Haunt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm just getting into the "electrical" side of the hobby, making things move, and do all that stuff. So, I've been hearing a lot about a "Prop-1" controller.

Am I right on this? (read below)

A prop 1 is plugged into the wall (with the power adapter). There's several outlets on the prop-1 that I can plug things into (a lamp, a spinning motor, etc). Now, there's a program on the computer that is designed to make it so I can have the lamp go on when I want it to, and the motor, etc? What is this program?

·
Registered
871 Posts
well .... the Prop1 does plug into the wall but uses a wall wart which converts the AC current to DC current. The Prop1 uses DC and the "plugs" only output DC. So...you cant power AC lamps or motors directly from the Prop1. You can use a AC/DC relay though and the Prop1 turns the relay on/off to control the lights and motors.

If your talking DC lamps and motors, like LED's and wiper motors, then you can control them directly from the Prop1.

The program is the Stamp Editor free from Parallax and is used to write the instructions and download them to the Prop1. Once the control instructions are downloaded the Prop1 is disconnected from the computer and is a stand alone unit.

Go to the forums at the EFX site and read up on the Prop1. You can also go to the Parallax site and read up on the Basic Stamp 1 which is the brain of the Prop1 and the info directly applies to it. Another excellect resource is the "Whats a Microcontroller" even though its written for the Basic Stamp 2, which is the brain in the Prop2, much of the info applies to the Prop1 and will introduce you to LEDs, capacitors, resistors, potentiometers, servos, and more...

http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/
http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/edu/Wamv2_2.pdf

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
ugh, everytime I feel I want to delve onto this side, I'm reminded why I haven't by my head spinning...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts