Haunt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large fan, and an idea... I want to sew a large "ghost" to go over it and tower over my yard, attracting people from down the street... maybe even lit from inside.

Anyone ever seen anything like this on a website? It would resemble those arm waving advertising things you see on corners sometimes.

·
Registered
820 Posts
if you mean like those overly tall people made of nylon that they have, a regular house fan, even a big one wouldnt be able to lift that kind of weight and create a long enough air tunnel....you mean like a tall beacon right? i suppose if you used the clear plastic sheeting, it would be lightweight and still make a nice ghost with a light inside

·
Registered
496 Posts
I htink it's a great idea. I was comtemplating running a series of connected PVC behind my tombstones and making "pop up" ghosts powered by a compressor. I wasnt sure about what material to use and kinda got stuck when it came to a trigger device. It would be a really cool way to randomly scare the heck out of the TOT's (or anyone else walking by).

I say go for it. Nylon isnt that expensive at sewing stores and I'm sure a leaf blower would be strong enough to power it (maybe a little loud though).

·
Registered
820 Posts
hey again, not tryin to make waves, but a leaf blower.........is strong enough to blow leaves and not much else. you would need id think 10 for a ghost to truly 'tower' over your yard

·
Registered
167 Posts
We have a 45' tall Sky Walker ghost. His arms are about 15' wide, and the entire sock is made out of rip stop parachute nylon. Even though he's rather large, the material itself is not very heavy at all. But the most important thing about the fan is the volume of air it produces. Ours uses this fan:
http://b-air.com/vortex-blowers.htm?gclid=COSH5amF94YCFQMZIgodbnWpZg
but I'm pretty sure that if you had a friend in the fire department, you could easily power one with a smoke-evac fan if they would happen to have an old one laying about.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Ironman... I have a pretty powerful fan. I'm going to get some lightweight windsock material to see how far the air will throw... I don't need 45 feet high just about 20-25 feet, like roofline level.

If I find some kind of pattern for this I'll pass it on here... was just curious whether anyone had attempted something similar.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also I was thinking, that one feature of this would be to test how far the lightwieght material can be blown by my large fan, (it really is quite a powerful fan) and make it just a little longer than the column of air can fully support. The idea being that it will expand, begin to fall, then catch it again, making the arms and body duck and weave, like movement... it will be interesting to see if my idea works.

Ironan, what is the SkyWalker ghost? Is this something I can buy or build?

·
Registered
820 Posts
cranky, is it a household fan? cuz if it was, and it was powerful enough, when you turned it on all the papers in the room would go flying everywhere

or is it like one of those blowers? i really think you would need what ironmans talkin bout

·
Registered
820 Posts
you can try some tests, but i dont think youll get anything big to work. nothing like the advertisement ones.

it may be lightweight, but think of the air pressure you would need to push that thing upwards, you will need to fill it up(normal pressure), then have to have enough extra air to increase the pressure inside to hold it up. i think you need what ironman said.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did a test today with the fan and a nylon flag... it moved the flag at a distance of at least fifteen feet no problem.

I purchased a lighter material and some sticky ironing stuff to make seams and I plan on starting on a 15 ft ghost ver soon!

·
Registered
160 Posts
wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man!!!

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdmZ-2WN1wE&mode=related&search=[/nomedia]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts