Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something a little different. We all love Halloween on this board, but as with the other 364 days of the year there are ALWAYS things we don't like about a day. As special as this one is, it is no exception; indeed, there's probably more about it than any one day of the year (save for maybe Christmas) What are some things that stick like a bone in your throat about the day?

1. People who don't give it the respect it deserves-This about covers every religious group and those who lack any imagination.

2. Weather not being right-That's Florida for you. It rarely feels like Halloween when October 31 comes around. It's hard to get into a groove in a cool costume when you're sweating your ass off like I did last year in my Reaper outfit.

3. Christmas Decor far outweighing Halloween goodies in Retail Stores- No explanantion needed really. Christmas begins to rear its red and green head sometime late July. Halloween is merely an afterthought.

4. Cool gear seen on the 'Net, but not in any stores-Why the **** don't retailers check out their PC's every once in awhile? Maybe they fall into the first category I mentioned in some way. There's so many rich resources to bring some quality stuff to Halloween shops, but you always seem to get the same crappy selections year after year.

5. "Fun-Size" candy bars- Really, when you think of fun, do visions of barely bite size Snickers bars dance through your head? Give me a King-Size and then the fun can begin. :D

I have more, but I don't want to hog all the fun. Get your gripes in before I change my mind and start listing more. :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,847 Posts
I can't stand the large, inflatable, light up lawn ornaments. Oh cute.

I also can't stand kids who come TOTing and don't even have a costume on. Come on, at least put a little effort into it. I did. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
:p I can't stand not getting ANY trick-or-treaters. :voorhees:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
1. The funda"mental"ist hatred of the holy day.

2. Lack of the original meaning of the day present in today's celebrations. Where are the beliefs of the ancient Kelts, that the year had two "hinges". These were Beltaine (the first of May) and Samhain, (the first of November), which is also the traditional Keltic New Year. And these two days were the most magical, and often frightening times of the whole year. At Samhain, time lost all meaning and the past, present, and future were one. The dead, and the denizens of the Other World, walked among the living. It was a time of fairies, ghosts, and witches. Winter itself was the Season of Ghosts, and Samhain is the night of their release from the Underworld. This is the night to remember and honor beloved departed, for the veil between the living and the dead is thin, and communication is possible on Samhain Eve.

3. Commercialism.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
376 Posts
1. People talking about getting a headstart on Thanksgiving in October. Thanksgiving is THE most worthless holiday ever, with the 4th of July riding right up in there, getting the number 2 spot. And it always escapes me why anyone would ever be excited about Thanksgiving. The women do all the cooking, the guys just watch stupid sports on TV, the kids bury their heads in portable stereos (I just say this to cover all the ground of the latest portable CD/midi/iPod/MP3 players, saves time) and plot on how they're going to be able to sneak a smoke outside with that many people around, you have to invite family members to your gathering and I personally can't stand my family. I usually wind up wishing I could stowaway on my best friend's family thanksgiving gettogether, at least she likes her parents.

2. I'm too old to go trick or treating now.

3. More kids would come to my door to get the tons of candy I buy every year if the rest of my neighbors weren't so damn stingey every year. But I hate this even more because I wouldn't like anyone telling me I had to buy and giveout candy. What gives me the right to even call them stingey? I already have huge problems paying taxes so rich bastards can get all the breaks, nothing about me screams "qualified to demand" anything from anyone.

4. All the decent horror programming is always on Turner Classic Movies and I don't get that channel. Furthermore, I don't know how to get that channel. They always have great classic marathons.

5. Wal-Mart never seems to take this holiday seriously anymore when they lay out their horror DVD displays. Last year all they had were the worst Columbia-TriStar anti-special editions. The only DVD I bought last year from their horror display was Gremlins 2, which of course I was happy about it only costing about $8.67 total, certainly a better deal than buying it over the internet. Plus, they don't set up their displays anymore until the 3rd of final week in the month. I'm praying this year that since there have been a hell of a whole lot more horror films in the theaters this year (Cursed, Boogeyman, Hide and Seek, The Ring 2, White Noise, Saw, High Tension, Alone In the Dark).

6. The fact that anyone would listen to what those bible-thumping holyrollers have to say anyway.

That's pretty much it, at least it's all I can think of for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Well I completely agree with most of you but here's my list-

1. The Christmas stuff having a larger section in stores. Not that I'd buy any of that crap, but just the message it sends.

2. The fact that Halloween night is no longer much fun (or at least where I live). I still go trick-or-treating with friends, but we go to houses with people who couldn't care less about Halloween. When Christmas comes, almost everyone will put lights up or something. Even my family, who lives down a long driveway completely surrounded by woods, puts up some lights and a wreath. But I wait 364 days for Halloween, only to be dissapointed.

3. Having to drive over an hour to go to a haunted house. This obviously only applies in certain areas. But I can only go to a couple haunted houses a year becuase they're so far away.

4. The crap that stores put in they're Halloween section. It makes it so there's a million Incredible Hulk's on Halloween. Having more of a DIY attitude towards life, I would rather see kids come up with an origional costume idea, or at least do something to make the costume look less generic.

There's my rant
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
Sinister said:
This is something a little different. We all love Halloween on this board, but as with the other 364 days of the year there are ALWAYS things we don't like about a day. As special as this one is, it is no exception; indeed, there's probably more about it than any one day of the year (save for maybe Christmas) What are some things that stick like a bone in your throat about the day?

1. People who don't give it the respect it deserves-This about covers every religious group and those who lack any imagination.

2. Weather not being right-That's Florida for you. It rarely feels like Halloween when October 31 comes around. It's hard to get into a groove in a cool costume when you're sweating your ass off like I did last year in my Reaper outfit.

3. Christmas Decor far outweighing Halloween goodies in Retail Stores- No explanantion needed really. Christmas begins to rear its red and green head sometime late July. Halloween is merely an afterthought.

4. Cool gear seen on the 'Net, but not in any stores-Why the **** don't retailers check out their PC's every once in awhile? Maybe they fall into the first category I mentioned in some way. There's so many rich resources to bring some quality stuff to Halloween shops, but you always seem to get the same crappy selections year after year.

5. "Fun-Size" candy bars- Really, when you think of fun, do visions of barely bite size Snickers bars dance through your head? Give me a King-Size and then the fun can begin. :D

I have more, but I don't want to hog all the fun. Get your gripes in before I change my mind and start listing more. :p

Hehe .. love your bit on "Fun-size" candy bars, have to eat a whole damn bag to equal one normal size candy bar :rolleyes: But I would have to agree with everyones sentiments on what isn't liked about Halloween, it doesnt get the full hoorah that it deserves. Things I dont like about Halloween:

1. It's only one DAMN day a year!! That should be against the law :mad:

2. All the fake's coming claiming to love Halloween when there idea of a scarey movie is E.T.

3. complete lack of creativity - know it's been said but it is SOOO true

That's what I can think of for now .. I am sure I am missing a few, but I will post more if I can think of any

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
376 Posts
Doctorthingit said:
Wal-Mart never seems to take this holiday seriously anymore when they lay out their horror DVD displays. I'm praying this year that since there have been a hell of a whole lot more horror films in the theaters this year (Cursed, Boogeyman, Hide and Seek, The Ring 2, White Noise, Saw, High Tension, Alone In the Dark).
Can't forget The Amityville Horror, The Skeleton Key, The Devils' Rejects, Salem's Lot: TV-movie remake, and that Exorcism of Emily Rose. And of course all the remakes coming out soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
My number one pet peeve about Halloween is concerning trick or treating in broad daylight!!! Yeah, yeah safety and all that but remember how much fun it was going from house to house back in the old days when we did it after dark? It was so much creepier and exciting back then...hmmm, am I showing my age here? lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
Blackwidow said:
My number one pet peeve about Halloween is concerning trick or treating in broad daylight!!! Yeah, yeah safety and all that but remember how much fun it was going from house to house back in the old days when we did it after dark? It was so much creepier and exciting back then...hmmm, am I showing my age here? lol

Hehe .. I think that's a good one, I always went trick or treating after dark. That was what made it so exciting .. I loved it. Now a days they start showing up around 4:30 .. that just doesn't seem right :rolleyes: That's not showing your age .. hehe .. thats just the way it should be :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,847 Posts
Really? Daylight TOTing? That seems sacreligious!

Our town does TOT after dark. We start getting them around 6:00, and the last ones usually come trotting up the driveway at about 10:00.

One thing about Halloween I didn't like was finding out TOTing was banned in the town my wife grew up in! They only recently (two years ago) lifted the ban. That's just crazy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If there's any done around here, it's usually done in broad daylight, so the practice is not unheard of in every part of the company. I too, think there's something inherently wrong with the activity, since most of the things people dress up as are some sort of Night Creature. There are still some kiddies that come out at night but if the do they might get the worst part of the candy, those long sought after missing bible tracts to complete their collections from the years gone by, or better yet "Another rock." :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,847 Posts
I now have a new thing I hate... the extension of Daylight Savings time to the first sunday in november. TOTing is supposed to be in the dark, not in broad daylight! This ruins alot of the effects in my display, not that our wondrous government cares about such trivial things as my yard decor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has that actually went into effect yet? I've been hearing about it, but I understand that there are those in high places that are steadfast against it. I for one hate daylight savings time and wish this idiotic practice would be abolished.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
Sinister said:
Has that actually went into effect yet? I've been hearing about it, but I understand that there are those in high places that are steadfast against it. I for one hate daylight savings time and wish this idiotic practice would be abolished.

That couldn't of been worded better .. I honestly wish I could live in that part of Alaska where it stays dark for a few months of the year .. tan? nah .. they are over rated and just make you look like a aligator purse by the time you are 30 :p Bring on the darkness .. it is calling :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
That daylight savings extension kicks in in 2007.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
My biggest Halloween peeves are holy rollers who insist that Halloween and anything having to do with it are satanic, regardless of how much evidence that the celebration of Halloween predates their religion is shown to them, and the way Halloween has been.. well,for lack of a better word I will say "disneyfied", meaning that most of the Halloween decorations and costumes I see in stores are meant to be cute or funny instead of scary..case in point, the inflatable light up yard things someone else was talking about. Also, I don't think trick or treating can be as much fun for kids now as it was for me, in a way I am glad my nieces and nephews are too young to really know what they missed out on. It seem that every year more places want trick or treating done in broad daylight, and instead of going house to house, churches in my area have what they call "trunk or treat" where church members park in the church parking lot and kids go from car to car, because supposedly it isnt safe anymore to go house to house. Still, how much fun can walking around a parking lot be? And because this is done on church property, the kids aren't even allowed to wear scary costumes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Trunk or Treat? In a church parking lot and NO COSTUMES??? How can they even pretend that this is a Halloween event? This kind of thing makes me nauseous!
 
1 - 20 of 250 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top