Haunt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building my first Axworthy, or starting to.. nothing like leaving it to the last minutes.

Had intended bike wheels for pulleys, then I saw a video where someone used boat v-rollers, which made setting up look easier and less likely to drop the line in use. But I do not have any boat v-pulleys, and I'm loath to buy parts, so I have made something similar from a wooden table leg, 'turned' with a drill press and surform. Just one at the moment but quick enough to knock out another 2 or 3 this evening.

I plan on adding 15mm copper or PVC plumbing pipe down the 16mm bored hole and an M8 threaded rod inside that. A bit of grease and washers and locknuts on the M8 to hold it all together as a roller.

Interested in the views of anyone with Axworthy experience. Or roller making experience. Any reasons this will not work. Of course this is not as smooth as a pulley with bearings, but will it be free enough? I might varnish the block to prevent it swelling in the rain, but then less friction for the line to turn the roller.

My other though was to remove all the spokes from the bike wheel and just use the hub, which is very narrow diameter, but does have a sort of flared vee shape. And of course is on bearings. Surprised I have not seen this done before though.

Of course - photos of the finished article to follow next week.
Footwear Shoe Leg Human body Wood
Wood Hat Gas Hardwood Audio equipment

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Seems like that should work. Put a little grease on the shaft / copper tube for good measure and it should last for at least the week until Halloween. I would also say that, within reason, the bigger you keep the center diameter, the slower the pulley will spin which will put less wear/tear on the central bushing.

Looking forward to some additional pics as this progresses!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts