Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
68,161 Posts
We had about 85 ToTs and another couple dozen or so folks who stopped by just to visit, look at the display, and chat. We also had 7 dogs who got Milk Bones as their treat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, someone had to get this thread started. I'm up to 11 so far, (and the last one was the Grim Reaper with glowing red eyes!) so that is the total of the past two years plus several more for good measure!
I was surprised that I got fourteen! They were mostly teens, but I don't care about that.
The first four just came up and stood there with their plastic shopping bags held out. No masks. No make-up. Nothing. They didn't even say the words.
Now, I got flamed a few years ago for sending kids away if they didn't have some form of a costume or something, so I just gave them the candy and told them to be safe and have fun.
Overall, there were a few last second masks from the dollar store, and one cute little minion.
Next year, I will post a sign with The Rules. They are as follows:

Halloween is very special to me. If you come to my door on this night, you must observe the following customs:

1. You must be wear a costume, mask or makeup.

2. You must say the words: Trick or Treat!

3. Be Safe and Have Fun!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Twelve kids. I did around eighty the year before. I did take note that there were twenty different trunk or treats prior to Halloween. Folks are not doing the traditional door-to-door anymore. My neighbors who did hand out candy said it was just sad the lack of kids. I know the local home haunts with walk-throughs did fine. That is a whole different demographic. So for me, if I want to continue to offer scares and expect an audience I will have to change from display to walk-through.
Flash photography Gesture Font Movie Poster

·
Registered
317 Posts
3 :(

In the eight years living here the count gets smaller each year despite my displays getting more elaborate. 😭
I too have seen precipitous declines every year, sadly. I won't complain though because I'm still getting a fairly large number. My neighborhood is one of those where parents come from other neighborhoods to let their kids ToT because we don't have anywhere close to the number of kids in the neighborhood that I get on O31.
I was surprised that I got fourteen! They were mostly teens, but I don't care about that.
The first four just came up and stood there with their plastic shopping bags held out. No masks. No make-up. Nothing. They didn't even say the words.
Now, I got flamed a few years ago for sending kids away if they didn't have some form of a costume or something, so I just gave them the candy and told them to be safe and have fun.
Overall, there were a few last second masks from the dollar store, and one cute little minion.
Next year, I will post a sign with The Rules. They are as follows:

Halloween is very special to me. If you come to my door on this night, you must observe the following customs:

1. You must be wear a costume, mask or makeup.

2. You must say the words: Trick or Treat!

3. Be Safe and Have Fun!
Just food for thought, my friend... be careful of the sign and demands, especially since you get teens. Remember, it's TRICK or treat, and when you turn away a group of teenagers with no costume and pillow cases, you're begging to be vandalized. It's like that saying goes... don't poke the bear. I get that they're just kids, but the whole reason ToTing started was to try to distract teens from causing destruction. I just fear that if you put a sign out there, at a minimum the sign will be a target, and teens might possibly try to get their worth out of your display. Maybe not, but I wouldn't tempt troublemakers to do something they might not otherwise do.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Twelve kids. I did around eighty the year before. I did take note that there were twenty different trunk or treats prior to Halloween. Folks are not doing the traditional door-to-door anymore. My neighbors who did hand out candy said it was just sad the lack of kids. I know the local home haunts with walk-throughs did fine. That is a whole different demographic. So for me, if I want to continue to offer scares and expect an audience I will have to change from display to walk-through.
View attachment 22709
This is very true. I don't have a walk-thru, but I saw at least a quarter of my ToTers drive up to the house, get out, come to the door then walk around after, and then get in the car and leave.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Halloween is just catching on around these parts and of course in some areas it's more popular than in others. I was too busy to really count but we must have had at least 150 kids show up at our door this year (probably about the same as last year) and quite a few parents too since many of the kids were under 8 years old and many of them much younger so hopefully we'll be good for the next few years at least. Some of the things I put out are 100% aimed at the parents in fact, hopefully that will keep them interested to come along even as their kids grow up and get old enough to go out by themselves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think we had about 50 or 60 based on the candy we handed out. A far cry from the hundred plus we had a few years ago.
All this in spite of the fact that I live directly across from the elementary school and walking distance to the HS on the same street!
I will say that I started late this year and didn't have anything up until about a week prior.
Maybe next year word will get around that my house is built to scare!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Didn't really count but would say 30ish had a few bags left wife made up and she did about 48 of them. Down by about half from last year but with the rain and mist was nasty out. I'm also out away from town in a small rural sub where most houses are a half to 3/4 acres and some more depending where they are like mine as I'm at the end and a cul de sac in the woods, and not that close to the road.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Almost 100. Had four or five goodie bags left from the 100 I made. The Mad Lab went over very well! I have "Regulars" who make it a point to come see me every year. I really appreciate that, and it makes me want to do more! (just don't tell the missus ... she keeps hoping each year is the last.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
330. My wife is very meticulous in handing out 2 pieces of candy to everyone, then subtracts from the bag count. We hold the haunt at my sister-in-laws house, downtown, in a quaint New England town. There was a line for 2 hours. Almost all the kids were in costume.

On a side rant, the oversized costumes should be outlawed. Someone came through in one of those ridiculous blow up dinosaur costumes and reeked havoc throughout our displays and knocked down walls. Next year we need to say, “no.”

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
68! I remembered quite a few toters from the past two covid years, surprised me. In the past I've had anywhere from 15 to 60 TOTs. 60 being back in 2009 or so. Very excited! This year I kept an exact count of the candy bags I made (in past years I forgot and just kind of guessed). I made 50 Halloween goodie bags stuffed full and had 12 bags of unopened candy in reserve but was really thinking to myself: "I bought way to much, what a waste of money! I have just lost my mind". At 7:30 PM, I happily yelled to my brother (who was not involved and not feeling well) "I'm out of candy!!". He replied, shocked, because he saw how much I purchased and rolled his eyes a lot, "you're kidding!". LOL, I clarified I meant the bags not all the candy but still amazing!!! I made up 30 more goodie bags and then nothing.

I gave it up and started watching a horror movie and then at 8:02 older kids started coming by. My last two toters were at 9:15 PM (at that point I did give a few double bags but I still have unopened bags of candy). Very excited, great year! 🎃🎃🎃🎃

1 - 20 of 35 Posts