Haunt Forum banner
55961 - 55979 of 55979 Posts

·
Super Moderator
64,254 Posts
Supposed to hit 80 later today, but right now the windows are open and fresh air is wafting through the house. It was in the 50s when we were walking the dog this morning - so reminiscent of fall, which I am soooo ready for:)

·
Super Moderator
64,254 Posts
Lots of hammering going on today - we’re getting the old siding replaced (as well as having the house wrapped with Tyvek, which apparently was not a requirement when the house was originally built). The new siding is insulated, so between that and the Tyvek, we’re hoping to get a little reduction in noise and heating/cooling costs.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I don't know if this happens to any of you but every now and then I will think of a person I haven't seen or heard from in a while (it doesn't have to be someone I'm close to but someone who made a mark on me in some sort of way) and then BAM, they show up in my life: I may run into them or they call me or I read about them in a paper or online or they show up at work. This has happened twice this week. First was a few days ago a former patient flashed into my mind, I hadn't thought of her since she left rehab months ago and then there she was admitted again; that broke my heart (a lot more to my relationship with her but hipaa). The second was also a former patient (and a retired RN and a writer). I also loved her but honestly when people leave I want them to be healthy and be gone forever. Even if I think we could be friends I would rather they be out there happy and healthy and have nothing to do with me. Two days ago she popped into my head, after not thinking of her at all and last night an inscribed copy of her latest book was waiting for me in the mail when I came home. Good book; I finished reading it and looked it up on amazon.. No reviews; yet so I guess I'll be the first.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Oh, anyway the first time I remember this happening was with my Mother. I was about four and we lived on Kwajalein (Marshall Islands). I was at a friends house and started flipping out that something was happening to my Mother, I tried to run out of the house to get to my Mother and tripped over a road sign that my friends teenage brother stole (I still have those scars). It turned out to be a minor fire caused by an iron. Everything was fine but I tried to run into the house and a fireman caught me. I have never forgotten that.

·
Clean "cut"
27,578 Posts
PrettyG, I have also had those moments, more to this Universe than what we see

·
Super Moderator
64,254 Posts
There are two squirrels in one of the dogwood trees in our front yard having a disagreement over who gets the right to eat the berries. There are, of course, two trees with berries, but (also of course) the tree with one squirrel in it automatically becomes more desirable in the eyes of a second squirrel.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I love squirrels, I love watching squirrels. I just find them amusing and interesting. Last Friday afternoon I was about to leave for work and popped my head in my bedroom door to say goodbye to Lucy (who was sitting on my window sill) ) and say "guard the house Lucy". It's a ritual, I do it every time I leave for work and she looks at me and meows. Anyway a squirrel came running up on the outside window sill and stared at Lucy and me and then stopped, stared some more and put its front legs up on the window right in front of Lucy, right over her face. Lucy turned and looked at me like "are you seeing this?" and then looked back at the squirrel but did nothing, no meow, no growl. I said "that squirrel is living dangerously Lucy!" She turned again to me and meowed and then looked back at the squirrel. So adorable.

·
Super Moderator
64,254 Posts
One of our neighbors has a small hammock swing on a tree in their yard and I’ve seen squirrels playing in it and making it swing.

·
Headless & Haunting
Creating a massive fundraiser haunted house for our local Scout group.
4,782 Posts
No squirrels for us!

Just when Summer peeked its head around the corner - rain and hail came to remind us that it's not here yet. High temp for the past 2 days - 9 degrees (48F).

Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I’ve seen red squirrels, grey squirrels and black squirrels. The other day was the first time I ever seen a white squirrel.

·
Super Moderator
64,254 Posts
The closest thing we get to a white squirrel here is a possum, which isn’t a squirrel, but it’s kind of white, so….:p:):geek:

·
Super Moderator
64,254 Posts
Note to self - Just because you can eat an entire burrito bowl from Chipotle in one sitting doesn’t mean you should.

·
Batty Beautiful
5,646 Posts
I live in North Georgia ... anyone need some Squirrel Recipes?
Nope! After being in FB lock up over my squirrel meat joke, I'm keeping my distance from all things squirrel. Two weeks ago, Marcus and I were in the park tossing around the football with his youngest boy (soon to be my stepson) and a big nut, acorn or whatever fell on me. I didn't think anything of it, but kept tossing the ball around. Then another acorn or nut hit me and I saw movement in the big trees above me and assumed it was a squirrel. So, I proceeded to make death threats against said squirrel to Marcus's amusement and my soon to be stepson's confusion. I wonder if he realizes what kind of crazy person he's getting for a stepmom. LOL

Also last Tuesday as I was waiting in our van while Marcus ran into the store for some groceries, and a black bird (not sure if it was a crow or Grackle started attacking the van. I don't know if its because of where the van was parked or if animals just don't like me. But it was pecking at the windshield for a good minute before flying away.

So that happened...

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I live in North Georgia ... anyone need some Squirrel Recipes?
OK that made me laugh I actually bought a cookbook from a used book store, a couple of years ago; it has several squirrel recipes. One is for squirrel brains cooked for a newborn. It's to enhance intelligence. The cookbook is by Ronni Lundy but has recipes handed down from the 1700 and 1800s. Shuck Beans, Stack Cakes, And Honest Fried Chicken by Ronni Lundy.

I miss used book stores. Another casualty of covid 19. All the used book stores in Sarasota are gone. They were one of my favorite things. The books you could find..

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I had my second Covid-19 vaccine shot on Wednesday, early morning and was sick as a dog 15 hours later. I worked Wednesday but started feeling awful about 10:00 PM, my temperature was 99.6 and I could hardly wait to get home. At home my temperature shot up to 100, I was off balanced, chills, my skin was on fire but I was freezing (I put on sweatpants and sweatshirt) and nauseous. I had to call off for Thursday. No regrets. After my reaction from the first shot I was expecting this, I just wasn't sure how long it would last. I've seen the results of the Delta Variant up close and personal and this is worth it. A friend of mine at work, really decent person, is back to work after almost 7 weeks. He had the first shot and then caught the Delta Variant. It almost killed him and it did kill his best friend. He has covid brain fog and no one knows if it's reversible.

My brother is dragging his feet on the second shot and I'm worried. With no one else would I push it but with him I want him to have it. Not trying to preach or give an opinion here. I have none. I find my reactions to the injections interesting. I was also very, very reluctant to get the vaccine but now I'm glad I did it I just am not enjoying this part: feeling like I have the worse flu ever. Oh well.

·
Super Moderator
64,254 Posts
It will pass, PG, and certainly a day or so of feeling crappy beats the alternative.

Gorgeous fall weather here today. I’m looking foreard to being able to wear sweaters and sweatshirts again:)

·
Muddled Moderator
28,261 Posts
PG, glad to hear you got your second shot. Sorry you’re having a strong reaction, but it’s better than getting a bad case of COVID.

55961 - 55979 of 55979 Posts