Haunt Forum banner
56281 - 56300 of 56312 Posts

·
Humanitarian of the Year
4,291 Posts
The weather prediction for our area tomorrow went from “less than an inch of snow” to “three to six inches of accumulation”. So nice to be retired and not have to worry about getting the cars shoveled out early in order to get to work.
Kind of like the cable guy being there between "9AM to 2PM"?

·
Muddled Moderator
28,265 Posts
Watching some of the Twilight Zone episodes we recorded. Hope all are enjoying the new year!

Atmosphere Television Automotive lighting Television set Sky

·
Super Moderator
64,334 Posts
Snow ended up not being too bad - got about 3 inches, maybe a tad more. We got the dog walked; had breakfast; then cleared the cars, driveway, sidewalk, and back patio. Now if we could just get a bit of sun, the cleared areas could dry out. If we don’t, it’s going to be pretty icy by morning.

·
Batty Beautiful
5,684 Posts
Happy New Year, and I’ll be happy when this weekend is behind us. Spent part of last evening in the basement with the dog with the music of Midnight Syndicate playing and the dehumidifier running to try and drown out the sound of illegal fireworks going off. She gets very stressed out, and I can believe it’s not much better for veterans who suffer from PTSD.
It was the same way for us. We went out part of the night to pop off some fire works, but poor Jack was freaking out and spent the whole night in the bath tub. I both love and hate fireworks...

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
You haven't set that new phone up yet huh?
You caught that huh? I don't know what is the matter with me. I am just so intimidated by this phone. I just don't want to spend all the time figuring it out and there is no place nearby to help me. Maybe not intimidated so much as lazy; I work and then I just don't want to spend hours setting up a phone. Yet I want all those features, including taking wonderful photos and amazing videos (which this phone promises), so back to what the hell is wrong with me? I have had this phone for months and have done nothing, lol. So embarrassing, but there it is. Actually that is not really true either because as much as I like and want help setting up this phone, it would **** me off if someone did it for me. I like to figure things out for myself. Back to lazy. OK, I'll do it my next day off. Christmas decorations aren't coming down until I take pictures (that might annoy my neighbors if it lasts to long, hehe :evil laugh::). 🎅🎅🎅

·
Super Moderator
64,334 Posts
Still working our way through the episodes of the Twilight Zone we recorded New Year’s weekend. I never fail to be impressed by the enduring relevance to current times that many of the stories have. Rod Serling definitely had amazing insight into human nature.

·
Clean "cut"
27,769 Posts
Happy New Year. Yesterday the high was around 32. A DOT worker didn't lower his boom enough and knocked down the traffic light at the corner that they just put in new last summer over a 2 month period of traffic disruption. But wait, he didn't stop there, he also tore down 3 or 4 power lines, one of which is in the alley behind my house. That accounted for the big boom and the electricity going off at 10:10. Is there more you say?? Well yes there is. The falling power poles ripped electric lines right out of my house!! Had to get an electrician. Froze till the power was restored around 5:35. Found out we had no hot water when we went to bed and tried to wash up. Also today, since we had no heat for so long our sewer froze so more fun in our basement. Silver lining, it didn't happen today when it was a high of 14.

• Wow
Reactions: RoxyBlue

·
Super Moderator
64,334 Posts
Nothing says “great way to start off the new year” like frozen sewer pipes and no hot water:eek: I expect all those folks who got stranded on I-95 due to ice down in Virginia were thinking along the same lines.

·
Clean "cut"
27,769 Posts
^ Definitely another silver lining because I would rather my experience than that one

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
So tonight was bat **** crazy; we had 7 admissions on my wing Most around dinner time. Anyway, I was helping with an admission on another hall and the patient is a retired RN. She is interested in genealogy and how many medical personal are in a medical employee's family. Interesting. My maternal grandmother was a surgical nurse (I keep a framed photo of her, in her nurses dress from 1880 something:::I think:::: in my bedroom:), my maternal Aunt was a RN and my 1st cousin's wife is a doctor. I'm going to bring in my grandmother's picture and show it to her. I think I'm going to upload it and show it to all of you too, lol. Funny I never thought of all this before.

Also, as long as I'm kind of on the topic: I love retired medical personal as patients because it's the only time I get real feedback as to how I'm doing, positive and negative. I love that, I want to know because I want to be better. I get no feedback at all from work.

·
Super Moderator
64,334 Posts
Nothing clears your throat quite like speaking Klingon.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Happy New Year. Yesterday the high was around 32. A DOT worker didn't lower his boom enough and knocked down the traffic light at the corner that they just put in new last summer over a 2 month period of traffic disruption. But wait, he didn't stop there, he also tore down 3 or 4 power lines, one of which is in the alley behind my house. That accounted for the big boom and the electricity going off at 10:10. Is there more you say?? Well yes there is. The falling power poles ripped electric lines right out of my house!! Had to get an electrician. Froze till the power was restored around 5:35. Found out we had no hot water when we went to bed and tried to wash up. Also today, since we had no heat for so long our sewer froze so more fun in our basement. Silver lining, it didn't happen today when it was a high of 14.

OMG!! That is so messed up it made me laugh, I'm so sorry. It's like something out of a really bad SNL movie! I can't believe that happened to you!!! What a pain in the butt! I guess I have no advice except: keep track of the damage, notify the town and make sure they pay for it!

·
Super Moderator
64,334 Posts
Wait...what? Do you speak Klingon?
I just started learning it on Duolingo, so no, not yet. It’s a great brain workout (as well as a laryngeal one since a lot of it is very guttural) because the sentence structure is different from the equivalent English sentence with respect to word order.

·
Clean "cut"
27,769 Posts
Deja vu!! I was at the stove making lunch when flash boom no electricity!! Must have been a critter on the line as all was up and going in about 1/2 hour, thank goodness!!

·
Super Moderator
64,334 Posts
Whew, glad it was only out for half an hour, HR.

·
Typing Lunatic
2,932 Posts
There are still people west of me in the country that are still out of power from the snow / ice storm 9 days ago. They said on the news this morning everyone sure be back on by tomorrow and they are calling for a snow this weekend. Good thing is most of the lines should be all clear for this weekend storm.

·
Clean "cut"
27,769 Posts
^ Guess I should not whine

56281 - 56300 of 56312 Posts