Haunt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I try to transmit the configuration to the controller, instead of "Ready", I get a message: "Trigger detected on startup; going cold for 30s." Anyone know what this means and how to fix?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It might help to know what controller you have, and pics of the set-up help, too.

As a WAG - it sounds like the controller is seeing a trigger the moment it is started and going into some sort of safety mode. Some possibilities I can think of:

Does the controller need to be in any sort of 'upload' or 'program' mode to receive the configuration?
Do you need to (or can you) unhook all sensor inputs to upload a config?
Is it possible a sensor is misconfigured (ie sensor is holding the line high and trigger when low, but config is set to look for a high trigger?)
Possible some trigger line is shorted to ground (or power) and holding the line in one continuous state?
Possible the trigger itself is internally defective and holding the line in a triggered state?

If you can give us info on the controller, it's likely there might be an expert on that specific one lurking around somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding - crazy week. Anyway...

Here are the pictures of my setup. I'm trying to use the motion detector to trigger some LED lights.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Resistor Microcontroller

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component Computer hardware

Passive circuit component Circuit component Blue Light Hardware programmer

I first tried to do through Arduino software because I have some familiarity with coding - though not the particular language used - and it seemed pretty straightforward. Here's a clip of the code. This is slightly different from what I started with - tried bunches of different things found online - but the basic pin definitions and loop are the same.

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Rectangle

The LED light remains on and doesn't respond to input. Interestingly, when I switch the digital write LOW and HIGH, the LED light remains off and doesn't respond to input - so it seems like it's reading the code on some level.

I switched over to trying the octobanger, because that seemed even more simple, but then I got that trigger detected error.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Not sure if I'm seeing things or not, but in the top pic, it looks like your PIR is plugged into pin 1, but you call out pin 2 in the sketch. The pins are numbered 0, 1, 2, 3, 4... so "pin 2" is actually the third one. Pin 0 and 1 are involved in serial communication and uploading sketches, so it's a good idea to leave those open unless very special conditions. So move the wire, don't change the software pin assignment.

You also make a call for the serial port, but don't actually use it. This shouldn't cause issues, but the whole "serial.begin(9600)" statement isn't needed.

On the octobanger...not sure... do you still get the error even if the PIR is unplugged when starting? I had one of those go bad last year... seemed like it got stuck in an 'always triggered' state.

Anyway, double check those pins and let us know!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh. My. Gosh. I really need to wear my reading glasses when working with these things. That was exactly the problem. I have it working and am now working out the flashing (like a lightening effect). Thank you so much!! Happy haunting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts