Haunt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start a thread about real dungeon doors, by which I mean studded doors, or old-looking kind of doors, the likes of this or this or even this. Anybody made one, or bought one, or got some? Got tips, pointers, or links?

Or also maybe about good fakes, or ways to improve ordinary doors like tweaking the knockers or adding ornamental knobs. I was impressed with what looked like a basic but nice-looking portcullis in a recent thread.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I work at a renniasance festival as well as my haunt. I have done alot of "aged" wood work
In the past. Are you looking for techniques, or sources of materials (studs, hinges)?
There are lots of ways to get the look, adding studs and custom hinges gets you most of the way there.
These guys are awesome and are better priced tyhan having a blacksmith make something (and If you dont work at a ren faire then you may not know several black smiths)
http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s...||4068099819&gclid=COfIrI3Tu6ACFRGfnAod13pRUw

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Allen H. I just want to know what things people have tried, what real doors cost to make, just anything on the subject.

Re: the link: A hinge rated for 90lb door: $20. For 300lb door: $200. That second hinge ought to hold up a 900lb door! :)

·
Pumpkin Hill Gravekeeper
1,536 Posts
I made a door like your 1st picture, of course it looked a lot newer. It was just wood, with those Gothic looking hinges and hardware. I got the studs online somewhere.The door was simple to make, and ran about 100 dollars for the materials, including hardware. That was just the door. I didn't make the archway, and I have no idea how much that ran to make. I am not much of a mason. It was for a friends garden wall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts