Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what you're thinking: Sinister doesn't like to do it. Untrue. I like to tip waitresses when they do their job and go above and beyond somewhat, even make a half-assed effort, I will tip. I'm not like Steve Buscemi's character, Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs and don't believe in it. But there are times that I'll be damned if I'm slapping down a few extra bucks for someone who didn't earn it, and today was one of those days.

First, I take Omega to a restaurant for his birthday that we frequent from time to time when I go back to the old neighborhood. We had to wait, I know fifteen minutes for a table (they were full, but there were at least four tables where the goddamn hillbillies seeing folks standing at the door waiting, could have gotten up and went and belched and farted somewhere else. We weren't the only ones waiting.) The waitress asks if we wanted to go ahead and order our drinks--okay, what the hell! Another ten minutes pass. A table comes open, it takes a waitress at least another ten minutes to clear it. We order our food, and they didn't bring pickles for the burgers which came with the dish. We wait until we can't afford to wait any longer for them for fear our food would get cold. The waitress shows up and asked, after we were done, did we still want pickles--uh, no, we're finished now. Our glasses were re-filled only once AFTER WE WERE FINISHED EATING! By that time, the restaurant waas only a quarter of the way full. So they could hardly be claimed to be too busy. So we got up and went and paid the check. Do you think I left any extra? Not only no, but HELL NO!

To any of you out there in the profession of waitressing, god love you, you are a godsend, but if you don't do your job, go get another one. You aren't doing anyone any favors in the job you're in. :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
That's how I've always felt about it too. Ask Raxl about his last trip up here and the service we got at the 99 Restaurant when he came to visit me here. Then ask what we left for a tip.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It's his birthday and you get him burgers? What's up with that!

I know what you mean. My great restaurant peeve is when my water glass goes dry. I have to stop dining and wait until I am replenished. I hate that! It's only water - how hard can it be? More than once I've gotten up and went to refill my own glass. That gets their attention!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Zombie-F said:
Ask Raxl about his last trip up here and the service we got at the 99 Restaurant when he came to visit me here. Then ask what we left for a tip.
Raxl, how was the service and what did you leave for a tip?

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Wow. Most restaurants up here don't even give you water unless you ask for it. Same goes for bread, which some places don't even have at all.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was what he wanted, Spaulding! :mad: :D I would have opted for Chinese or some such, but he wanted to visit the place again, so... Remember "The Gator Cafe'?" They have THE BEST Malted's there of any I've ever had. That's what we usually go for.

I have been known to get up in a restaurant when I knew where their waitress station was and fill my glass with tea/Coke when they were too busy talking about what happened on Survivor or their failed dates or whatever they were jabbering about at the moment. Then they get all indignant because YOU do THEIR JOB for THEM. If you don't like what I just did, THEN FILL MY GLASS PLEASE! Don't make me get a manager (I've done that a time or two as well.)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The last few times we have gone to a restaurant, I swear I have gotten the wait staff from hell .. we ordered our drinks and 20 minutes later I had to go FIND the waitress and ask her how our drinks were coming along .. that to me brings chance of tip down to almost nothing .. they weren't even busy or anything .. she was just off bull****ting with her friends :( grrr

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is how I do the whole tipping thing: When my glass is empty, I sit it on the edge of the table where the waitress can visibly see that the thing is empty. IF they fill it like it should be or more, I'll go over the 15%. Ten percent, if it sits there a certain length of time and I get only one or two refills. If it sits there and I'm forgotten--Then you are forgotten, Miss Thanks-For-Crappy-Service. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thats what I don't understand. If I go to a restaraunt and get good service, great. But thats what they're getting paid to do! The restaurant shouldn't rely on us to spend extra money on their waitstaff. Now, if they do a good job, I think you should tip them. But people shouldn't feel obligated to tip for mediocre or worse service.

What other places do you tip? Being a gas pumper, I do get tips, though less and less as the gas prices increase. Some people will tip me on good service (we wash windshields, check oil, try to be friendly), but some people are planning on tipping me anyway. Like some people will complain about me taking a while (sometimes when the credit card machine is broken), but still will end up tipping me. Wierd, but I'm not complaining...

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've spent a lot of years working as a waitress and for the most part I loved it. I really enjoyed meeting new people and would go all out being friendly and doing my best to take care of everyone the way I would want to be treated if I were the customer. I think a lot of the poor service comes from those that hate the job and are only there to make a few bucks and don't give a hoot whether their customer comes back or not. Those are the ones that should find another job. They're not doing the customers (or the other waitresses) any favors by being there. I think everyone should tip according to the service they were given...crappy service = no tip!
My pet peeve about restaurants...mandatory tip sharing between the waitresses. It is so unfair to have to share your tips with a waitress who doesn't care enough to do a good job. :mad:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
"The Gator Cafe" ? We used to have one here in Gainesville. Probably owned by different people but they made the BEST cheeseburgers I have ever had! The went out of business though. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
I usually go 15 to 20% most times...Depends on the place and the service...

There have been a few times I wouldn't bother because the service was so bad...Doesn't happen much though...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ok.. Here is my spew on tipping.

The server ALWAYS starts out at 15%. Depending on thier courtesy to me and the attentiveness I receive their tip could go up to as much as 30-40%. The lowest would be like 5-10%. I can't just not tip because that's these people's paychecks!

Let's face it, we all have ****ty days. Most of us work for an hourly wage and when we go to work and only give 10% they don't dock us a days pay. We still get $5.15 (or whatever minimum wage is)+ an hour. If you are served by someone and they give you ****ty service one night it may not be the same the next time you patron the place.

Servers do get a paycheck. It's usually for $2.15 an hour and taxes come out of that including insurance and other necessities. Not only that but most of the time the tips they do make they have to claim those, too! Which means they could be paying more taxes than most people who make $15 an hour!

And you had to serve a bunch of asses like all of us, I would be a slack ass everyday, too! LOL

I don't know... Call me a bleedin heart or whatever but I would NEVER not leave a tip.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pete said:
I belive in tipping well, too.

Unless I'm at the Waffle House. :mad:
Whut? Dem wimmen wiff three teef ain't worth a lil' extree? Sum of dem be sweet thangs! :D

Inattentive waitresses are just a bad impression on those ladies who really bust their asses to make ends meet. The latter deserve what they recieve, but as for those others--I am not moved by the opinion that they deserve something, except maybe they need to be taken to the back office and have a "pep talk."

Whoever thought it would be cool to screw waitresses out of at least minimum wage need to be dragged out into the street and publicly caned. And it doubly sucks that waitresses in some restaurants have to divvy up their earnings with a bunch of ditzes who don't deserve a dime of it.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bump time again, guys. So far here in Colorado, I haven't run into the problems I did in Florida with this practice. What are some of you new folks take on this?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Up here in Canada, the minimum wage is less here for wait staff as well. I went back to school a couple of years ago and Tried my hand at Watitressing. The min wage was 6:15 per hour (compared to 8.00 per hour for other jobs) I ended up making 16.00 per hour per shift, cuz Im that good. I SCREWED up A LOT too. Im not all that organized. I would smile and APOLOGIZE - theres the operative word. I would never snub anyone, whether it be my fault or not....I told you that to tell you this... loll

Some people just dont tip. No matter what kind of service you give. They will vocally say its because of the service they have a scale, but sorry... some people just dont tip. While others (usually those who have been in the restaurant sector at some point ) tip really well. Those people in between just need to be treated with common curtosy and you will get your just desserts. I will tip a minimum of 5.00 and it goes up depending on the service. That is just because I think that in Canada 11.00 per hour is a decent (still small) wage for a server.....

I have worked many many jobs. .... retail, factory, cleaning. ... And waitressing is BY FAR the most difficult job I have ever held down. Retail is clean, but about the same effort. Factory is more effort but you can be brain dead some days if you felt like it (except for health and safety but I know that doesnt come into play here) Cleaning for people is just gross. but waitressing has it all.

I would go back for the money , but it is definatly the hardest, worst job i ever had and I went in every day with bells on...

So theres my 2 cents - or 2 bucks, whatever. :)

PS: IF you cant afford to go out and eat AND leave a tip - then stay at home to eat.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I make my money on tips. Here is a plan to guarantee good service. Right when you set down, order your drinks, slip the waitress a couple of dollars right off the bat. Then just look at her and say, 'this is for taking care of my friends/family/partners/whatever, do a good job, and more will follow'

You will be the talk of the kitchen, and I Guar an teee your glass will not go empty the entire night.

Those are my two cents .

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
I think I've not tipped at a restaurant maybe twice in my lifetime. I'll tip even when my order is messed up. I'm pretty easy going about things and I understand when there's a rush.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
In highschool I had a part time job delivering pizza's. I always rememberd who tipped and who didn't, those who tipped got their food warm and untouched, those who didn't, well.... , I always tip well. :D.
When my wife and I go out... like tonight, the check was $20.00, I tipped $5.00. I'm usually in the ball park for 20-25 percent, I will sometimes go higher when the service is great. Example... My wife and I went out for breakfast ground zero during a Notre Dame home game weekend, the place was PACKED! I asked for a side of peanut butter for my pancakes ( yes Peanut buter ) the waitress said that the place did not have peanut butter then she smiled and said "I like peanut butter on my pancakes too, and I have a jar I brought from home, I'll give you some of mine"... I got my peanut butter for my pancakes and she got a $10.00 tip. Don't get me wrong I have left the table tip free before as well, but it is very rare that I have service that bad and if it's that bad I will never go back to the place. ie. Carrabba's Italian grill can kiss my ass.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts