Haunt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thunder Columns Updates

I finally updated the plans for the Thunder Columns. I'm still in the framing stage, and with it being rainy here until Saturday, I won't be able to put more work in on them until the weekend. My plans for the weekend are to finish the frames, and (hopefully) have the 10" woofers mounted into the bottom for a sound test.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since the rain stopped a day earlier than anticipated, I put in some more work on the frames tonight. One frame is nearly finished... I only need to put the top on it and it's done. Then, I'll most likely have frame number two done some time tomorrow (Saturday the 17th), and then it's time to cut the speaker template and mount that in the frame.

With luck, I'll have enough time to test out the speakers Sunday, but I'm also going to be sealing the back deck that day as well, so I wouldn't bet on it.

I'll update the plans on the main site tomorrow (Saturday the 17th).

I'm much happier with the new design for these that I came up with. The speakers won't be crammed into their space, and there should be some more room for the electronic components and wires to "breathe." I'm even considering making the thing somewhat weather-tight so I can leave them out all October as opposed to wheeling them out for one night only.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finished the first frame today, and should finish number two later today or early tomorrow. I also updated the Plans for this project to bring you up to speed on what I've done so far.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carcasses Done

I didn't get as far along today as I wanted. I did do some reasearch into buying the speaker crossovers, as well as buying bass ports for the woofers. I think I will be using tweeters in the cabinet since the thunder's "Crackle" has some high-frequency in it that I don't think the woofers will be able to handle.

Here's a pic of the completed carcasses. The skeleton in the photo is 3 feet tall, and is there just for reference.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speakers

I've decided to use the other two Hartke speakers from my old bass cabinet in the bottoms of the pillars, and I also selected some tweeters and crossovers to use. I bought all my speaker equipment from a place called Parts Express. If all goes well, I should have all this stuff by the weekend and be able to get the speaker system installed and wired up.

The next step after that is to purchase the light-flickering circuits, the stereo amp and a transformer to power it all. I'm still deciding between a 25W and a 35W stereo amp. The old pillars had a 25W, but I think that it may be nice to have an extra 10W to play with if I ever feel it should be louder. The difference in price is about $13, so I may just spring for the extra 10W. The light flickering circuits are only $9 each, and I can get the transformer from a overstock supply house for $3. So much to think about. :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've rethought my approach to amplifying the sound here a bit. I'm going to use my brother's old Sony AM/FM CD Receiver to both play the thunder loop and amplify the sound. I can probably even use the wiring harness to my advantage as well. This will simplify the project tremendously.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's starting to look like something!

I managed to make a few errors over the weekend that have set me back a bit, so I've spent the past few evenings catching up. I've mounted the woofers and the connectors that will be used to link one column to the other for stereo sound. I've also moutned the CD head into the "main column". See the attached image for where I'm at. :D

With luck, I'll mount the tweeter tomorrow and wire the speakers to the crossovers and give 'em a test. *crosses fingers*

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Argh

I had a little mishap with one of the potentiometers this weekend, and since Radio Shack doesn't carry the ones I need, I have to place an order online, which effectively puts me at a roadblock until they arrive. *sigh*

I do have another little project I'll be starting in the meantime (and once the Sun comes out again) in the form of my Pumpkin Patch and my Corn field.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had a hard time locating a suitable potentiometer to replace the one I broke, so I cracked open the old columns and snagged one off of the old setup. Kinda sucks because now if I want to use the old columns as a static prop, I have to do some repairs to it. Anyway, I'll be back in action later this week. Once the wiring portion is done, it's smooth sailing to finish it off. :D

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wired For Sound

Tonight I wired up the whole shebang, and gave the speakers and sound to light modulator circuits the big test. Tomorrow I'll try and post a short video of them working, if I have time.

Keep up with the progress by going here.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Video Clip

I finished assembling the wood panels to the frame tonight, and gave the whole thing a test. I shot a short video clip of the test so you can see a sampling of the effect. The video doesn't do it real justice. It looks so much better in the dark of night in a cemetery, so try to use your imagination.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Newest Photo

I haven't shown an updated picture of the columns here on the forums for a while. Have a look at the current incarnation of them.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done Sanding!!!

I finished sanding today! Tomorrow I'll be carving in the exposed brick areas, and then it's paint time this weekend! It's almost done!!!

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Almost done. I just need to paint them. Here they are with the brick patterns etched into them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts