :xbones:

·
Registered
458 Posts
ScareFX said:
Sure do. I just stained a bucky a couple of weeks ago. I used Aged Oak Minwax Gel Stain which gives a more brown look. I've use the Dark Walnut color as well which makes a much darker brown. I know a lot of folks like the Mahogany which gives the bones a more reddish look.
I just used the exact same stain two days ago to age a bucky skull and I really liked the results. It's the first time I tried the gel stain and I love that stuff...I'll never go back to using the liquid again :)

Zombie, the aging looks great on the shaking skellie. The stain really makes a big difference!

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the thing I love most about the wiping method is how the gel stain stays darker inside the tiny cracks and crevasses, adding a hint of shadowing with through the process.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
How do you wipe? Just apply some onto the bone then wipe with a cloth? or hand? How doooo you do it?

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
I used cementex latex #874, and put it on with a cheap brush. I let it set over nite to dry so Iam not sure what the dry time in a warm room might be. Guessing maybe two to three hours. I have heard that carpet latex takes longer to dry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.