Haunt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there is a time or word limit on posting? I tried twice today to post a sort of longish how-to on a prop building thread, and both times when I hit "submit" I was taken to the log in screen again, but I had already logged on. Do you get booted off if you've been typing too long??:(

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Yes, you do get booted if you take too long to type. To avoid that, make sure the "Remember me" button is checked off when you log in. This will stop you from getting logged out during long periods of inactivity.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I can't tell you how that particular function has pissed me off more than once. Whole great posts eliminated never to be written again or read by anyone...:(

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, after getting booted twice, I had to walk away for a while and "simmer down". Then I cut the post into three parts and sent it that way!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I feel your pain. If I know I'm going on for a bit, I will put it in a word doc and simply cut and paste. I don't trust the forum not to eliminate the post even with that "remember me," reminder going on.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
i think i've posted about this...........that 'remember me' doesn't work for this chick

i've checked that box pert near every time i've been here.......only to be logged off not long - and i mean not long - periods of inactivity as in maybe 2 mins

alot of times on online at another vbulletin board same time i'm here - so i don't know if there's a conflict or what cuz it happens on that board as well

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Gypsichic, do you have javascript turned off? Have you tried deleting your cookies. Sounds like you have a bad cookie stored on your machine or that you have them turned off. Make sure cookies and javascript are enabled in your web browser's options.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Is there a reason why that "remember me" box can't have a default checkmark already in it, if we (Black Cat and I) forget to check it as we log in, then it shows us the loggin accepted screen but doesn't really log us in, and we have to go back and log in all over.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
also if you have your web page to automatically delete cookies or files when you leave a page, you are actually deleting that check mark and therefor not remaining "remember me"d. Check your settings on Internet explorer or Firefox, what ever browser you use.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Vlad said:
Is there a reason why that "remember me" box can't have a default checkmark already in it, if we (Black Cat and I) forget to check it as we log in, then it shows us the loggin accepted screen but doesn't really log us in, and we have to go back and log in all over.
I'll look into having it checked by default.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Wait you mean it works for me so im finally doing something right.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
While this won't keep you from having to re log on, it may save you some headaches.
After you have written your post, but before you have tried to submit it, do a "Select All" (command/control "A"), then hit "Copy". Now you can hit the submit button, if it goes through, great, if not, and you have to re log on, you can do the log on routine, and then go to the reply box again, and paste the text in, and then hit the submit button again, because this will only take a few seconds to do, it should go through without any problem.
If you are going to put up a How-To, or something that you know is going to be long, then I would do it in Word or some other program first, that would give you a way to check it more thoroughly for typos, grammar and such, and still give you something to fall back on should you have problems posting.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I'll look into having it checked by default.
Thanks Z.
Ok Vlad (and everyone else too), when you first visit the forums and are logged out, the "Remember Me" box is now checked by default. Only uncheck it if you'd rather the forums not remember you... and keep in mind, this can cause the forums to lose track of you if you take too long to type in a message.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts