Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried painting a prop w/ Wildfire's clear UV paint. The problem I'm having is that it comes out all streaky even though I'm using a foam brush. Any suggestions? Do you think it would work better if I used a spray bottle?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Paint with the blacklight on - that'll let you see how the paint is going on.

Did you mix the paint really well before painting? The flourescent pigment might be seperating out from the clear medium.

I've used sprits bottles & compressed air tanks (usually for spraying insecticide) with some good results. you get a more stippled effect with them than you would with an aresol can. but sometimes this is a good thing.

If the paint is going to be a few feet away from the viewer It'll hardly be noticable.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the only way to really get an even, streak free finish is to apply it with an airbrush. you could experiment with thining it slightly to minimize brush strokes, but it will probably affect the glowing properties somewhat

·
Registered
148 Posts
Try sponge brushing the paint on. It will look more "spackled", but it eliminates the streaks and will help cover the area uniformly. You can apply several coats over time to increase coverage. This worked for a prototype skull I had, until I was able to find an aerosol can of glow-in-the-dark paint.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Try sponge brushing the paint on. It will look more "spackled", but it eliminates the streaks and will help cover the area uniformly. You can apply several coats over time to increase coverage. This worked for a prototype skull I had, until I was able to find an aerosol can of glow-in-the-dark paint.
Where were you able to find the aerosol can of glow-in-the-dark paint?

People have said Walmart but none of the walmarts in my area carry it.

Only Krylon Liquid, which BTW is not very good. It doesnt stay glowing for too long. :(

·
Registered
687 Posts
I ordered some of this BLACKLIGHT UV PAINT BRIGHT FIERCE GLOW INVISIBLE BLUE & one in WHITE UV Paint today and should get it next week.

Read what they have to say about the UV paint on that page, among : "Sun light will fade most colors and is likewise quite damaging to ClearNeon paint (it will fade it out in a few hours .... meaning there will no longer be much fluorescence), so it's important not to use it in or expose it to direct sunlight. " and "Also, and which coincidentally also saves you money, only one coat is necessary in normal use (applying multiple coats reduces the paint's effectiveness considerably)."

I've never used blacklight paint, I just know the Kmart flying ghosts and white bed sheets for a ghost with a dowel rod stuck into the ground and a styrofoam craft ball for a head glowed well under the Walmart 18" blacklight bolts.

Here's what I'm going to try with the paint this year and what I shared with Alan at QUANTUM LEAP UNLIMITED who's selling the UV paint. "I plan on making an entry archway tunnel for my yard haunt display out of 1" dia PVC 4.5'w x 7'h x 5.5' d. I'll use strips of black plastic. Eitherthe kind you find in the painting section or the lawn & garden section. Or I may use flat black bed sheets. But I'll be painting on that black material with the UV paint to be on the insides of the 'tunnel' the Trick-or-Treaters will have to walk thru. I'll hang a 24" fluorescent black light bolt and have a mini strobe inside with a fog machine and iPod speakers hidden on the outside. It will only be up for one night. But will be out during the day, so I may test some paint on the outside of the tunnel to see what the sun does to it. I've never tried black light paint on black material but all indications say it should work fine. I basically got the idea from haunted houses I've been to. They even paint the black plywood walls. I have to assume the use UV paint because white spray paint doesn't work (otherwise only material that's bleach white will glow). I've also seen people smear UV hand stamps on their face that you can't see outdoors, but it glows under black lights of a haunted house or night club. That's the affect I hope to achieve. I think by reading the info on the eBay description the paint should work good."

·
Registered
687 Posts
Fyi, Alan at QUANTUM LEAP UNLIMITED says he does sell UV aerosol spray paint. I don't think it's listed on the eBay store, but I'm planning on buying a can of the Clear Neon brand he emailed me about after understanding what it is I'm trying to do wiht the paint. I'll try it and will post my results in a week. Here's what he says: "And it's quite good (about 7 oz, and 14.95 a can but covers about 60 sq ft, and 8.00 to ship 1-8 cans via UPS) Drawback is it can only ship via UPS (airline regulations)....I'm used to buyers getting their stuff via postal in 2-3 days, but 'friggin UPS can take 5 days sometimes. I say 'carry' it, but don't stock it...it'd be drop shipped direct from the factory. It's a new formula that's only been out since late September. I've not heard of any application problems with ClearNeon.....every manufacturer uses their own 'proprietary' formula, so it's easy to see why some brands might be temperamental."

·
Registered
139 Posts
For brush painting, one thing that gives reasonable results is to mix your glow paint into another compatible medium. Then all you have to worry about is getting a reasonably opaque coating of it. It's still a little streaky, but generally a lot better than trying to apply a light, even top coat of pure glow paint.

I mixed acrylic glow paint into acrylic black, and painted a set of wig heads. They are displayed against a black background. Where the contours remain in shadow, they remain black, and blend into the background, for a pseudo-transparent effect.

You may need to work a little bit to get the right mixture of glow to non-glow base, in order to achieve the right level of brightness. Since you put on a good thick coat with this technique, it glows like crazy, so a little glow paint goes a long way. I'd recommend starting with the pure base color and gradually adding glow paint until you get the glow you want. Don't trust how it glows still in the mixing jar, try painting a test patch under black light. (Mine turned out a little brighter than I wanted. I may have to redo it for next year.)

I concur that a foam brush is probably better than a bristle brush, or even better, foam makeup applicator sponges.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Fyi, Alan at QUANTUM LEAP UNLIMITED says he does sell UV aerosol spray paint. I don't think it's listed on the eBay store, but I'm planning on buying a can of the Clear Neon brand he emailed me about after understanding what it is I'm trying to do wiht the paint. I'll try it and will post my results in a week. Here's what he says: "And it's quite good (about 7 oz, and 14.95 a can but covers about 60 sq ft, and 8.00 to ship 1-8 cans via UPS) Drawback is it can only ship via UPS (airline regulations)....I'm used to buyers getting their stuff via postal in 2-3 days, but 'friggin UPS can take 5 days sometimes. I say 'carry' it, but don't stock it...it'd be drop shipped direct from the factory. It's a new formula that's only been out since late September. I've not heard of any application problems with ClearNeon.....every manufacturer uses their own 'proprietary' formula, so it's easy to see why some brands might be temperamental."

How about a follow up? How was this spray paint? How did it turn out? Was it worth it?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
While I haven't tried that brand in particular, I've always had less than satisfactory results using the clear UV. I have had better success in just mixing Rit in with the underlying colors before applying them.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes Vlad, I'd like to hear the details also.

For my part, I tried both the UV 4oz paint that's applied with a foam brush on black tarp used as a roof of an entry archway with a blacklight bolt making a random painted pattern glow in the dark.

I had tested small spots of the clear and blue Clear Neon UV spray paint. For my use, the brushed-on paint worked fine. The spray didn't achieve the effect I wanted for my specific use on black tarp. But I only tested a couple small dots. Perhaps if more of it was sprayed on a plywood wall, foam gargoyle type of props, wood tombstones or something other than my black tarp it would be satisfactory. I have no plans to build anything like that.

So if anyone wants those barely used cans of UV spray paint. I'll sell them both for $20 shipped. Payment via PayPal. I paid $40 shipped for both of them. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
How well something like UV paints work is definitely a subjective opinion, relative to the project involved. I do have brush on UV paints, and although they are highly UV reactive, they were a bit garish for the project I was doing at the time. I bought some RIT whitener in powder form, and mixed it with some acrylic paint. It gave off a more subdued UV glow that I needed. I haven't tested this method with other paints.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I'm sure that the chemical properties that make some paints resistant to sun fade, will also inhibit the amount of glow that UV additives can give. It definitely is an unexplored region as far as I can tell, I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think it says on the cans that you can't leave it out in sunlight. I would guess UV spraypaint works better longer indoorslike haunted houses I've seen.

I wish I could find it, but my computer's been screwy and I lost the bookmark, might even be on this site, but there was a guy who went nuts with the UV spraypaint on a fake crypt or mausoleum and tombstones, and the night photos looked great for what it was. That type of thing is a little too much for my tastes to do myself, but admittedly it had impact. He basically painted where there would normally be highlights on 3D objects like gargoyles and doors etc. So from seeing that I know it can be done. But I don't know if he had the paint on it during daylight. He must have. It was too much work to do when it got dark. I just wish I could find the darn web site to illustrate it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, Blacklight Productions is run by Larry Kirchner who also owns Haunt World. I spend a lot of my time there and they have helped in so many ways when I decided to go pro.

This thread is of interest to me since my theme this year is Killer Klownz and you can't have such a theme without a UV section happening somewhere. Last year, we had a UV section with approximately 16 cupboard doors of all sizes paint with UV paint around the trim (Monsters would popout from different cupboards). We used Walmart's flourescent paint in a small can and applied it with a foam brush. It worked out fine although we had to apply two coats. Unfortunately, they only had two colors available at the time: Orange and Yellow. I know that some carry other colors so I'll be checking on it throughout the year.

Also keep in mind that your blacklight has a lot to do with your results, as well. The wattage is so very important. Even though our cupboard scene wasn't in a large area, we used two of the 2' florescent tubes. I'm ditching the tubes this year and getting a very powerful Blacklight such as Chauvet's Black Shadow which is 125w. NEVER use the regular looking light bulbs with the filaments inside that claim to be blacklights....they are not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts