Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of putting up donation boxes outside of my yard haunt? (Particularly since the money will be going to be rather than a charity.)

Here's the backstory...
Hiring a crane to hoist my giant witch up onto the roof has become so expensive that I don't think I'm likely to do it next year. Some of my neighbors suggested a donation box to help fund the "witch wenching". I'm not sure how I feel about that. Is it tacky?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I know a lot of members on here use donation boxes. We all know how expensive halloween is. I have never used a box, nor do I plan to. I am curious to see if those that have, made enough money to be worth the trouble. I'm not really sure how many people honestly go trick or treating with money to donate. I'm sure those with boxes hear things like,"damn I would like to but the money is in the car" and " I didn't bring my wallet, but you did great" or the best one, " hope those who can will support you" and then not leave anything.

Again I don't use a box for the haunt, but I work for a non profit, and these excuses I hear almost daily.

Lets hear from those who put boxes out . I probably still won't use one, but I am interested in seeing how this goes.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I am planning on putting a donations box out this year. This is our second year and my neighbors were shocked we pulled off a haunted house the first year. This year I spread the word as much as I could that we were taking donations to help support the haunt. We'll see if it's worth it or not.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Personally, I've never liked the idea of them, but can understand how some people might need to. I do it as my gift to the community, and for the kids. Most of what we spend goes into reusable material anyway, so it's just a long term investment. On another forum last year, a lawyer spoke up saying that having a donation box could be construed as an "implied" admission, and might void homeowners insurance should anything go wrong.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I like the idea of food donation boxes instead... I do agree that haunts are expensive and it'd be nice for a little support, but I also agree that a haunt is a gift to the community (and for your own entertainment) unless it is an admission based commercial type haunt.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Definitely for charity.

If somebody had a non commercial haunt and asked for money I'd give them "the look."

But everyone is different - so who knows. Tacky - sorta. Sorry.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
There's an old saying that goes "Don't live beyond your means." I think that applies quite eloquently here. If you don't have the money to put on a Spielberg-esque type haunt, then don't do it and go a route you can work comfortably with. If I saw some set up like this, I would not be visiting that place again the following year and would tell the folks I knew to also keep away from it. It shouldn't be up to your neighbors or anyone else to support your "habit." If you can't financially pull it off, change direction and do something else like I said or don't do anything. It's just that simple.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Here's another option as opposed to a donation box. If you have a web site for your haunt, you could display the URL (via a sign) during your haunt and have a link on your web site for donations.

I don't personally ask for donations and I think it would be tacky to ask for donations the night(s) of the haunt. I personally do what I do because the kids (and some of the adults) get a big kick out of it.

·
Dear Beer, Thanks. :D
1,061 Posts
I have 2 $ donations boxes and one food donations box. I give all of the cash to my charity even though it could be used to help cover the enormous costs of candy, props and electricity. It just wouldn't feel right to pocket the cash.
Tacky if not for charity.
A good haunt is its own reward.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am having a donations box at the hot chocolate table. Our haunt is open 2 nights and we don't ask people to donate we just say they are appreciated and accepted.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Shadyhallows - your 14 and don't work for a living. I think that is fair game for donations. Especially if they honestly go back into next years haunt.

I agree with that as an instance. I think the tacky comes in (and no offense to anybody) for the adults who want $$ to buy more stuff.

rock on shadyhallows.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm glad to read this thread. We've never done it but just tonight I thought, well, maybe we should. Some haunters do. And sometimes our patrons offer it unsolicited...however, this has steeled my resolve to stay pure. Plus taking any money just gives people a right to complain! The moral high ground is a much more satisfying place to be.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got over 100 dollars in donations and I didn't even have a donations sign! Most people asked how much it cost to go through the trail and when we said free they were impressed!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Shady - again - great job. Even on the donations. Now just make sure you turn that back around into props and supplys for next year.

One thing you might think about is putting in a cd at the bank. Let it gain a little interest - you've got time to deposit whatever is left over from the day after sales.

Sounds like folks had fun. That's the true reward.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Every year we toy with the idea of a donation box....My husband is all for it...but it makes me feel uncomfortable. I think that the reward is in the words of praise from the parents...or from some little kid who says that "my house is the coolest". Don't get me wrong....$ to help defray the costs...would be a welcomed thing.....more volunteers to help set up and then clean up would be even better. Who know's maybe I'll change my mind next year, anyhow that's my 2 cents for whatever it is worth.:)

·
Registered
823 Posts
mnstrmum -

My wife and I were discussing Shady at breakfast today... I explained the thread and my thoughts.

While I don't want to come across as an a** - I think you are right in your feeling. Of course - like Shady - there are exceptions to every rule.

Many of us are just here doing it because we love hearing the comments. We make decent livings and support what we make.

There was a thread - or maybe it's earlier in this thread - a comment made about not overspending your means. I think it applies perfectly for adults - but when your a kid and your means are either zero or your parents but they are not involved - then I could justify the donation.

I want to grow bigger - but will wait to do so before I even ask for food donations for the local pantry.

OR if you want to do a donation box - donate the proceeds to charity...

Say I buy a Mercedes as opposed to the Chrysler van I drive. Just because I want a Mercedes (nicer toys) - does that mean it's okay to put a can in my driveway asking for donations with my car payments?

That's over the top - but the essential message is still there. Remember - opinions are what make the world go around. What maybe right for me - might not be for you. And vice versa. You get 100 folks in a room - you certainly won't get the same opinion from every one!

Your two cents are very valid.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts