Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guy's! I'm also in the skull race( not actually in competition), trying to come up with a better animated skull for the minimum cash. I noticed Richie mentioned about helicopter parts. The most versital mount I could come up with so far is a helicoter swash plate design. My current R&D is very crud but I figure use the stuff I already have before spending money.
Also have any of you tried using a Realistic Rotting Skull instead of the bucky's. I know on the net they go for about $25 + shipping but I found 8 of them at Halloween USA for $5.95 a peice and cleaned them out. They have a lot more room in the brain cavity and thier a lot lighter, plus I'm experimenting with HDPE to keep the weight down.
I'm using VSA with several differen't board's, whichever one I have out.
Here is some pic's of my current progress.
I'll make a short video of the movement as soon as I get a chance.

http://www.twisteddementia.com/Prop_Pics/swash_style_gimble.jpg
http://www.twisteddementia.com/Prop_Pics/skull_HDPE_mount_plate.jpg
http://www.twisteddementia.com/Prop_Pics/skull_inside_linkage_plate.jpg

·
Registered
521 Posts
I noticed Richie mentioned about helicopter parts. The most versital mount I could come up with so far is a helicoter swash plate design.
Twisted,

You are a great detective and exactly correct as to what I'm going to use. It's actually the cyclic mount for a Bell 206 Longranger helicopter, which is as you described. I got my hands on my setup from a helicopter that had gone down in water, so the parts had to be retired, but are still in new condition. BTW...my flying record is excellent. It wasn't me who wrecked it. Needless to say, these parts need to be cut way down, I'm just showing what they look like unmodified. The underside of the ball joint, which really is just like your gimble setup, I believe are teflon coated and the fluidity of motion is wonderful. There are also parts in the photo that should enable me to make a version much closer to yours should I decide not to cut up assembled part.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi there Twisted,

I realize you still have fine tuning to do to that wonderful creation of yours, but if that is basically the type of movement I can expect from the neck bracket I'm working on, I'm going to be very happy. Fluidity of motion is a must on my project, from the looks of yours, it is for you as well. Great job!

·
Registered
521 Posts
maybe to much?
Hey, I learned years ago to limit compromise, if possible. The most important lessons for me since about 1996 when I started making life size figures was patience and perseverance. Without keeping both of those in proper check, allowing either one of those to get the best of you, it's possible you may never be totally satisfied with your creations. Besides, anyone looking at that video can tell how hard you've been working on it. Keep forging forward!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, It's going to mount above the HDPE plate near the center, reason being I want to insert a rod down into the back of the jaw vertically, that way you don't see any linkage on the out side of the brain cavity. That leaves me a lot of room for the eyes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just when I think I'm getting someplace. Now I have to start all over to keep up with the Hauntforumers!!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts