Haunt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Probably not very easy, since the LEDs are most likely soldered down pretty close on a circular circuit board. I'm sure it could be done if you had the time and patience.

And then you'd have to change out the dropping resistor to something a lot smaller, since the forward voltage drop of the UV LEDs is anywhere between 3.9 and 4.5 Volts -- and with 3 AA batteries you've only got 4.5 Volts to work with. Forward drops on white LEDs are around 3.2 to 3.8 Volts.

But making a spotlight out of a tight grouping of UV LEDs is certainly possible without too much trouble.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about this: a link to a UV flashlight. Ba-da-bing.

http://www.theledlight.com/uv_flashlights.html
I suppose but when you are comparing the costs of a $19 flash light + some cheap UV LEDS from e-bay vs $500 for this model XeLED-32UV-R-375 I just might be worth the work.

I think I might pick up a couple to see what I can do. When I have time after Halloween ;)

Thanks for the link and the input :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
Hey SpectreTMM, I have 50 UV LEDs from BestHongKong on the way, total cost $9.99. They didn't specify a brightness other than 'intensly bright', however they are directional (20 degrees) and I plan on building a few UV spots with them. I will post results when I can.

The AC 110 LED spots have a stated intensity of 10k mcd, if that is for the whole spot that is not very bright. I have seen 10mm LEDs that are 60K mcd.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I just ordered the 4 pack bulb package from joshschaf post. I will let you know about the brightness.

Did not order UV light, just happy for the link. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey SpectreTMM, I have 50 UV LEDs from BestHongKong on the way, total cost $9.99. They didn't specify a brightness other than 'intensly bright', however they are directional (20 degrees) and I plan on building a few UV spots with them. I will post results when I can.

The AC 110 LED spots have a stated intensity of 10k mcd, if that is for the whole spot that is not very bright. I have seen 10mm LEDs that are 60K mcd.
Hey HJ,

Thanks for the info. I ordered a boat load of the UV LED's From Hong Kong as well last yr.
I haven't had a chance to use them yet. That is why I was asking about the flash light at
the top of the thread. Please let me know your progress.

Thanks for the info.

I just ordered the 4 pack bulb package from joshschaf post. I will let
you know about the brightness.

Did not order UV light, just happy for the link. Sorry for hijacking the thread.
No Prob Slimey,
To me you are still on topic and I welcome the advice and input. After all
isn't that what this forum is about sharing ideas :D

I'd still like to know If anyone has the UV versions of those spots. I really like the concept.
110 is so much easier to work with.

I was toying with the idea of the low voltage lights like Malibu and using a rectifier to convert
the low voltage AC to low voltage DC to run LED Spots.

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
Hey HJ,

Thanks for the info. I ordered a boat load of the UV LED's From Hong Kong as well last yr.
I haven't had a chance to use them yet. That is why I was asking about the flash light at
the top of the thread. Please let me know your progress.

Thanks for the info.
LEDs came in today, prototyped a quick spot with 5 LEDs, and I am happy with the effect! I'm gonna try and snap some comparison pics tomorrow night with the FCG. So a $9 bag of 50 LEDs, with $2.50 in 9 volt batery clips will give me 10 small LED spots.

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
Did an experiment with the UV LED spotlight I built using 5 5mm <395mm LEDs I bought on ebay, 50 for $9.99. Comparing to an 18" blacklight on the FCG he LED spot didn't light up the ghost nearly as much as the 18" light (big suprise).

What I did find suprising is that from about 3 feet with the LED spot, a bottle of UV reactive paint glowed as much as it did using the 18" light from the same distance. In fact the only way you can really tell the spot in the photos is that the left side of the table is dark in the LED spot light photo (the LED spots are very directional).

In conclusion I think the LED spots (with 5 LEDs) will work great for isolated displays using black light reactive stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts