Haunt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I got to brain storming today on how to make duplicate body parts and skulls etc, and the ways around having to use foam to cast them. And Plastic Vacuum Forming came to mind. has anyone tried this process or know of any good books/videos or how-to's on the subject? I would really like to give this project a go. Later all. :jol:

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
I did a little research a while back on this..While vacuforming is a great tool, it wont create parts with undercuts...meaning, a whole skull would be impossible. It would only do the upper half of the top part of a skull, or just a face, as you wouldn't be able to remove the plastic off of the "buck" or positive mold otherwise. It WOULD be great for making halves of parts that you could glue together to make a whole piece, or for making plastic molds.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen some pretty detailed skulls done with vacu form, and I cant remember there is a Halloween business on the internet that only sells vacu formed props pretty cheap. I was just looking at a page before about vacuforming a storm troopers helmet from star wars it had alot of undercuts and detail and still worked pretty well. I can see there is no way you can get a skull out without cutting the plastic I wonder how they did the ones I saw? :jol:

·
Bataholic
2,725 Posts
That was cool!!!! Now I know what you guys are talking about! :googly: LOL Thanks for that link SpectreTTM!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
*BUMP*

I just saw this thread... I have a book called "Do It Yourself Vacuum Forming For the Hobbyist" by Doug E. Walsh; if you Google it you'll find a dozen places selling it. Absolutely everything you need to know about vacforming; temperatures, different plastic types and thicknesses, comparative vacuum sources, etc etc. Gives plans for building vacform rigs from little bitty breadbox size ones built for couch change to professional standalone rigs. If you're even remotely interested in vacforming, buy it... for 15 bucks you'll have pretty much all the info you'll need to get your self set up and forming.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Cool! Thanks caretaker!

There's also detailed plans for a pro-sized stand-alone (oven and former) machine in Thurston James' The Prop Builder's Molding and Casting Handbook, which is an all-around awesome resource I think every stage manager, FX man, and haunter should own.

I dug out my copy of that vacforming book I mentioned earlier and I was wrong; there are no actual plans for building a big machine. But it gives you everything you need to get started with small equipment on the cheap. I know a cpl guys who do RC cars who have that book and they make some very cool pro-looking stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts