Haunt Forum banner

Tim Burton Style Fence Finials - Quick & Easy

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  The Halloween Lady 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are some Tim Burton style partial finials made from 3/4" wide steel strapping. I like using rigid materials but I'm sure you can make it out of craft foam and popsicle sticks...

Took about 5-10 minutes

Finial "in place" here

• I cut 12" lengths (you can bend the strapping back and forth to break it also).
  • Rolled it up to the look I wanted. Depending on the gauge of the metal, simply rolling it up by hand might be tough (use leather gloves and needle nose pliers to make it easier.
  • You can either roll them out a bit or tighten them up. To make it skinnier, just cut them in half up the middle before you start fiddling with it using tin snips.
  • Attach to structure with 1/2" self-tapping sheet metal screws (SMS) or a strong adhesive.
  • Apply finishes accordingly
*I only ask that you be careful. While you won't be carving the Thanksgiving turkey with it, sheet steel can be extremely sharp. Wear gloves to prevent cutting your hands up and glasses to prevent poking your eyes out if the strapping springs up in your face. This particular strapping is not sharp except at the ends were the cut is made.

Notes:
- If I make this type of fence using the straps, I will get a metal pipe the same diameter as the PVC used and radius the strap where it attaches (if needed). This will allow to it fit the pipe contour better. However if the pipe diameter is greater than the strap width, making a radius on the strap may not be necessary. Depends what the end look you want is.
- SMS could be used to temporarily hold the final to the piping if you were to adhere it.

Strapping
*No that's not a plastic stress mark from me punching my mouse in the background* : )

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.