Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have PCB's available for sale to aid in building the 4 channel prop controller discussed in this thread. This sale is for the circuit boards only you will need to buy the parts to build this controller. here is the list of parts needed to complete this build.
Code:
Parts sourced from Taydaelectronics.com

SKU#     Product Name                            Price    Qty    Subtotal     
A-669    DG301 Screw Terminal Block 3 Positions 5mm            $0.15     4     $0.60    
A-668    DG301 Screw Terminal Block 2 Positions 5mm            $0.10     1      $0.10    
A-5014    Mini Relay SPDT 5 Pins 12VDC 10A 120V Contact            $0.64     4      $2.56    
A-5015    Fuse Holder with Cover 5x20mm M205 PCB 15A            $0.16     4     $0.64
A-357    Fuse Glass Time Delay 10A 5x20                    $0.20     4     $0.80    
A-261    LED 3mm Red                            $0.02     4     $0.08    
A-263    LED 3mm Yellow                            $0.02     1     $0.02    
A-2123    1K OHM 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistor                $0.01    10     $0.10    
A-2067    330 OHM 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistor                $0.01    10     $0.10    
A-2115    10K OHM 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistor                $0.01    10     $0.10    
A-067    ULN2803A ULN2803 2803 TRANSISTOR ARRAY-8 NPN IC            $0.37     1      $0.37    
A-002    18 pin DIP IC Socket Adaptor Solder Type            $0.06     1     $0.06    
A-004    14 pin DIP IC Socket Adaptor Solder Type            $0.05     1     $0.05    
A-214    0.1uF 50V Multilayer Ceramic Capacitor                $0.06     1     $0.06
A-289    PIC16F688 8 bit Microcontroller IC                $1.90     1     $1.90        
A-4533    470uF 35V 105C Radial Electrolytic Capacitor 10x15mm        $0.09     2     $0.18
A-5129    Tact Switch 6*6mm 7mm Through Hole SPST-NO            $0.04     5     $0.20    
A-179    LM7805 L7805 7805 Voltage Regulator IC 5V 1.5A            $0.18     1     $0.18    
A-196    40 Pin 2.54 mm Single Row Female Pin Header             $0.24     1     $0.24    
A-197    40 Pin 2.54 mm Single Row Pin Header Strip            $0.15     1     $0.15    
A-853    3.5mm Stereo Enclosed Socket Chassis Jack            $0.12     1     $0.12

Total                                             $8.99

Optional MP3 player module sourced from mdfly.com

SD Card MP3 Player Module RS232-TTL Model: MOL-AU5121                                     $9.95

The price include shipping to the Continental US. Price is $10.50 for 1 PCB and $9.00 for each additional PCB. To place your order contact me via PM here or send an Email to [email protected]

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The BOM in post 1 of this thread is incomplete. I left off 1 part you will also need Tayda part #A-853(3.5mm Stereo Enclosed Socket Chassis Jack). I have tried to edit the BOM but posts in this section of the forum can't be changed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You adverse to making a couple for a fellow hoosier?

RandalB
When I started this project it was going to be a very DIY solution with home etch PCBs and all. Later demand was there to have a production run on PCBs and offer flashed PICs. Now I have been asked a few times about offering complete controllers. I'm not saying I'm ready to offer completely built units at this time but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

What part of Indiana are you from? If you're close to me perhaps you could come to my place and I'll help you get one together.

Tyler

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cedar Lake,
Not that far but not next door either.
I actually didn't see that you were thinking of offering flashed PIC's, that was my only concern about the whole thing. I can handle PCB assembly and soldering with no issues.
So, I am interested in 2x with the flashed PIC's. I'll take this to PM and we can go from there.

Regards,
RandalB

·
Registered
63 Posts
Really great deal on boards and PICs. I was considering buying the necessary things I would need to flash them (about $75-$100). But for the little amount he's asking over cost of the chip for a flashed version, I think I will hold off on buying the extra hardware until I really get into full swing. Great deal. I still will probably pick up some basic PCB kits from radio shack to get my soldering down before I attempt one of his boards. I could stand messing up a goofy FM radio, but would be sad to do the same to a sweet prop controller. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh, and for reference, the last prop controller I bought with mp3 capability was a two channel with a price of $129+ shipping. I'd have to look, but I'm not even sure it has inline fuses to the relays. This is going to be a substantial savings for me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry if I missed this info somewhere, but is there a price listing for flashed PIC's ?
PICs are $3.00 each plus $1.50 per order for PayPal and shipping fees anywhere in the continental US. If you are also buying the PCB from me you can skip the $1.50 fee

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Whenever I use those mdfly mp3 boards, I install at 20 pin SIP socket onto my control board and put a 20-pin right angle header on the mp3 board so you can remove the mp3 from the controller if need be.

Nice work! I'll have to pick one up, build it, and take it for a test spin. I'm happy to see the HauntForum logo made it on there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The issue with putting a 90 degree header on this board layout is that if you lay the MP3 module down it would cover the buttons so you could not reach them with your fingers. If you lay it the other way it would put the SD card on the bottom side making it even more difficult to remove. What I do is a trick that I learned from user Halstaff. Put a small piece of making tape on the SD card and let it extend about an inch off the card then fold it back over itself and stick it to the other side of the card. This makes a nice tag to grab hold of and easily remove the SD card from the MP3 module.

I like The MP3 module standing up because it can serve as a guard making it more difficult to accidentally get you fingers into the relay outputs that could potentially have high voltage depending on what you have connected to them. Anytime you are working with line voltage there is an inherent risk of shock but I belive in trying to minimize that risk when possible so I suggest that if you have a choice in your prop you use low voltage on channels 1 and 2 and keep the high voltage on 3 and 4 where its harder to touch while pressing in the sequence.

I am very pleased with the way the hauntforum logo appears on the board. The only thing I wanted to do different with the logo was to have the board produced in purple to really make it stand out. But when the quotes came in the cost of a purple board over the standard green was more than I wanted to spend. I chose to keep the board as low cost as I could and pass the savings on to fellow haunters.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Bought mine, built mine, tested mine its just a great control board, way to go Tyler! And thank you!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
FWIW, scubaspook posted a video of the boards in use on his YouTube channel (go and subscribe!). I just bought a bunch of these that we're going to build at a local make & take and now after watching this video I'm more excited than ever about doing this.

I didn't realize that in addition to all the prop controlling we can do, it can play ambient background sounds as well that can then play the individual props sounds too. This is an awesome design and you can't beat the price!

Rich

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
tstraub,

I'm really a newb at this kind of electronic stuff so I'm going to be relying upon your set of instructions and niblique71's general genius to build these. However, I eventually plan on building a control panel, a central hub where I plug all my props and lights into and can control their actions from there.

I haven't opened the package yet I received for fear of damaging them until we build them at the M&T. Does the board come with a way to mount them so I'll be able to install them in my control panel (told you I was a newb!)?

Rich

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rich The PCB has 4 holes 1 in each corner to be used for mounting the controller. The holes are sized to accept a #6-32 or similar machine screw. The spacing is not setup for any specific enclosure. You will just have to build some sort of standoffs into your control panel and screw the PCB down.

Tyler

·
Registered
309 Posts
So do you have the 2 channel boards ready as well as the 4 channel? I'm thinking I would like to get both but would rather start with the 2 channel to get my PCB building feet wet.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 2 channel without audio controller is currently available for home etch only. The demand just did not seem to be there to have the PCBs manufactured. When we ran the numbers the cost difference between the 2 channel board and building a 4 channel board and simply not populating the MP3 player was only a few dollars so it was not worth the risk in ordering a bunch of PCBs that would likely sit on the shelf here. We are selling stuff at a very low profit margin as as service to fellow haunters. unfortunately the risk to reward ratio did not make the cut.

Tyler

1 - 20 of 113 Posts