Haunt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took on the task of making a Leering Larry this year. I had plenty of time until my GF tells me she needs my help with fixing her chimneys on her 100yo house the other week. Then, since she had rented a 50' boom lift for a week, we took two days to cut down, and cut up, a tree in her yard. UGH!!!! Anyway, after all that was done, I was able to put this prop together.......until I got to the mechanism to make him twist!
Out of all the videos I have watched, none of them explain how to attach the first rod to the motor. At first I took some pvc and created some nice pieces that looked great, but they didn't cause him to twist. Then I took a piece of pvc pipe and wired it to the motor so it's movement would be more direct as the motor rotated. Doing this caused the motor to pause and then turn in the opposite direction. I even tried to use my tap and die set to thread the post so I could tighten the pvc to it, but couldn't get it started and then the post started to move when I would get a bite on it.
How do I get this motor to work the right way? I know I am down to the wire, but I had hoped to get this done the other week, had I not had to help my GF, I could have thought this out in time. Now I am having to come to you guys.

This is the post from the motor
Fluid Wood Household hardware Tap Plumbing fixture

Here is the attachment that came on it.
Wood Rectangle Gadget Font Cable

Here they are together.

Wood Table Gas Flooring Serveware

Here are the various extensions that I have tried to get to work.
Musical instrument Wood Wind instrument Flute Recorder

Please, can someone help me figure this out?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you see this video? It shows the mechanics pretty well
[video]
A motor that pauses and reverses is usually binding in my experience. Can you simulate the motion of all the parts without the motor attached, just to make sure your geometry is all in order?
Thanks. Yes, I just saw that video a while ago. I had been watching a few videos; one in particular is the one from Blanck Mortuary. I commented on his asking for help and he led me to the same video you did. But the problem is, that if you look closely, that first bar is screwed onto the plastic arm on the motor, and then zip-tied.
Table Wood Twig Automotive exterior Ceiling

Look at my post; my arm is much shorter and it's not designed for a screw to go down into the top of it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could you drill a hole in the motor bracket, counter sink with a larger bit, then install a countersunk screw through it? Then you could drill 2 holes in your first arm and use a nut on your new screw to hold it down. I haven't made this one, but looking at what I have seen so far, that would be my best guess. Glad you are up and going either way!
That is a brilliant idea!! I love it!! I was thinking of trying to tap it a put a small screw into it from the top, but I knew it wouldn't have held. But, coming up from the bottom is a stroke of genius. As long as I could counter sink it enough, it would work. The only thing I would worry about is that little bolt that holds it onto the motor post. It's so small, If it doesn't go down by a just a couple millimeters, I can't run that bolt through.

I did have an idea on my way to my parents to go set up though. My public library has a laser scanner and a 3D printer. I could have them scan this piece and just add another post to it coming out like the screw would. It wouldn't cost but a couple of bucks and I don't have to worry about messing up the original.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts