Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm starting some UV glow trials to see hat works best for me and what doesn't. In other words, different types of paints, etc. for blacklight. My main concern is, as always, cost. I'll share what I find as I go along so my trials and errors may help others.

This experiment used Apple Barrel paints (2 oz.) from Michaels for about .69 ea. In order from left to right in regular indoor lighting:
Neon Red, Neon Pink, Neon Blue, Neon Purple, Neon Green and Neon Orange.

The next picture is taken only using a 24" florescent blacklight bought from Menards for roughly $10.00 . Again:
Neon Red, Neon Pink, Neon Blue, Neon Purple, Neon Green and Neon Orange.

The results to my eye: Neon Red, Pink and Orange look and glow very much alike under blacklight. The orange is slightly more pastel looking, and the Pink may be just a teensy tad brighter than the Red. For me, if only using a color under black light for a "popping" orangish, the hot pink does the job well.

I was pleasently surprised that the Neon Blue glowed so nicely under the Blacklight, because in regular light, it actually is dark. The Neon green glowed
nicely, but to me it was no surprise.

What was a little surprising is that the Neon Purple glowed very little and appears almost useless when the blacklight is mounted from a foot or more away. If the light is veeery close, it almost appears dark blood red, but I won't be lighting it from 6" away. For me, it is useless as a blacklight paint.

I have yet to try Neon Yellow or some others. When I do, I'll add to this thread.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm finding, of course, pricey and expensive paints, but I'm a cheapskate by necessity! :D

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Ickie, you remind me of the scrubbing bubbles commercial....."we work hard so you don't have toooooooo"

Thanks alot for sharing this info....I didn't even know there was a fl. blue.....I have been very upset to find that Fl. Blue spraypaint doesn't seem to exist anymore.....this gives me hope! Thanks again!

·
Registered
375 Posts
hey these are exactly what I used in my dot room. The apple barrel paints. They do very well under the black lights.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Wormyt/Dot Room/

I do have the yellow as well. Now try looking at the colors with 3-D glasses and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now thats cool.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay folks, for the next experiments I found .50 paint called Craft Smart at Micheal's and the Neon Yellow Apple Barrell.

As you can see from the photo below, Neon Yellow was added on the far right side of the first row, but wasn't labeled. Underneath the first row, Craft Smart Neon Pink, Neon Green, Neon Orange and Neon Yellow were also laid out.

The results are: The Apple Barrel Neon Yellow glowed nice and bright under the blacklight, while the Craft Smart Neon Yellow changed to a bright lime green.

The Neon green did not glow as brightly as the Apple Barrell green, however the Craft Smart orange glowed a brighter peach than did the darked orange of Apple Barrell.

The Craft Smart neon Pink looked almost more pink or flesh than did Apple Barrell neon pink or neon red which tended to look more orange.

More scrubbing bubbles to come soon! :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
the craftsmart pink is much better than the other. The apple pink was too similar to the red.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Boy, I wish I had seen this thread a couple of hours ago. I just bought the same Apple Barrel paints to do the same experiment. Thanks for the legwork!

BTW - the Apple Barrel paints were $.44 at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
375 Posts
So now with you all seeing this...how many will make a dot room this year???? Come on fess up...anyone. I used the appel barrel paints on mine and it rocks. I will order about 50 pair of 3d glasses this time to go along with my dot room. Last year I used only 5 pair and with 300 folks in line to go through this dot room with the 3d glasses well they took a beating. So 50 will work better. Come on folks.....get some paints and try out a dot room as you will NOT be sorry.

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Wormy your soo cute. You make me laugh. You certainly show the woman folk here that anyone can do this stuff. Im always impressed with your work. BTW, how many dots are in that dot room?

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Sickie, where did you get the other paints? Not the apple ones. THANKS

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Turtle. I must admit that all my neon florescent paints I have tended to get from Michael's. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts