Haunt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The invention of the Try-Me button on Halloween props is a tremendous benefit given by manufactures un-intentionally to the home haunter. Since Try-Me buttons are external buttons connected to a hidden plug that is meant to be removed by the end user, they leave us a nice little wire that can be snipped right before the button giving us a pair of conductors that can be connected to a relay or other device to trigger the prop. But what if your Try-Me button is missing, lost, etc.? Since they don't sell replacement Try-Me buttons, all you have on many props is a small connector that is not really usable without the right mating jack. A few of my props faced this dilemma, and rather than taking them apart to solder a wire to the Try-Me terminals, I decided to track down the appropriate connectors.

For props that do not have a standard 1/8" mono jack connection, the vast majority use what are known as JST (Japan Solderless Terminal) connectors. You can read all about them here if you want:

In surveying my props with JST connectors, I determined that there were two different sizes being used:

1. JST PH - 2.0mm pitch between pins (mini-micro)
2. JST XH - 2.5mm pitch between pins

If you search for 'JST PH' or 'JST XH' on ebay, you should be able to find many available for sale. I got some for around $1.50 each with free shipping:

Wood Electrical wiring Adapter Cable Networking cables

JST-PH:
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Technology Electronic device

JST-XH:
Font Electronic device Technology Cable Adapter

·
Super Moderator
64,290 Posts
Thanks for posting this, exa - very useful information.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks for all the footwork.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is great! I am sure there are numerous haunters out there that have been wishing for this information to come along. Nice job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts