Haunt Forum banner
56741 - 56760 of 56793 Posts

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Thanks PG. It has been a rough time since Aug 22nd. I had a mild heart attack that afternoon and I'm just feeling a bit useless at the moment. Can't even do anything Halloweeny as I am under orders not to strain my heart muscles. Going to change my lifestyle now. Lose weight and get a bit fitter than I was.

(((((DandyBrit))))) I am so sorry to hear this!! Very scary and I know it's almost impossible to not be terrified but try really hard to take as much control as you can. I hope I'm not overstepping but I'd like to suggest you make a list of questions for your Doctors. People forget or are afraid of asking or get bad attitude from Doctors that make them afraid to ask questions about their own health care. If this happens to you, ask anyway, ask a different doctor, ask nurses and CNAs but start with doctors. I get a lot of patients who ask me questions about health care issues they should be asking their doctors and I do research it and get back to them but I think I'm a rarity so ask your doctor. Otherwise you will blank out at your appointments and forget and you want to have as much information as possible to keep yourself healthy.

Your health care provider will probably pay for a consultation with a Nutritionist. Take advantage of this!!! If they don't offer ask (a good Cardiologist is going to offer, if they don't ask) I spent hours with hospital Nutritionists after my Mother's heart attack and it makes a huge difference. I changed diets and her heart improved. Almost no one does this and it is so important!!

Don't be afraid to reach out to family and friends for help but don't let them do everything for you. People go different ways on this: some want people to do everything for them, others refuse to ask for any help. Get a grip. If you need help ask but never allow yourself to become dependent.

Keep a journal. Write down all your questions for your doctors (people forget or are worried about Doctor's getting mad at them, who cares?) Date and time your entries. Write down what you're eating, your diet, salt, fat exercise.

Don't be afraid to live life. Have fun. Be happy! I know you are afraid and sad but you are not alone. You have us and we care!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I had jury duty yesterday, boring as usual. I get called so often and as of this time in life have served on 3 juries. So tired though. Got home at 1am Sunday and up 5am Monday to get there on time. I wasn't picked and spent 7 hours reading Jack McDevitt's Chindi (fantastic) and playing some samurai Sudoku puzzles I brought in. I love Sudoku.

I did do a head count to amuse myself. I was jury member 231. 1 - 342 out of 400 had to come in. Before 10:00 am 80 people were called leaving 24 behind. How many jurists didn't how up? lol. Easy math. I didn't realize how many people blew off jury duty.

·
Super Moderator
64,481 Posts
We both love “Resident Alien”, and “Firefly” was pretty cool, too. That artwork is a great mashup of the two.

·
Registered
519 Posts
(((((DandyBrit))))) I am so sorry to hear this!! Very scary and I know it's almost impossible to not be terrified but try really hard to take as much control as you can. I hope I'm not overstepping but I'd like to suggest you make a list of questions for your Doctors. People forget or are afraid of asking or get bad attitude from Doctors that make them afraid to ask questions about their own health care. If this happens to you, ask anyway, ask a different doctor, ask nurses and CNAs but start with doctors. I get a lot of patients who ask me questions about health care issues they should be asking their doctors and I do research it and get back to them but I think I'm a rarity so ask your doctor. Otherwise you will blank out at your appointments and forget and you want to have as much information as possible to keep yourself healthy.

Your health care provider will probably pay for a consultation with a Nutritionist. Take advantage of this!!! If they don't offer ask (a good Cardiologist is going to offer, if they don't ask) I spent hours with hospital Nutritionists after my Mother's heart attack and it makes a huge difference. I changed diets and her heart improved. Almost no one does this and it is so important!!

Don't be afraid to reach out to family and friends for help but don't let them do everything for you. People go different ways on this: some want people to do everything for them, others refuse to ask for any help. Get a grip. If you need help ask but never allow yourself to become dependent.

Keep a journal. Write down all your questions for your doctors (people forget or are worried about Doctor's getting mad at them, who cares?) Date and time your entries. Write down what you're eating, your diet, salt, fat exercise.

Don't be afraid to live life. Have fun. Be happy! I know you are afraid and sad but you are not alone. You have us and we care!!!!!!!
Thanks for taking the time to compose this for me PG. Yes it is a scary time at the moment. I had never had to stay in hospital before this or even had a sick note for work so it was all new. I am doing as you suggested - writing down things like my daily walk distances, my weight etc down in a notebook. I have a telephone appointment with the cardiac rehab team next week so I will jot down any questions I can think of for that chat. I have changed my diet already - cut out a lot of junk - no crisps (chips as you guys call them), no chocolate, and if I want snacks I choose low fat ones. I have to take this as a wake up call and go from there. Again thank you for the advice. It was really nice of you to do this and I appreciate it a lot!

·
Super Moderator
64,481 Posts
Not weird but I'd like to see a bit of this years. ;)
He’s got a whole thread on this year’s stuff right here:

·
Muddled Moderator
28,261 Posts
Thanks PG. It has been a rough time since Aug 22nd. I had a mild heart attack that afternoon and I'm just feeling a bit useless at the moment. Can't even do anything Halloweeny as I am under orders not to strain my heart muscles. Going to change my lifestyle now. Lose weight and get a bit fitter than I was.
DB, sorry to hear about your health issues. Listen to your doctors and get better soon.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
He’s got a whole thread on this year’s stuff right here:

OK, thank you. I did. Really amazing! Dr. M you are an artist!!!!

Until tonight I had never heard of Mad Science or Steampunk. I had to look it up. I think because I cancelled cable about 7 years ago there are things I am missing.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
This is my new T-shirt.

For those of you that are enjoying "Resident Alien" and did enjoy "Firefly" this is hilarious.

View attachment 22341
I've never seen Resident Alien but love, love loved FireFly! So I guess I don't get it. I'm feeling really out of touch.

·
Batty Beautiful
Just me and my fiancé and sometimes our boys
5,713 Posts
Oh my gosh, there is so much to catch up with! I really need to visit this site more often with Halloween approaching!
I have been pretty busy and unlike before, I'm absolutely enjoying this spooky season! I've made at least three trips to the Spirit store and even bought a few things. I will say that i learned my lesson about buying costume items from there. I bought a pair of gloves and found out that the elastic part needs to be reinforced. I am also watching the baking shows and am loving what The Halloween baking championship. This years theme is 'haunted hotel' and the kickoff episode 'killed it'.

Funny story for you guys. For context, Marcus is a licensed EMT and has seen some things. (His first year was spent working 911 emergencies) Anyway, he loves football and really wanted me to play fantasy football with him and the boys and I'm not a huge fan of sports, but because I love him, I agreed to it. This involves watching more football than I wanted to, so i made a deal with him that he couldn't complain about me watching baking shows no matter if it interrupted game night or not. He agreed to it and this past Monday, the aforementioned baking show came on and he held up his end of the deal. This ended up backfiring on me...epically. The first challenge was basic and didn't really bother me, but the second challenge involved blood splatters on sponge cakes. This also didn't bother me until one of the bakers decided that blood splatters weren't enough and he had to add guts and blood spilling out of the cake when it's cut. Suddenly, he went from reluctantly watching the show to really enjoying himself and he when I told him I was done, he laughed evilly and told me I had to stay and watch because this was the show I wanted to watch. He then tried to tell me some really gross stories of cases he'd taken on as an EMT. I ended the night thoroughly grossed out and he was just enjoying every minute! SMH

·
Clean "cut"
28,313 Posts
I walked into my closest Hobby Lobby and thought I would go blind -- huge displays of Christmas stuff and one section of it already 1/2 price!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whoa!! 56,000 posts in this thread and counting!
Dress shirt Sleeve Tartan Hat Plaid

I've never seen Resident Alien but love, love loved FireFly! So I guess I don't get it. I'm feeling really out of touch.
Alan Tudyk played Hoban Washburne in Firefly, and he's the Alien in Resident Alien. And when you mash together those characters ...
Man, you folks are my people! 🤣 Firefly frickin' ROCKS! I found that little gem just earlier this year purely by mistake. By chance, I came across a movie on Comcast called Serenity. It got great ratings on IMDB, so I figured I'd give it a watch, but just a couple of minutes in I feel like I'm missing something... like I'm being dropped into a story I should know a little about already. Weird feeling. The characters seemed somehow already developed, but I had no idea what I was watching, so I decided to research it a little. Turns out I'm discovering a show that's 20 years old that I never heard of before. So I decide to turn off Serenity and start with Firefly (in the correct order with the pilot first just by luck) and instantly fall in love with the show. I was devastated to finish the first season to find out there were no others to follow. At least I had Serenity to watch tho. So glad I watched Firefly first because obviously all of the characters made sense to me when watching the movie afterwards. I appreciated it much more.

Have you any idea how weird it is to come across a TV series you never heard of before, that's 20 years old, and then absolutely love it? It's like finding a buried time capsule filled with stuff you like. So weird. It's been about 6 months since I watched those for the first time. Might be time to crack open the DVDs I bought a few months ago and watch 'em again. 😁

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Welcome and hello The Haddonfield Slasher! 🎃🎃🎃

I do get how weird it is to come across a TV series you love only to find out it's already cancelled. The same thing happened with me and Firefly. I didn't see it until it was gone and I had watched it all online; I was so mad. Also same thing I had to figure out the correct order, lol. I was excited for it to be maybe picked up because it had so many fans but then Wash and Shepherd Book were killed off and the talented Ron Glass passed away; so that's, that.

So many potential stories just gone. Sad.

Anyhow, how about you and Halloween? :)

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Alan Tudyk played Hoban Washburne in Firefly, and he's the Alien in Resident Alien. And when you mash together those characters ...

Ohhh, yes, now I see it. Wash, the shirt, the dinosaurs he played with! I loved that character! I wish they had kept him alive and left an open door.

I'm going to have to check out Resident Alien. 🎃

56741 - 56760 of 56793 Posts