Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like everyone's opinion on something. While I was trying to come up with names for my tombstones, in typical adolescent humor, I have come up with names such as Craven Moorehead, Ivana Naelya, Haywood Jablome, Ben Dover, etc. Now, I know that I didn't make these up and they are old as dirt, but do you think that they are inappropriate for my yard display?
My wife says I may offend someone, which I'd rather not do.
My opinion is that the kids are not reading the stones, they're taking everything in at once, the teens would laugh their [email protected]#$$ off and the parents would smile. My 22 year old daughter didn't even get most of them.

Anyway, let me know and I apologize if I offended anyone here.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Why you little!!! (just kidding!) :D

I'd say that it would depend on the crowd that you're catering too.

If it's a neighborhood haunt, then it's probably not very appropriate.

You might get a young TOT'er asking mommy or daddy who's Craven Moorehead? ;)

EDIT: Just thought about it... you may be able to throw a couple of those in there
as long as they're towards the back where the adults could read them over the ones
in front. :D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I was thinking the same as Moon Dog. I do not do a public haunt, so I only have to worry about offending my family and friends, but the cemetery is out front for anyone to look at, which of course is what I like. However, to be taken seriously about the display, those may not be appropriate. (say if a local paper or something came by to give "cuddos" to you and your display.) But if that's not the case, go for it. For our party, the front/side yard are decorated and then also around to the back yard where the bonfire is, if yours is something like that, maybe put a few of the questionable stones in a smaller display away from the main cemetery??? Just some thoughts. But heck, do what you feel is ok. I'm making headstones with my family and friends names on them and I know some find it offensive and others don't. We are just a bunch of sickies aren't we?????????? Hehehehehehehehehe

·
In Remembrance
7,531 Posts
Since my stones are to be viewed from a distance I leave mine blank and I try to work on the shape of the stones instead. I have seen stones with the stuff you mentioned and other sillier stuff, and I think it detracts from the feeling I want to create, that of an old creepy graveyard.
If the general public may see it I would tend to error on the side of caution just in case. If it was a private haunt then it's up to you.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Our neighborhood kids do read ours - don't fool yourself. Do what I do - you want the adults to enjoy your haunted yard? Sit outside with a cooler of beer. I give away a couple cases - one beer at a time to appreciative parents without trying humor that everyone may not appreciate.

Course - the east coast may appreciate that sort of thing - so it might be better to get more regional opinions.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, someone else in the neighborhood has a few similar stones and I lmao, soooooooooo, me being the extremist that I am....guess I got carried away. Keep the opinions coming, Still not sure what I'm going to do....hate to make all new stones, maybe I'll keep these to the back.

·
Hairy Scary
2,582 Posts
It took me a while to figure out the "Haywood" one,but then I'm kinda slow.
If you really feel weird about it ,put them in back and drape some moss over them to hide the offending parts.Dont light them too well and go on to other projects.If anyone asks, play dumb.Always works for me....

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I would be concerned too. I actually had people offended at the Anna Rexic tombstone I had built. The kids do read them, I personally would avoid that kind of stuff, but hey, its up to you, you know your neighborhood better than I do.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
In your first post, you mentioned that you would rather not offend those coming to see your haunt. Even though the names are older than dirt,make no mistake about it they are offensive. If you don't care about offending people, then by all means use them. Since you were worried about offending in your first post, it may be time to reconsider.

By the way, you got Ben Dover, but you forgot Phil McCrackin.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm gonna be a little more specific - I think you can get away with Ivana Naelya, Ben Dover. The Craven Moorehead, Haywood Jablome, you could have some parents get upset over. That is only a guess though as I do not have kids. If they do complain then I would have each tombstone feature the birth and projected death date of the neighbor. :) Phil McCrackin's good also!
:zombie:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I still don't get Ivana Naelay????? Man I must lead a sheltered life......

·
Registered
168 Posts
For a yard haunt I keep it simple and PG rating. You simply can not go wrong.
lots of goofy things to put out there.
Like "Gone underground for good" or "hallo-scream" "We'll be back" "Space for Rent"
or just put things like Griffin Smith 1801-2001 (kids love to figure out fast math even on Halloween--I've seen it too many times!~)

·
Registered
338 Posts
How bout these...

Hugh Jardon
I.P. Freely
Drew Peacock
Eric Shinn
Hugh Jass

I have the mentality of a 5 year old, but most 5 year olds can't read really well...so Im gonna say...go for it, use um all.

If you want some less "abrasive" names, how bout these..

Barbara Seville
Armand Hammer
Candace Spencer
Crystal Claire Waters
Dr. E. Ville
I.D. Clair
Keelan Early
M. Balmer

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, Ok, the WIFE wins again, I just want to win one time! LOL
Shakes- forgot about good ole Phil McCracken, good call!
Meltdown- I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of these.

What I'll probably do is just paint them grey, not hilite the lettering, and keep them towards the back. Now I gotta whip up a few more for up front. Thank God I didn't make them real elaborate like some here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the compliment but I must give credit where credit is due. It was Slimy who came up with Phil McCrackin. I was just complimenting Slimy in my post!
:zombie:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would definitely avoid any sexual references at all. Trust me when I say that I'm no prude by any means but you must keep in mind that you're entertaining little ToT'ers as well as teen's and adults.

I suggest using clever names that people enjoy sounding/figuring out like 'Myra Maines' and 'Diane Rott'.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I am alittle late for this however, we have a couple of these type of names and the best part is most of the kids have trouble figuring it out.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.