Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 809 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While scanning the forum for a place to put this thread, I realized that there really isn't an exact place it can go. Here, is as good a place as any, I suppose. Zombie-F can move it if he likes, but until then, Halloween is where it will remain.

The question presented is "Do You Believe in Ghosts?" I'm not talking about "Spheres" or "Shapeless formations that may, or may not be fog or swamp gas." I'm talking about an honest to god, deceased persons apparition. If so, what experience, if any, have you had with them? So many folks have so many viewpoints on this and an afterlife, and I'm eager to know what everyone thinks.

I myself am a skeptic through and through. Unless I have irrefutable evidence that they exist, they don't. Simple as that. If you can prove me wrong, then do so. Believe me, this is one phenomenon that I would love to know existed. It would solve so many questions as far as our mortality is concerned. So there it is, guys. Let us know what you think.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
While I do enjoy ghost stories, I too am a skeptic. I believe there's a lot of weird stuff out there, and that ghosts may exist, but until there's some real proof out there (like I see one), I'm going to have to say I don't fully believe in them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I do believe in ghosts, for more than one reason. My first (and foremost) reason for believing in ghosts is I am religious, and believe there is an afterlife. For me to believe in an afterlife, and not believe in ghosts would be contradicting myself. Secondly, there have been so many sightings (many of whom are totally convinced of what they saw) for it to be untrue.

I also new a girl who claimed that her ouija board (a real one, not Milton Bradley) was haunted. She got the name of the spirit and a background on him, and did some research. It turned out there was such thing as the spirit (both his name and his story), and he was killed by someone (I think it was his father, but I can't remember). Well, one of her friends was over her house and was very skeptical. He started cursing at the spirit/board and teased and provoked it. The next morning, he awoke to find his skateboard in shreds over him in his bed.

I also new another person who claimed that his grandmother's house was haunted. He would hear running up the stairs and the door would slam. He also claimed that the walls of the bedroom that he was sleeping in started bleeding.

Now I'm not saying that these two stories are true. They are claims from a couple of people that I used to know. But they do make pretty cool stories!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm talking about HARD EVIDENCE. You are right to bring up the word "claimed" in the two instances that you did, Shape, because there's nothing in both instances that substantiates these "claims". I have to ask: Did you yourself witness ANYTHING out of the ordinary around these people? A visit to the grandmothers house, a Ouija demonstration, perhaps? If not, what even makes these people credible witnesses? There are a lot of people who believe in UFO's and Chupacabra's ( Where is Raxl, by the way? :D ) and claimed to have seen them, but have yet to produce a single shred of proof.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not saying that I believe in ghosts based on these two people's claims. My main belief is that I personally believe in an afterlife. If I believe in an afterlife, then ghosts come along with that belief.

I personally don't have to "see" something to believe it is there. I believe that the universe is too large for there not to be life (whether it be intelligent life or not) somewhere other than earth. There is no hard proof that there is life outside of this planet, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

However, I think it's good to be skeptical, because it's the skeptics that tend to prove/disprove myths. They usually call themselves scientists. If nobody challenged popular belief back in the day, then we'd still be thinking the world was flat! :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe in ghosts.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
The Shape said:
If nobody challenged popular belief back in the day, then we'd still be thinking the world was flat! :D
The world isn't flat!?! :eek:

I believe there's an afterlife as well, but I do believe it's possible to have an afterlife without the existance of ghosts. If our spirits are transported to another plane of existance (i.e. Heaven or Hell) then it's possible ghosts on our planet don't exist because said spirits are accounted for elsewhere... unless of course, they escape. :eek:

This is the perfect topic for Raxl to ramble on incessantly over. He's gone on ghost hunts before.

·
Registered
134 Posts
First of all I would have to say I love looking at Ghost pictures, and hearing about ghost stories they are very fascinating. I have been into them off and on starting when I was thirteen, but as for today I am a little skeptical but another part of me wants to believe. So basically I am in the middle.

Sure I have my doubts and understand that sometimes we could see things like a ghost because we expect to see them, want to see them, frightened, or whatever else, but what if they are real? We have learn anything is possible and we don't completely know everything hidden in our mysterious world which makes it so interesting.

When I was thirteen years old I believe I seen a ghost, but maybe I was just over tiered. How it went was I was sleeping and in the middle of the night I woke up, and look right infront of me which I saw this ghostly figure looking at me. I couldn't make it out if it was a female but I think it was but I quickly left the room. Then I told my cousin who was babysitting me at the time, and she said you are just over tiered leave the hallway light on. So that's what I did and returned to my room and whatever it was it was gone, and that night I sleep facing the wall.

So if it wasn't for that incidence I probably be more doubtful, but even hearing some stories makes me have some belief feeling in them. Like about my aunt's story before she drowned a few months back she had this weird dream. In the dream she was walking along the beach with my deceased grandpa, then he look at her and pointed saying, "You will be next". Then months after she was found dead at her favorite camping spot.

It's pretty creepy but that's what makes ghost stories interesting. I have some beliefs of their existence and disbelief that they are all in our minds, or are products of our own minds.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zombie-F said:
The world isn't flat!?! :eek:

I believe there's an afterlife as well, but I do believe it's possible to have an afterlife without the existance of ghosts. If our spirits are transported to another plane of existance (i.e. Heaven or Hell) then it's possible ghosts on our planet don't exist because said spirits are accounted for elsewhere... unless of course, they escape. :eek:

This is the perfect topic for Raxl to ramble on incessantly over. He's gone on ghost hunts before.
I agree entirely with Zombie's first paragraph. However, if souls are "drawn to the light" and either go to Heaven or Hell and it is their time, I don't see how escape could be possible. You are dealing with Unversal Primal Forces here. The Creator of the Cosmos. I don't believe that any of us are able to withstand an irresistable pull as this. I agree that their are unusal occurences here and there on this planet, but I don't think ghosts have been proven to the point that they could be counted among these things.

·
Registered
59 Posts
But legend has it that in the afterlife, there isn't just heaven and hell, but a state of limbo called purgatory. Isn't it possible that being a ghost, and being stuck in once place for a long time such as the house you died in, could be a part of purgatory?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ghost Sightings, Stories, and pictures.

Ghost Talk!

Have you ever seen a ghost? Or is there a family member or friend who seen a ghost? Or perhaps did you see a deceased person in a dream? Or do you have a favorite ghost story or even a favorite unexplained ghost picture? Please share your ghostly stories, and those ghostly pictures for us to see and read.

A Ghost In My Room?

I believe I might have seen a ghost when I was thirteen but that night I might have been over tiered so it's hard to say. How it began was during the night I was sleeping but I had woken up laying in my bed. I was looking straight in front of me and I was pretty sure I saw this ghostly white figure looking right at me. I couldn't make it out too much only that it might of been female. I was scared that I covered my eyes and left my room to tell my cousin who was baby-sitting me. She told me you're just over tiered and leave the hallway room light. So that's what I done. Then I return to my room and it was gone, and all the night I sleep facing the wall.

A Ghost Messenger In A Dream

Before the death of my aunt, my mother had told me a weird dream my aunt had, shortly before she passed away. In the dream my aunt was walking along the shore with my deceased grandpa (He died in the same year as her), and he stop then he pointed at her saying you will be next. Then later on my aunt was found dead floating in the water at her favorite camping spot but apparently she drowned the night before after having a fight with my uncle she left and she might of slip in the water and she didn't know how to swim.

Creepy Ghost Picture

Here is a ghost picture I thought to share. I have seen this picture all over in ghost books, but it is very spooky. Here is a little information about it.

The photograph above of a cowled monk standing by an altar rail was taken in the early 1960s by the vicar of a church in England. At the time he saw nothing that was out of the ordinary. But his developed film showed the tall phantom monk seen here. It appears to be about three meters tall. The film was carefully checked by photographic experts but showed no signs of tampering.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I had a dream with my father in it about a week after he passed away. It felt like it was so real, but was obviously a dream. He came to check up on us and to tell me that everything was going to be ok. My brother and mother had similar dreams around the same time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've never seen any ghost but my father said he did. One night, everybody was asleep and my mother heard a noise in the house, like someone opening and closing some drawers. So she get up but couldn't see anything. Everybody was asleep except her. Only a few years after, my parents talked about it and my father said he saw a ghost that night. He said it was like a white silhouette and it was walking. My parents thought it was the ghost of the father of a little girl they were babysitting at that time. The ghost would have come in the little girl's bedroom to see if everything was ok. That could explain the sound of all the drawers opening and closing.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ghosts

So, does anybody believe in ghosts and the like?
Seen any? :confused:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
D'oh :eek:
Guess if I actually looked around, I may have seen this.
Anyways, I guess it goes with out saying that I believe. While I have gone on many ghost hunts, I've yet to see anything.
There is a pretty strong ghostly history to my family though. The house I grew up in was suppoedly haunted, and my grandparents had an exorcism performed. My grandmothers brother was the preist for the Boston Fire Department and he did the exorcism. Apparently something had come down out of the attic and revealed itself to my uncle. It later made another appearance in a closet upstairs. All this happened before I was born, but there was always a fresh container of holy water at the front door for as long as we lived there.
I don't believe in heaven or hell or any of that other nonsense, but I do believe that we have a measureable energy in ourselves, and SOMETHING has to happen to it when we die. It doesn't just "go away". I think that sometimes it can linger in one place, and that that energy can join with other energies, causing all kinds of crazy reactions.
I can't go so far as to say ghosts are the "souls" of any one person, but I do think they are a grouping of energy from lots of people. I think this is why it's so rare to actually see a ghost take the form of any one person. Because they aren't just one person.
Sometimes we can detect these energies with scientific instruments, cameras ect., and sometimes the energies can play tricks on our minds. Science has proven the effects of electric fields on human minds can cause some extreme images.
Anyways, I don't KNOW what they are for sure, but I am sure there is more to this world than meets the eye.
Like Transformers. :D

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See whattcha miss when you don't hang-out with the old gang? :D ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do I believe in Ghosts?

Can't say one way or the other. I do know I've never seen a ghost. I don't think though that being religious means you have to believe in ghosts. That all depends on the religion I suppose. The Protestant religion mianly teaches that no one can come back to earth in any form after death. That's all I know. You have to put your faith and belief in some teaching or another. So unless we've actually witnessed something ourselves I guess our answer all depends on which one of those teachings we all put our faith into. Who knows though. Maybe one day I'll see a ghost, and my mind will be changed. Until then I have only my beliefs to go by. So I guess that's a big I HAVE NO CLUE...lol.

1 - 20 of 809 Posts