Haunt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here is the situation. I've been handed the task of setting up a "Haunted House" for an elementary school carnival. Great, right? Well, there are a lot of stigmas attached to this.

I'll have a huge space to fill - what's known as a quad - four linked classrooms.
I won't have access to the rooms until Friday after school and the Haunt is Saturday morning (Oct 27th).
The classrooms are in use and have teacher/student material up that must remain in place. (I can't strip the room).
I've already asked, and there are no dividers or false walls available.
No weapons of any kind - school policy.
Can't be too scarey. (Does anyone have a "Scarey meter"?)
Virtually no budget. The school itself cannot give money, but the Booster club can. However, I know they don't have much money.

I'm looking for all and any suggestions on how to pull this off.

Some of my ideas include: Making each room a theme - Since I won't be able to wall up a huge maze throughout the four rooms.
Making use of tarps and drop cloths for some walls and covering up existing bulletin boards.
Having hands-on stations (Witch theme with jars of eyeballs (olives), worms (spaghetti), etc.)
Spider Lair - gotta be one of the cheapest/easiest effects out there.
Maybe even getting a jumper/bouncer in a room for a Space/Alien theme.
Perhaps a "Lights On" session for the little ones, though since the Haunt will be run during the day, it'll be hard to black out these rooms to begin with.

Please Respond - I know it's long, but I need the HELP!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
If budget is a concern, then most animated props are out. You are going to need a TON of help. Using scareactors as opposed to motor driven props.

People love animated stuff, and this one requires no motor, but an actor to move it.

http://www.corpsecounty.com/Yorick.htm

It was authored by our very own Sickie Ickie.

More ideas to come, just get a lot of people involved. With the scaring as well as the set up.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Crap! Doesn't leave much time does it? I agree with Slimy. You're gonna need a lot of warm bodies to pull this off.
Maybe (1) room where the kids can make/decorate their "goody bags". I buy plain white bags in bulk, then get some of those peel and stick foamies in Halloween designs along with letters so they can put their names on them. Then they can travel to the other rooms to do whatever/play a game and pick out a treat. Maybe get some buckets (pales. painted orange with pumpkin face painted on them) set up in a line and they toss a plastic pumpkin in them.
Since this is grade school, the kids will interact and enjoy little games that they can receive a treat for participating in rather than too emphasis on the atmosphere with little to do. Just my 2-cents. Hope it goes well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.