Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a project I have going on that will be for a Harry Potter Book release party in July. The animal is from 'The Order of the Pheonix', and is called a Thestral. Basically, it is a undead-looking horse with huge leathery wings. I thought it would be fun to make, and will be a nice addition to my own haunt in october.;)
I am in the framework stage right now, and have just done a rough carve-out of the head.

·
Registered
458 Posts
damn dave - your on a roll! one awesome prop after another - what do you ACTUALLY do for a living - you know - that thing that you make ur money from? must be awesome having lots of free time after your job to make cool stuff - keep us posted! - riley

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Is there anything you can't do?

I'm with 1031, what DO you do for a living? I would love to have free time to make stuff like this.

You are a HUGE talent.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Free time is what you make of it. I have completely abandoned watching tv for prop making lately. work is a typical 9 - 5 drudge, but pays the bills and keeps me in cheap supplies.

LMAO!!!!! I was talking to my wife last night, and asked her if she thought that maybe I have been a bit obsessive about the props lately.....

she said, "no, you are just busy.... it's getting close to the deadline"

I sure love her.:) :devil:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah...BTW.

My son is making a dragon to go along with this harry potter event..... rough calculations based on the head that he has finished put it at 18 feet long.

·
Registered
458 Posts
i totally hear ya man - tv is a serious time waster - i rarely sit down to do that either these days - too much cool stuff to build!! 18 feet! what it gonna be made of?

cheap supplies and free time - (sounds like a country song) i think were in heaven :) - riley

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
This should be very cool when you are done.
I had to look "Thestral" up to see what you were talking about.
I'm sure you wil do it justice!
I can not wait till I see how you do the wings....

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Progress shot. I have added some tendons to the legs, basic form for the beginning of the shoulder and hip build-ups, and done a bit of work on the head and neck. He still looks a bit dopey, but coming along.:p

I am building it so the head and legs (and eventually the wings) will come off for storage.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hey DTD ; we were talking about this the other night in chat,your prop is looking good. But I had this pic's stored in photo bucket and I thought I would share with you so maybe you could get some more ideas after you see them, Any way I hope they help you out.The black and white pic is a real hease photo I had. I am a BIIIIIG Harry Potter Fan Too. What do you plan to use to skin him with.? What Did you use to scuplt the head from is that foam?
Horse Drawn Hease pictures by Blinky_12 - Photobucket Good Luck with your prop.
I wanted to make a walkaround of Hagrid but I dont think Im going to have the time.,lol

·
Registered
328 Posts
That looks very very cool!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The head is carved from a block of 2 part urethane foam. I am planning to use black nylon pantyhose and latex for the skin (very much like my rising spirits)

Blinky, do you have any larger pictures of that horse and hearse? It is such a small shot that I can't see any detail.

Last night I started in on the hooves and added some tendons to bulk up the neck and breast. I am hoping to get the wings built this weekend and then I can start in on the skin.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts