Haunt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I went through my workshop in a manic fit of organization, and without really thinking about the future ramifications, I got rid of a bunch of scrap pieces of PVC and assorted fittings.

Yeah, I can hear you all facepalming.

Now I have to go buy the stuff all over again.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Well it could be worse. I usually spend several hours searching for some assorted odd or end, only to give up and go buy it... plus a couple of spares.

Then I start thinking to myself... "where would be a good place to store these spares... oh I know just the spot!" So I go there - only to find the original parts and pieces I was looking for in the first place!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saving stuff I might have a use for is the reason why I cannot safely get into my spare bedroom!
That's a double edged sword for me. I have room in my attic and basement to store things, but I also have room in my attic and basement to store things.🤣

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum! Well it could be worse. I usually spend several hours searching for some assorted odd or end, only to give up and go buy it... plus a couple of spares.

Then I start thinking to myself... "where would be a good place to store these spares... oh I know just the spot!" So I go there - only to find the original parts and pieces I was looking for in the first place!
That's part of the family curse passed down from my father. I know for a fact that I bought that thing and I put it down somewhere. It disappears until I get back from another trip to the store and then it appears again.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
lol - I think my family curse is mainly centered on sockets and wrenches. I can have a nearly full set of sockets or wrenches, and the one missing from the group is the exact one I will need. Or I can grab 4 or 5 different size sockets and wrenches and will always need the very next size bigger or smaller. Even if I grab a whole set, I'll need metric when I have standard. Grab both metric and standard, I'll need torx. It never ends!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol - I think my family curse is mainly centered on sockets and wrenches. I can have a nearly full set of sockets or wrenches, and the one missing from the group is the exact one I will need. Or I can grab 4 or 5 different size sockets and wrenches and will always need the very next size bigger or smaller. Even if I grab a whole set, I'll need metric when I have standard. Grab both metric and standard, I'll need torx. It never ends!
I work for a machine shop. I have developed a fairly good eye for sizing up sockets and stuff, but I still end up walking back and forth across the shop looking for my effing tape measure or something 😂

·
Registered
58 Posts
Last year, I went through my workshop in a manic fit of organization, and without really thinking about the future ramifications, I got rid of a bunch of scrap pieces of PVC and assorted fittings.

Yeah, I can hear you all facepalming.

Now I have to go buy the stuff all over again.
This is fantastic. I appreciate you posting this because I now realize I'm not the only pack rat who hangs on to spare pieces of PVC, and wood as well for that matter. I have pieces of PVC in a box of all diameters with lengths that range from a foot down to an inch. Not sure why I hang on to them all. I feel like I'll eventually need them for some project. For scrap wood, I often reuse the scrap pieces of wood on next projects, as spacers... basically everything.
I think there is a portal that stuff disappears into when it knows you are looking for it.
This portal you speak of exists. It's basically where anything I'm looking for goes. After searching for an hour, I speak out loud to my dad who passed over 20 years ago to help me find it, and he usually goes to the portal, grabs what I'm looking for, and sets it down in a very obvious place I should've seen it. I kid you not, it happens to me all the time, most recently when I was fixing a floor jack for my car. Long story but the rubber stopper that plugs the cylinder on the jack bursts out and I search for 90 mins. I ask dad to help me find the frickin' thing and it literally appears from nowhere in the middle of my garage floor on the very spot I walked over a dozen times. Given I was staring at the floor each time I walked past, I couldn't have missed it. Crazy stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Alright... I did it. I'm finally going to use one of the tiniest spare pieces of PVC pipe that I've saved for literally years. Here's the long story for such a small win. Be prepared to be bored if you read on. You've been forewarned. 😁

About 7 years ago when I first started creating physical windows scenes on the first floor, I built some backdrops for the windows. I didn't want the light for the displays in the windows leaking into the room, and I also would rather not have the rest of the house open to view from the street. It also kinda kills the vibe to see the Bride of Frankenstein lit up and then see a TV on in the background with Friends or Raymond on. 🤣

So what I built was two L-shaped PVC frames that basically block out the view of the rest of the room, and draped heavy black opaque cloth from shower curtain rings from the top horizontal bars. I've always hated that the White PVC is somewhat visible although because I made the backdrop over 7 ft tall, most people won't see the piping unless they're up close. I've always wanted to paint them black, but I know from my PVC fence that black paint scrapes off with little effort. and these have cloth draped from metal curtain rings. I didn't want white lines on black pipe.

So anyway, I bought some ebony wood stain to try on the piping. I'm hoping it will soak beyond just the surface so it won't scrape off, but I don't know. Enter the use of scrap pieces of PVC so I don't ruin the PVC pipes for the framing. 😁

1 - 12 of 12 Posts