Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello , i have a chance to rent an old church that's maybe 1,800 square feet,i live in a small town of maybe 6000 people ,but every last weekend in september we have the pumpkin festivel that draws around 25,000 people at least .there has not been a haunted house for the festival in about 15 years which was jaycee's haunted house(dont know if affiliated with the same i see on the net)this church is right in the pumpkin festival and i want to try to have a haunt for charity (animal shelter) but for the life of me i cant think of a name or a theme, since it's an old church ..any ideas , also it's going to be mainly actors any help would greatly be appreciated.. thanks

·
Administrator
10,702 Posts
When you mentioned a church, the first thing I thought of was the church in Sleepy Hallow. Maybe you could do a headless horseman theme?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I went to a haunt that was in a church a couple of years back they were trying to save it from being chrused...what they did was turn it into a old nunery with many room with people that were pessed by a demon that had taken over the town.....and eventualy even the nunes lost it and left ther pations for dead....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks for replying so quick....
the name of the town is barnesville, south st. no cemetary but maybe enough room to put one..
i was thinking along the lines for name

church of terror,church of nightmares, ect..but i think there are already haunts with these names..

but if i could think of a theme i could go from there for a name .
but my mind goes blank...

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
whats the name of the festival?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the idea's everybody, i love this place..

lilly.... it;s the pumpkin festival

do you guy's think it's as important to have a theme with a smaller haunt compared to a larger haunt???

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've always thought some kind of theme is a good thing - keeping a consistent thread of scares throughout your haunt - keeps things tied together - gives it a cohesiveness...like you're telling a story.

·
Registered
842 Posts
South Street Church of Lost Souls
I like that, I think you have a good idea with a "lost souls" theme. Nightmares is also good, I think those two would fit better for a church than words like terror or evil. You and I would surely understand and enjoy a haunt like that but some locals may take it wrong, even though it is for a charity. Plus if it is in a church that may remain a church you have to consider people's feelings for it's sanctity.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Excellent point IshWitch - one I was mulling over as I was mowing the yard today. One thing to seriously consider is the venue and the almost certainty of people objecting to a haunt held in an old church. While it may be nothing more than an empty building to you - to many it still bears tremendous significance.

Do not be surprised if you have the occasional protestor. Even though they are supposed to be christians many are extremists and do not follow the real teachings of their claimed religion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
very good point.. since it is a small conservative town..

church of the lost souls is a killer name i like it .now what about a theme that fits the name?? church of nightmares, or nightmare on south street. is good also and the theme could be more variable touching on phobias and stuff ..

WOW!!! thanks guy's when i get to my 10th post ill put a pic up of the church..

14,925 Posts
Here's another name that may work "Temple of Shattered Prayers" though may be a little risky for your town. Or maybe ""The Cursed Church on South Street"?
And I like the plan to work with the animal shelter. Have you talked with them yet with a proposal? Or talked with the township on your plans?

·
Registered
723 Posts
very good point.. since it is a small conservative town..

church of the lost souls is a killer name i like it .now what about a theme that fits the name?? church of nightmares, or nightmare on south street. is good also and the theme could be more variable touching on phobias and stuff ..

WOW!!! thanks guy's when i get to my 10th post ill put a pic up of the church..
Seems to me church theme are replete with ideas that are horrifying - in some cases they seem to be trying to engender those fears (can't possibly imagine why...).

Anyway - several images come to mind but it would really depend on the style of the building (which we'll see after you make a few more posts).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i like cursed church on south street also, great ideas,
yes i have talked to the animal shelter, they have donation box in every buisness around town, so they are doing pretty rough, when i proposed to them they were all about it and said they could get me radio airplay...

i talked to the fire chief and he didnt know anything about "fire codes for a haunt" so i might get lucky with the over the 1000sqr.ft sprinkler code..i have my fingers crossed...thanks just wanted to let everybody know i feel at home here already...thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
just be careful what you do. this was an old church and probly some of the people from the town went there or had past family members go there.

im not sure if this is like a landmark or something in the area but the last thing you wanna do is make some1 mad. as far as a theme for inside the haunt... for a first year haunt i wouldnt try to go balls to the wall. but thats just me. im not sure if you ever built a haunt before or a display or any type of decorating but building a complete walk through haunt takes alot of time. you could start out with a simple zombie theme this year and let that help you build up set ideas and props for the 2nd year.

are you planning on making wall panels? shoot us some idea what kind of materials and what general direction you want to go on this.. what i do in my haunt is when i have the guests walk into the huant they are standing in the 1st room of the house, towards the middle i turn it into a darker maze type deal and by the end they are walking into more themed rooms. keeping the middle dark and cutting the guests ability to see much really creeps them out, never know whats around that next bend.

·
Registered
664 Posts
A church??
Hell I don't even think you NEED a theme!
Just make the church really creeping looking.

And also, idk who has played Resident Evil 4,
but it takes place partly in a church type of building and alot of the time you hear these EXTREMELY creepy chanting monks.
It's like a low mutter chant.
GOD it is so creepy.
You should record some sort of low chant and have it playing from the place where it will echo the most.
That would be pretty creepy.

Don't forget to cover up windows so it's as dark as possible.
Put some bodies in the pews or something.
I don't know what type of church it is and how far their letting you go with it haha.

·
Registered
723 Posts
And also, idk who has played Resident Evil 4,
but it takes place partly in a church type of building and alot of the time you hear these EXTREMELY creepy chanting monks.
It's like a low mutter chant.
GOD it is so creepy.
You should record some sort of low chant and have it playing from the place where it will echo the most.
That would be pretty creepy.
My current SFX track / project is an "Exorcism" replete with a slooowly tolling bell - the wind whipping around the outside with a raging storm - in the distance you can hear monks chanting, their echoes ringing off the walls from across the sanctuary someplace...

and in the foreground you hear a priest administering the rites of exorcism as well as the tortured soul of a girl screaming and crying - her obscenities lashing out violently at the cleric.

Only one hitch - I need to find the rite of exorcism in latin (and find someone who can reasonably speak them) as well as get recordings of a female / girl uttering these profanities and curses in various languages. I've already had an offer for the female part. I'll gladly perform the priest's role but I do not know Latin well enough to make a passing attempt at recording that part.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts